C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shortened steering column

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 02:32 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Shortened steering column

Anybody done this or know of a source for a replacement that will fit? I'm 6'1", and I need to move the wheel forward. Mines not tilt/tele, so I'm not worried about messing with it or replacing it. Thanks!

Hans
Old 10-08-2001, 03:50 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Shortened steering column (Wrencher)

I'm 6'1 and I love my tilt Tele! and yes the seat is all the way back and the steering wheel is all the way forward!

( no my knuckles do not drag on the ground when I walk!)
Old 10-08-2001, 04:24 PM
rrent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure and know womeone will know for sure but - I think Chevy shortened the column a couple of inches in '77. You don't want a '77 cause thats the single year with wiper controls on the turn signal stalk - but a later years should pretty much be a bolt in.

good luck
Old 10-08-2001, 04:44 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

That's funny, here I am at 6'5" and most of my height in my backbone, with extra vertebrae....normally I"d be 6'1" or so....
anyway, I have seat all the way back and wheel all the way toward me...and still my arms are extended too far...so....

I just finished moving wheel well forward about 2" on bottom, moving pedals similarly, which moves my knees down several inches it seems.....
and the seat may now be able to be lowered 2 inches, battle to do it, I know, but it has to be done....that will make my head quit hitting the top getting in and out....wasn't a problem on the '87, but on my '72, yup, it is....

mine's a custom anyway, so big, deal, it'a a bit more custom...goes with the rack and pinion steering....

GENE
Old 10-08-2001, 04:54 PM
Bifkin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Shortened steering column (mrvette)

I'm in the process of having my standard column switched out with a tilt/tele from an 80. Everything went ok, I got the column from vette hangout down in FLA for $365 (inc. shipping). I think they have some more columns available. The only thing it didn't come with is the horn button and the stand/shim. Talk to Iggy (I think he owns the place), hes pretty cool.
Old 10-08-2001, 06:28 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Shortened steering column (Bifkin)

I replaced my stock non tilt tele with a core tilt tele for ten bucks....just ten bucks...PLUS repair parts from GM dealer....Pontiac dealer was cheaper than chebby...one's I checked anyway....so I have a stepchild readheaded steering column...but it works!!! I"m thinking of shimming it off the firewall a bit here, maybe a block of wood, a 2x6 or something...that way I can get my arms relaxed a bit, even with the wheel all the way out, it's too long for comfortable drives, like a raceing position....but strange thing, it is now further toward me than the stock non tilt tele...go figger....

told you I was weird....

GENE
Old 10-08-2001, 09:47 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Another option is a Grant 13'' wheel with 1'' depth. I had to file in the attach notches to make it fit, but it sure is much more comfortable.
Old 10-09-2001, 06:53 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Default Re: Shortened steering column (AlwaysWave)

I've considered the small wheel, but without power steering, I don't want to go much below 14". My understanding is that the tilt/tele is the same distance forward as the non-tilt when it is all the way in. I want to physically section out 2" or so from the shaft and housing...

Hans
Old 10-09-2001, 07:51 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hans

In 77 the column was shortened 2" & a 14" Grant w/ a shallower dish bolts on the tilt/tele to make even closer to dash. 77 has the wiper switch on column as C5. 77 UP has dimmer switch on column. Run it full forward & moved both switches on mine to where they belong.

:cool:
Old 10-10-2001, 08:23 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Hans,
I do not recommend even attempting to section and shorten the steering column in your 69. That part you need to section consists of a solid strg shaft and two thin wall concentric tubes that were designed to telescope in a severe collision. You will compromise that function if you try to cut and weld.

You should be able to install a 1978 or 1979 standard column or a 1978 thru 1982 T&T column in your 69 without too much hassle. Go to http://www.corvettefaq.com and look under Suspension and Steering. I have two papers, 77+ Steering Column in Early C3s and Steering Wheel and Horn Parts which could be of help to your project.
Old 10-10-2001, 12:24 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Default Re: Shortened steering column (Jim Shea)

Thanks Jim, That s great. I'll probably do the later one if I can find one locally.

Hans
Old 10-10-2001, 09:22 PM
Tom Johnson
Pro

Hey Always, Where did you get your steering wheel? Was the one you installed for a Vette? Can you use your stock horn button?
Old 10-10-2001, 11:21 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Shortened steering column (Tom Johnson)

Hey Always, Where did you get your steering wheel? Was the one you installed for a Vette? Can you use your stock horn button?
Go to the Grant site to look at the wheels. I bought it through Summit. My 13'' wheel looks like a mini of the original. I had to grind, file and drill the 13" to fit and mount. I just used the original as a template. Once you make the other wheel fit, the horn button fits automatically. The horn button diameter is exactly the same diameter as the 13" wheel center section. Took about 2 hours work.
Old 10-11-2001, 04:38 PM
Tom Johnson
Pro

Alwayswave, Does your steering column have tilt/tel?
Old 10-11-2001, 08:16 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Shortened steering column (Tom Johnson)

Alwayswave, Does your steering column have tilt/tel?
No it doesn't. But it looks like a 77 or newer column may be coming for it. I still want more room.
Old 10-12-2001, 01:29 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

When any of you guys install a 1977 or later column in your early C3s, I would be very interested in any problems (and solutions) that you might have had with the installation. In particular, what did you use as the lower panel close-out under the column. As I mentioned before, I think the later columns are just a bit larger in diameter (just in that area.) But I was not able to determine if the old panel would fit or if a panel from a 77 or later Vette would work.

I was able to review the actual engineering drawings of the old and later C3 steering columns so I am 99% sure that they will bolt right in. It is true that from 1977 to 1982, the columns were shortened just about 2 inches and therefore will place the steering wheel further away from you by that amount.

I think my paper that is posted on Terry Rudy's corvettefaq.com websight could be a big help if you are going to make this change. And I would be happy to update the paper with any problems or findings that you guys may uncover.
Old 10-12-2001, 03:13 PM
Tex71BB
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Shortened steering column (mrvette)

...maybe a block of wood, a 2x6 or something...
Better be careful, with talk like that, people may try to change your name to Bubba. :lol: Seriously, though, if you take that route, be sure to take your car in once a year for a termite inspection. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Shortened steering column

Quick Reply: Shortened steering column