C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment at Home

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 10:53 PM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Alignment at Home

Ok here is one for all of the engineers in the group. I'm thinking about attempting my own front-end alignment using a simple level attacked to the front wheel for adjustimg Camber. My question is how do I convert my measurements into degrees? I have 15 inch wheels. I 've read that this can be done but not sure about the conversion. Can anybody help me out here? Thanks and I hope everyone has a Happy New Year.
Tim
Old 12-30-2006, 12:05 AM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not an engineer, I don't play one on the radio, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, BUT I do know that if you get a big piece of paper and a protractor you can lay out on paper just how many inches or fractions of inches a degree is over, say, a fifteen-inch span, or whatever your wheel diameter happens to be. Understand also that it really helps a lot to have an absolutely FLAT garage floor when attempting this at home and also that changes in camber settings affect toe (more negative=toe-in, more positive=toe-out).
Old 12-30-2006, 08:37 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

i'm not completely sure if i understand your question, but if you have 15" wheels you can calculate the circumference(pi * c). then divide that by 360(number of degrees in a circle). that will give you the number of inches per degree. or you can divide 360 by the circumference to get degrees per inch.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:40 AM
kb2fzq
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim81
Ok here is one for all of the engineers in the group. I'm thinking about attempting my own front-end alignment using a simple level attacked to the front wheel for adjustimg Camber. My question is how do I convert my measurements into degrees? I have 15 inch wheels. I 've read that this can be done but not sure about the conversion. Can anybody help me out here? Thanks and I hope everyone has a Happy New Year.
Tim
Ummmmm....you do know that you should have a 4 wheel alignment on the vette....right?
Old 12-30-2006, 08:48 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by kb2fzq
Ummmmm....you do know that you should have a 4 wheel alignment on the vette....right?
The front won't do you justice without the back being correct.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:49 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get yourself one of these, after installing my Steeriods and doing a full front suspension rebuild I just set the caster using an angle finder and toe by measuring from treads each side of the wheel (fore and aft), I then adj the camber as needed after test drives to get it to track straight, still would like a real alignment but it tracks straight and shows no signs of tire wear as of yet.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...22-1099-AF006M

Last edited by Fevre; 12-30-2006 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:52 AM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

Hey thanks, Those are some great ideas, I'm going to give this try sometime in the near future. I'll probably take it to a good front end shop just to see how close I get. Yes I know that all 4 wheels must be align. Thanks for the help. Tim
Old 12-30-2006, 08:57 AM
BLACK SHARK
Racer

Location: In the shop most of the time,,, And it BEER TIME somewhere
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to ask WHY. Where I live, the alignment shop only charges about$50-$60. I just dont think this is the type of thing you do at home. OK, yeah, you can get it close, and then take it to the shop, but it will still cost the same. I think you should leave it to the experts.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:59 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Originally Posted by BLACK SHARK
I have to ask WHY. Where I live, the alignment shop only charges about$50-$60. I just dont think this is the type of thing you do at home. OK, yeah, you can get it close, and then take it to the shop, but it will still cost the same. I think you should leave it to the experts.
That was my intention but since it tracks true I put it on the back burner for 2 years so far.

BTW I used 4 of of those peel and stick floor tiles stacking 2 on top of each other with some lube between them and put them under the wheels to allow them to rotate with no friction.

Total cost was $0.00 since I had all the stuff.

Last edited by Fevre; 12-30-2006 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:08 AM
Jud Chapin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Fevre
That was my intention but since it tracks true I put it on the back burner for 2 years so far.

BTW I used 4 of of those peel and stick floor tiles stacking 2 on top of each other with some lube between them and put them under the wheels to allow them to rotate with no friction.

Total cost was $0.00 since I had all the stuff.
Does this method of the tiles allow for full and easy movement of the tires when adjustments are made?
Old 12-30-2006, 09:25 AM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

I know what you're saying. I'm rebuilting the front end my self and I want to get the alignment close, then have it dialed in by the shop. I just think it will be nice to see just how close I can get it myself. I'll post the results of both when its finished. Thanks for the input. Tim
Old 12-30-2006, 10:06 AM
Glassbowtie77
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After I rebuilt my frontend I aligned mine the best I could with a level for the camber adjustment and a tape measure for the toe adjustment. It's not exact but it's in the ballpark until I can get it to a good alignment shop that knows Vettes. What I would really like to find is a good easy method to get the rear end aligned closely at home, as this is my next project I am going to tackle in the coming month. Id like to read up on it ahead of time so that I have a basic understanding of it when I actually do it. I liked to find one that explains it in laymen's terms, not in technical mumbo jumbo that baffles you with bull$hit. I'm not good with all that technical stuff, I like nice and easy and straight forward and then I'm okay.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:08 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,928 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Tim
I have a complete tech paper on how to do this - it has all the tables, numbers, measurements and step-by-step how-to. Drop me en e-mail request and I'll send you the paper:
V8FastCars@msn.com
Lars
Old 12-30-2006, 10:51 AM
BLACK SHARK
Racer

Location: In the shop most of the time,,, And it BEER TIME somewhere
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I know what you're saying. I'm rebuilting the front end my self and I want to get the alignment close, then have it dialed in by the shop. I just think it will be nice to see just how close I can get it myself. I'll post the results of both when its finished. Thanks for the input. Tim
Ok, That clears it up for me,,,,
Old 12-30-2006, 11:19 AM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

Drop Lars an email and follow his instructions. A shop will go by the numbers posted in there book and not spend the time to get it exact, they have a range and as long as its within the range that will be good enough for them. You can take the time to get it exact and have the piece of mind that it is exact. A good place to get the alignment specs is VbandP web site. Two parallel strings one down each side of the car will allow you to set toe front and back, you can also get a camber and caster gauge from Quantum for around $35, it works great. The car has to be level this is critical, two thin pieces of metal with a dab of grease between them will allow the suspension to be loaded correctly and allow you to make your adjustments while the tires will move around easily. Floor tile are cheap and make a good shim to level the area were you will do your alignment (under each tire).

Neal

Last edited by chevymans 77; 12-30-2006 at 11:32 AM. Reason: The camber gauge is made by Quantum not Longacre
Old 12-30-2006, 11:26 AM
Jud Chapin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by chevymans 77
Drop Lars an email and follow his instructions. A shop will go by the numbers posted in there book and not spend the time to get it exact, they have a range and as long as its within the range that will be good enough for them. You can take the time to get it exact and have the piece of mind that it is exact. A good place to get the alignment specs is VbandP web site. Two parallel strings one down each side of the car will allow you to set toe front and back, you can also get a camber and caster gauge from Longrace for around $35, it works great. The car has to be level this is critical, two thin pieces of metal with a dab of grease between them will allow the suspension to be loaded correctly and allow you to make your adjustments while the tires will move around easily. Floor tile are cheap and make a good shim to level the area were you will do your alignment (under each tire).

Neal
Can you describe the thin metal pieces to go under the tires a little more and perhaps where to purchase them?
Old 12-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
Can you describe the thin metal pieces to go under the tires a little more and perhaps where to purchase them?
sheet metal will do, just put some grease between them and it will allow them to slide, I had left over vinyl tile so I put them face to face with a light spray of lithium grease, worked fine

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment at Home

Old 12-30-2006, 11:35 AM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

Sure I went to the local hardware store and purchased some thin roof flashing. cut 8 squares 1 foot by 1 foot than I put a dab of grease between them and set them under each tire, this allows the tire to move when you make your adjustments.

Neal
Old 12-30-2006, 11:35 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I disagree with you. I feel my home alignment jobs are better then the shop. The shop has a small alotted time to do the alignment. They also have a spec printout. As long as your specs fall within this allotment you are within spec. The drivers side could be on the low side and the passengers on the high side, both within specs but both very different.
It is important to be the same side to side.
I spent the money on a caster camber gage, a toe gage and a laser level.
To me it is a labor of love and I spend the time getting it right side to side.
Forgot I also made a set of floor plates so the wheels turn or move in and out for camber settings readily.
Also alot of guys on the rack really don't know much about alignment or why. Usually the apprentice mechanic. Ask him about bump steer and you get this blank look.
I can do better then any shop
Old 12-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Jud Chapin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Fevre
sheet metal will do, just put some grease between them and it will allow them to slide, I had left over vinyl tile so I put them face to face with a light spray of lithium grease, worked fine
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Alignment at Home