C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: How do you remove these nuts from under the center console

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2001, 08:39 PM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: How do you remove these nuts from under the center console

First off, I'd like to smack the person who put these bolts here :smash: :cuss

Anyway, I'm sure that I am missing something. I'm trying to remove the center instrument cluster to fix my clock, replace radio, and ultimately replace my heater core. Car is a 1972 coupe. I removed the passenger side dash pad, no problem. I see that there are 2 studs going down from the center console that attach to a supporting steel bracket via 3/8 nuts. How in the He!! are you supposed to remove these nuts :confused:

I read the Haynes manual, and got a classic recommendation :crazy: Under the "radio removal" section it says to remove the center console first. Under the "center console removal" section it says to remove the radio first :cry

Anyway, enough of my b!tching for now. Can anyone tell me how to get these nuts off. Do I need to remove the parking brake and shifter console as well? Do I need a special GM# tool? Any help would be appreciated :cheers: :yesnod:

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2001, 09:17 PM
noxqsz
Instructor

Default Re: HELP: How do you remove these nuts from under the center console (thejaf)

Jeff;

I believe if you remove the two quasi-rectangular trim pieces that attach to the steel reinforcement for the center console at the forward end, you can get your hand into position to remove those two nuts. I used a 1/4" drive ratchet with a deep well socket to get mine off. Removal of those trim pieces should also give you the access you need to remove the radio. BTW, after you take the radio out, if you remove the screws along the side of the console, and the screws that attach the gauge cluster bezel to the right and left sides of the dash, and the emergency brake console, then the shifter console and the gauge bezel should move around enough to make it easier to get those two nuts loose. What I did was just take everything out and clean it up and familiarize myself with how it all fit together. Also, if you don't yet have an AIM, it's a big help with figuring some of this stuff out. Well worth the $25 just in saved frustration.

[Modified by noxqsz, 5:19 PM 10/10/2001]
Old 10-10-2001, 09:30 PM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HELP: How do you remove these nuts from under the center console (noxqsz)

Thanks for the info! I'll remove the parking brake console then, getting more practice at that rear bolt you have to contourt to remove inside the jack compartment :smash:

My "While I'm at it" list keeps getting longer :yesnod: :bb
Old 10-10-2001, 09:34 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HELP: How do you remove these nuts from under the center console (thejaf)

I removed my center console, and helped my buddy remove his 73 console so I can tell you how we did it. First, remove the shifter **** and T handle. Then unscrew the console shifter plate, remove the ash tray and cigarette lighter. Next remove the heating/cooling/fan switch. This should be held in by 2 (I think) screws and has a vacuum hookup for the Astro Ventilation. Next, you have to remove the center console side covers, up near the dash as well as the chrome trims screws. I also had the emergency parking brake console out for other reasons and I can tell you that it was easier to do it this way than by leaving it in. However, removing the back bolt that goes through the aft bulkhead is a PITA. Once all of this stuff is loose, I was able to work a 1/4" drive socket under there and remove the two nuts. It isn't easy and once you have it done you won't want to do it again. Fix EVERYTHING that might need fixing now.

Gary
Old 10-10-2001, 11:09 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: HELP: How do you remove these nuts from under the center console (GaryS)

On my 72 those nuts are 5/16. I welded a 3/16 rod onto the side of a socket to get in there and loosen the nuts. From that point on I was able to turn them off.
Old 10-10-2001, 11:44 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guess what I was doing today? Man, I hate dash work! My efforts were on putting the center console back, no easier than taking apart. It is one royal pain to get the 1/4 inch ratchet under there even with the radio out. There had to be a better way. This is what I came up with: Coup' (couple) nuts. The size of the bolt & thread is a #10-24 (24 being the thread count per inch). These nuts are about 3/4" long and make it much easier to get an open end or closed end ratchet wrench on them.

Once the lower and upper consoles are bolted together, I then installed the radio, and then positioned the joined consoles where they bolt to the brackets on the transmission tunnel. Yes, my L88 will have a radio even though it is somewhat doubtful that I will be able to hear it.

It's amazing how many wires, vacuum tubes, cables, etc. fit behind and under there. It seems to make changing a throw out bearing a piece of cake.

Chuck

[Modified by Chuck Harmon, 7:48 PM 10/10/2001]
Old 10-11-2001, 12:18 AM
TCTBBB
Intermediate

Default Re: HELP: How do you remove these nuts from under the center console (Chuck Harmon)

Removing the the nuts is easy. You need the hands the size of a three year old and the strength of Arnold.:lol:

Actually a 1/4" drive socket set AND a 1/4" drive universal joint is what I used. It is still a PITA.

TCT
Old 10-11-2001, 04:55 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: HELP: How do you remove these nuts from under the center console (TCTBBB)

After removing these nuts the first time, I replaced them with wing nuts.
Old 10-11-2001, 09:45 AM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HELP: How do you remove these nuts from under the center console (flynhi)

Thanks for everyone's advice. I will get to it as soon as I get better. Currently stuck at home with the flu, but not enough energy to work on the car :(

After removing these nuts the first time, I replaced them with wing nuts.
Yes, yes, yes!!!! :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

I will do that!!! I don't know what radio I want to upgrade to yet (original AC Delco in the car) so I would rather just wait and fix the clock and heater core, worry about radio later. Wing nuts sound like a great idea, as I can barely squeeze my hand in there with the radio in place.
Old 10-12-2001, 06:51 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nevermind - dupe. That's what I get for not reading all the replies before hitting the post button. :p:

[Modified by Juliet, 5:53 PM 10/12/2001]
Old 10-13-2001, 10:06 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

..... My "While I'm at it" list keeps getting longer
Of course it does, that's how my entire interior (all carpet, all trim, all dashs, all gauges, etc) got "fixed".
Old 10-13-2001, 11:00 AM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: HELP: How do you remove these nuts from under the center console (KenSny)

I agree with all you guys. Dash work sucks! :smash: You can tell by working on it that the engineer who designed it never turned a wrench in his life. One more point...if you are going to take apart the center console, disconnect the battery. The orange wire to the cigarette lighter is always hot! :eek:

AC

[Modified by A C, 9:00 AM 10/13/2001]
Old 04-09-2012, 11:47 AM
longnose624
Intermediate

I cannot find any old posts to help me with this question: I am trying to take my gage bezel off in my 1978. Somebody said I need to take the side carpeted panels off. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to take the carpeted panels off the side of the center console. The panels are on the side of the console very tight and won't move. Do I need to take the whole center console off to remove the carpeted side panels? Please someone help me! Thanks!
Old 04-09-2012, 03:53 PM
brrujo
Advanced

Wing nuts....genius!!!

Get notified of new replies

To HELP: How do you remove these nuts from under the center console

Quick Reply: HELP: How do you remove these nuts from under the center console