C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

evaporative control canister

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 08:54 AM
greyghost79
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default evaporative control canister

any issues with just disconnecting the vacuum line from the evaporative control canister to the carb. i did and the car seems to run and idle better. any reason i can't just disconnect this system? also, there seems to be two vacuum lines from the canister. one small diameter like the headlight hose and one larger diameter like the PCV hose. why two?
Old 02-21-2007, 11:44 AM
greyghost79
Burning Brakes

anybody???
Old 02-21-2007, 03:10 PM
ccs96
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor 06-'07

My car's system was long gone when I bought it. Don't see a problem other than more hydrocarbons escaping into the air.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:48 PM
79tnvette
Instructor

I disconnected mine a while back and asked the same question and everyone said it was ok. I do believe someone said to put a vented gas cap on since capping it will build up negative pressure but Ive noticed no issues but I dont think Ive put gas in since then.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:57 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

One line goes to the tank vent, the other goes to the vacuum system and opens the valve on the canister to return the vapor into the system to be burned. The 3/8 line goes to the floatbowl vent on the carb.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:34 PM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 364 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by 79tnvette
I disconnected mine a while back and asked the same question and everyone said it was ok. I do believe someone said to put a vented gas cap on since capping it will build up negative pressure but Ive noticed no issues but I dont think Ive put gas in since then.
I ordered a vented gas cap last week, can't wait to plug that piece a' crap cannister up, hope it will get rid of the gas smell in the garage. I think it's pretty much plugged up as it is, I get a lot of pressure in my gas tank after a short drive; open the tank and the cap practically jumps a foot! Scarry.............
Old 02-22-2007, 09:14 PM
greyghost79
Burning Brakes

well, gosh then i have another question. my 79 L82 didn't have a screw on gas cap when i got it. it's always had a "quick fill" cap. spring loaded opening in the middle of a cap that doesn't appear to screw off. you just insert the fuel nozzle in the little spring loaded area. was this stock? or and aftermarket mod? hope someone can answer this. since it's not air tight i assume its considered a vented cap. thanks for any info.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:06 PM
greyghost79
Burning Brakes

anybody?
Old 02-22-2007, 11:54 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

The right thing to is to fix the canister. It should not be a vac leak. Fix it and hug a tree all at the same time. Thats one system that does not suck up horsepower. You will probably find that the fume problem gets worse, since the canisters job is to contain them.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:33 AM
SEVNT6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,860 Likes on 848 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by greyghost79
well, gosh then i have another question. my 79 L82 didn't have a screw on gas cap when i got it. it's always had a "quick fill" cap. spring loaded opening in the middle of a cap that doesn't appear to screw off. you just insert the fuel nozzle in the little spring loaded area. was this stock? or and aftermarket mod? hope someone can answer this. since it's not air tight i assume its considered a vented cap. thanks for any info.
Quick fill caps are aftermarket.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:35 AM
1Z87L8
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
The right thing to is to fix the canister. It should not be a vac leak. Fix it and hug a tree all at the same time. Thats one system that does not suck up horsepower. You will probably find that the fume problem gets worse, since the canisters job is to contain them.

sixfooter,
i dont want to hijack this thread but this is basically what i asked
a couple of days ago in my edelbrock post.

my dilemma is the edlebrock has no provisions for the 3/8s
line that was on my original Q-jet and i was asking where this line
should go.
i have the PCV hooked up and the vacuum line connected and the 3/8 plugged for now, i dont want to remove the system because once lars is back doing carbs again im going to have him rebuild my original Q-jet
and reinstall it and hook everything back to stock.

any ideas other than plugging as others have done is appreciated.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:47 AM
greyghost79
Burning Brakes

well, with all the other emission stuff already removed by previous owner, cat, smog pump, EGR, etc. hard for me to believe disconnecting the cannister on my 79 is going to send the global warming situation over the tipping point, especially with 2 billion chinamen building a new coal plant ever 3 days and putting 10,000 new vehicles a day (yup) on the roads of China. just my 02.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:16 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Z87L8
sixfooter,
i dont want to hijack this thread but this is basically what i asked
a couple of days ago in my edelbrock post.

my dilemma is the edlebrock has no provisions for the 3/8s
line that was on my original Q-jet and i was asking where this line
should go.
i have the PCV hooked up and the vacuum line connected and the 3/8 plugged for now, i dont want to remove the system because once lars is back doing carbs again im going to have him rebuild my original Q-jet
and reinstall it and hook everything back to stock.

any ideas other than plugging as others have done is appreciated.
I think the 3/8 line from the carb is a bowl vent, so capping it at the canister will not hurt anything.
My 81 has like 6 lines on it I think. Tank, Carb Bowl, PCV, Breather, vac lines for purge, vac control from TVS
Here is the diagram
Old 02-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

well, with all the other emission stuff already removed by previous owner, cat, smog pump, EGR, etc. hard for me to believe disconnecting the cannister on my 79 is going to send the global warming situation over the tipping point, especially with 2 billion chinamen building a new coal plant ever 3 days and putting 10,000 new vehicles a day (yup) on the roads of China. just my 02.
Perspective.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:33 PM
1973_Stingray
Heel & Toe

On the subject of the evaporator canister, can anyone here let me know how the canister comes apart to change the filter?
Old 03-05-2007, 02:32 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
While I agree completely with Sixfooters perspective, you'll also get the added benefit of the car not stinking like fuel When these canisters go south, the smell of gas is the typical symptom.

Originally Posted by 1973_Stingray
On the subject of the evaporator canister, can anyone here let me know how the canister comes apart to change the filter?
There are a couple of indents in the bottom of the canister. They are the same size as 3/8 inch dowels. I know that they are supposed to unscrew but I have never been able to make mine work. In the end, i gave up and bought a new canister. I have a lovely, never used replacement filter pad for sale if you're interested.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:32 PM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Default Resurrecting Vapor Canister thread

any issues with just disconnecting the vacuum line from the evaporative control canister to the carb. i did and the car seems to run and idle better. any reason i can't just disconnect this system? also, there seems to be two vacuum lines from the canister. one small diameter like the headlight hose and one larger diameter like the PCV hose. why two?

On the subject of disconnecting this canister, my only question is what to do with the hose that goes to the PCV valve and then tee's off to the carb, should I just plug it between the PCV valve and the canister? I am ready to go drive this for a while and see if the gas stink persists in the garage. Mine is a '72 with 350............Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To evaporative control canister

Old 03-16-2007, 05:31 PM
nutseynut7
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I Have Mine Disconnected And Plugged The Line From The Tank.
I Installed A Vented Gas Cap And Gas Smell In Garage Is Gone
Old 03-16-2007, 06:44 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 637 Likes on 427 Posts

My system is all messed up and disconnected. I plan on fixing it but until then I'm going to install a vented gas cap to see if my time bomb garage will disable itself.

Last edited by jim2527; 03-16-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:01 AM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Default Well, I'll tell ya ..................

Originally Posted by jim2527
My system is all messed up and disconnected. I plan on fixing it but until then I'm going to install a vented gas cap to see if my time bomb garage will disable itself.

Nothing has changed here; I removed the stupid canister, plugged the line from the fuel tank, plugged the two lines from the [former] canister, put a vented gas cap on, still smells of gas. I am going to remove the spare tire and try to feel if the fuel separator valve is still snug in place on the drivers side top of the gas tank; if I can reach it, I will order a replacement just to be sure. If this does not work, I will buy some hose and hook the canister back up and run this hose back to the tank (this will test weather the original vapor line is plugged or not). If that doesn't work I will park the car on a railroad track because that's about as fed up with this crap as I am.....................In the meantime, will leave the garage door cracked open.

Quick Reply: evaporative control canister