C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Effect on engine run without air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 11:33 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by 73-84 IMSA Widebody
Does anyone have recommendations for 3.5" fuel injection velocity stacks, Booties, caps, whatever.
Whatever happened to tennis ***** on a string?
Old 03-03-2007, 08:00 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by noonie
I have seen several tests that show K&N filters allow more wear particles into the oil than a factory filter.
I guess do your own tests to be sure.
One oil analysis with K&N
Another with stock filter
Correct.
Oil analysis w/ K&N air filters usually show the Fe and Si are elevated.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:32 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by GDaina
do you have a cold chamber hood? if yes, use the L-88 filter, seal, flame arestor, and, drop down base. If you don't have the cold air chamber, then use, as many have suggested, the drop down base..I'm not sure if the L-88 has a longer drop than the aftermarket...but you can get an element and top that will fit under your hood. If the carb stud is too long, trim it.
No cold air chamber. I need to do some more measuring but it looks like a drop base may be very close to the top of the HEI.

My intake was 5-7/8" tall with the carb mounting surface machined parallel to the bottom. I had it angle milled to remove 3/8" from the front and now the carb sits relatively level. This made a big improvement but not quite enough.

I don't know who manufactured my hood, it appears to be hand laid. I measured from the cowl up to the raised portion at the back of the hood and it's 2". I was under the impression that these hoods were raised 3", or am I measuring at the wrong place?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:07 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 853 Likes on 624 Posts

If anyone wants to do some interesting reading, go to the bobistheoilguy.com site and read up about what many have found on the K+N filters. As others have said in this thread, some of the UOA's with these filters are downright scary. I no longer run one on anything.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:57 PM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

I wouldn't even run my lawn mower without an air filter.

Quick Reply: Effect on engine run without air cleaner