C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 427 Reproduction Side Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 01:09 PM
427VET
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 69 427 Reproduction Side Exhaust

Has anyone purchased the Corvette Central Side Exhaust kit for a ’69 427? Not looking at the cheapie fiberglass cover kit, but the aluminum side cover kit. 1) How’s the quality of the covers compared to the OEM, is there any major or minor differences between the two, and how do the mufflers sound? 2) I realize they are reverse flow, and I remember how badly the reverse flows choked the power on my 74 when I installed the Hooker versions for that amazingly long 2 days I had them in before I swapped them for the straight through mufflers. My 69 is ready for some factory style sidepipes and I would like to buy the Kit from these guys. I know the mufflers won’t be staying on long before I end up chopping them off and putting something better in there that will fit, but I’ll probably try them out for a little while. Just looking for some feedback on the overall quality, performance (loss…) and sound (as compared to say a 2 ¼” undercar system with standard cheap performance turbo mufflers.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Husband1166
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out "sweet thunder" website.... I think (not 100%) that they supply Corvette Central. If it's sound and power you may consider custom stright tubes under the original covers. I'm running original pipes and may go that route this spring.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:54 AM
427VET
Intermediate

I'll check out that website, thanks. I am absolutely sure that I will be replacing the mufflers fairly soon (weeks probably) after buying the kit. I was just curious if anyone had installed them and could compare them to a conventional undercar setup as far as performance and sound. I absolutely love the Hookers on my '74, the sound on those and peformance is perfect. I did spend considerable amount of time at New England Dragway finding out just how the car responded to choked up reverse flows, no side tubes, sidetubes with no mufflers, and sidetubes with the glass-packs. The thing I wanted to get some response on was the covers- is it a good quality reproduction, and how hard or impossible to distinguish from the OE. I don't want to drop $2500 on the kit if the covers are not spot-on. The muffler questions are just secondary if anyone could provide the info.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:56 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Paregon reproductions has the original GM molds for the covers. I've only seen pics on line of new ones bu they look great. I think all other vendors get their covers from Paregon.

Mine are '69 originals and are far from perfect.

Cosmicvette and OHSIXX are two members I know have purchased new covers in the last couple years.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:41 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Check out CF member b71vette ... check the headers & exhaust he has under his 69 covers ... sweet!
Old 02-16-2007, 08:54 AM
Husband1166
Intermediate

I did my covers on the cheap. I sourced an original pair on e-bay, the fibreglass I did myself and strengthened them , the chrome I sent out for repair / rechrome, the hardware from Ecklers and for $700.00 you'd be hard pressed to tell me they weren't new.

I don't know anyone with repro covers.

Last edited by Husband1166; 02-16-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:05 AM
JIMS1970VETTE
Racer

I have the Crane Corvette covers and pipes and from what I understand these are formed from the original dies and I am very pleased with them.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:08 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 427VET
Just looking for some feedback on the overall quality, performance (loss…) ...
427 435 HP
Actual nos. w/ engine on dyno & off road sidepipes are 368 HP @ 5750. TQ 419 @ 3500.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:28 PM
427VET
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jackson
Check out CF member b71vette ... check the headers & exhaust he has under his 69 covers ... sweet!
I believe I have checked that thread out. He's definately got the right idea! I do plan on building my own exhaust under the covers as well, probably won't go with that outrageous crossover though.

I just know those stock reverse flow mufflers are a horrible restriction, they certainly won't be staying long. I just happen to be doing some looking yesterday and found the new aluminum covers being offered as a kit with the mufflers included for the same price as Ecklers offered just the covers for. I didn't know until yesterday that the covers had been reproduced in aluminum, just the fiberglass- and I wasn't keen on the fiberglass ones.

Get notified of new replies

To 69 427 Reproduction Side Exhaust

Quick Reply: 69 427 Reproduction Side Exhaust