C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear ended today - need advice - Michigan shops

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 10:19 PM
jim68vette
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear ended today - need advice - Michigan shops

Today was a bad, bad day. While I was out driving, I was stopped for the person in front of me turning left when a truck plowed into me from behind at probably 30 mph and pushed into the car in front of me. The damage is pretty ugly, but I don't know how bad is totalled with these cars. I have not been able to talk to the insurance company yet as this was only a few hours ago. The rear end is pretty toasted smashed up to the wheels and the front is not as bad but cracked up also and it no longer runs. Iam looking for advice dealing with agreed value insurance ( I have Haggerty) and also want to know if any Michigan people out there know of good places to do work and appraisals. I'm living in Ann Arbor. Any advice and sympathy is appreciated. Thanks. I am going to cry myself to sleep now.
Jim
:( :mad :(
Old 10-03-2001, 10:24 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Rear ended today - need advice - Michigan shops (jim68vette)

man i feel for you :( sorry to hear about that....hope everything works out for you.
Old 10-03-2001, 10:39 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

geez jim, your first post?? Hope you yourself are ok. Did you have a spare tire that absorbed some of the shock? Rearended at 30 mph can be very dangerous in a C3 with the gas tank back there.

If your agreed value is high enough, ie close to market value, I would try to get the car totaled and take the money. Of course I dont know what condition your car was in before the accident or how badly damaged it is... jut seems a lot easier to start shopping for a new or restored one rather than having to repair the damage. No longer can your car be advertised as "no hit", and we all know 68s arent worth anything anyway.... good luck. MJ
Old 10-04-2001, 02:59 AM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear about your accident. Luckily, I hope you are OK. I don't know if its my imagination or what, but it seems like a lot of C3s are being reported hit lately on the forum.
Old 10-04-2001, 07:31 AM
randy72
Drifting

Jim,

One of my co-workers has a late 70's/early 80's C3 that was painted at the VetteShop in Roseville (on Gratiot) and it looks awesome. It's kind of a haul for you though. Please follow up with a post on how haggery handles your claim. My Vette is with them as well.

Old 10-04-2001, 01:05 PM
jim68vette
5th Gear

Default Re: Rear ended today - need advice - Michigan shops (randy72)

Thanks for all the sympathy. Luckily, I was uninjured.

Randy, do you know the name of the shop that your friend used with his vette. I'm trying to find a shops that specializes in vettes. I will let you know how Hagerty handles the claim.
Thanks, Jim
Old 10-04-2001, 02:07 PM
72 Stingray
Instructor

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Jim.

I assume you've got the Washtenaw Yellow Pages covered, so here are the shops in the Livingston County YPs that "specialize" in Corvettes:

Lee's Collision (Howell)
517-546-4800

Soja & Sons (Linden)
(517) 546-0657

TNT Auto Body (Brighton)
(810) 220-1285

Jack's Body Shop (Whitmore Lake)
(810) 231-3233

Nelson's (Fowlerville)
(517) 223-7593

Champion Chevrolet (Howell)
(517) 545-8800 http://www.champchev.com

Sorry, I don't have experience with any of these places so I can't give you a recommendation. Just thought you'd like a few more places to call. They all claim to do insurance work and most offer free estimates.

Good Luck,
Jeff
Old 10-04-2001, 04:45 PM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Rear ended today - need advice - Michigan shops (72 Stingray)

Sorry to hear this, especially being a '68 fellow owner! Glad you're ok, that's the main thing, as cars can always be fixed or replaced, people can't. I agree with Mark...that it would probably be best to "total" the car. That comment presumes your agreed value is a fair reflection of your Vette's value and that your damage is as significant as it sounds. Good luck with the settlement and keep us posted should things go awry.....
Old 10-04-2001, 05:38 PM
AV76
Instructor

TNT Auto Body in Brighton (about 30 minutes north of Ann Arbor) does great work. I had them paint my 76 2 years ago and it came out great. I also had them put in a new windsheild frame, the old one was rusted out, and it looks great. No leaks or problems. I highly recommend them.
Old 10-04-2001, 06:06 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Rear ended today - need advice - Michigan shops (AV76)

I feel your pain. Almost the same thing happend to me. I was sitting in line waiting on the red light to change. A young driver, 15 on a hardship license, rearended me. Totalled my vette and his car. Also pushed me under the truck in front of me and the car in front of the truck. Four cars in all. The front car only had a dent in the trunk. I was lucky also. Just sore the next day. All over.
My insurance paid me and from what I understand went after the boys parents. I took the money and bought a 70 model convertible. I am happy. Although what I had was a very nice car that was loaded. I hope things go well for you.

Old 10-05-2001, 08:18 AM
jim68vette
5th Gear

Default Re: Rear ended today - need advice - Michigan shops (AV76)

Thanks for the input of the body shops guys. I don't believe my damage is enough to total. Although it was in nearly "perfect", in my opinion, condition, it was insured for $22,000 so I don't think they. All they rear glass is in bad shape and they front is generally just cracked all over but still intact. I see the gaps around the doors are now messed up, so I don't know if the frame could have been tweeked, as in bowed by being sandwiched front and back. We'll see, anyway thanks for the input.
Jim
Old 10-05-2001, 08:28 AM
randy72
Drifting

It's called 'The Vetteshop"

Get notified of new replies

To Rear ended today - need advice - Michigan shops

Quick Reply: Rear ended today - need advice - Michigan shops