C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum A Arm Field Reports?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 01:08 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kid Vette
Natural finish is $305 ea w/o ball joints. Not too bad IMHO.

This pictures really shows the inner cross shaft is offset lowering the inner mounting pivot point. Yes they will raise your roll center.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:09 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by norvalwilhelm
To raise the roll center you need to increase the length of the spindle or lower the inner mounting point of the upper A arm.
I feel both are difficult to do with a bolt in A arm.
To increase the splindle length with just the A arm they would need a special long upper Ball joint, not one with a lower pivot point.
While the change could be valid they could also be so small that they wouldn't be noticed
The only way would be redrilling the inner mounting for the A arm and lowering this point

It still suprised me that no one has come up with longer spindles??
It really depends on the geometry and where your instantaneous center is, assuming the lower arm angle is "fixed" and the IC is inboard of the susp. corner being observed AND above the ground then putting a steeper angle on the upper arm indeed resutls in a higher roll center, however if the IC is below ground or outboard and above ground it's the opposite.

Now, we both have "extended" spindles so we are in the 1st category, we both raised our roll centers.

I too feel it's a small difference w/ the offset cross shaft but it will put the ic inboard and improve things IF you install them w/ the offset down (lowering the effective cross shaft axis..like visible in the pics), this will raise the roll center so .... where do theyc ome up w/ the statement that it lowers the roll center? Maybe it was something that "sounded" good for advertising sake?

EDIT!! reread the post, they apparently said it raised the roll center so yes, they are right. Raising the roll center/ moving the instantaneous system..things norval and I have been plugging here for quite some time, wether you do it w/ a taller spindle or dropped cross shaft doesn't matter (although you have to raise the spindle considerably more than dropping the cross shaft for the same absolute effect)

You draw a line through the pivot points on the A arms so does it really matter how low you make the bracket. You still have the same pivot points so it doesn't change the slope of the curve just the visual appearance of the top of the A arm.
Yes, the pivot is lowered in respect to the frame mount with this setup, it DOES make a difference. The slope of the effective cross shaft axis towards the ball joint is changed with this setup.

Last edited by Twin_Turbo; 12-27-2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:27 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

How could I determine if the amount the SD crosshaft raises the roll center is enough to improve performance enough that I could sense a difference?
Old 12-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

[QUOTE=norvalwilhelm;1558266163]Yes I know but I was able to produce these relatively easily and they are 1 1/2 inch longer then stock. QUOTE]Norval, the extenders will raise my ball joints 2" vs. your 1.5". Is the extra 1/2" going to absolutely kill my geometry? If moving the ball joint up 2" will make the camber go extremely negative, won't your longer spindles do pretty much the same thing? Am I missing something? You welded yours in vs. the extenders bolting in .... is it all in the extra 1/2" length? Thanks, Jason
Old 12-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Yes I know but I was able to produce these relatively easily and they are 1 1/2 inch longer then stock. If I was more ambitious I would mass produce them.
They use all stock components and yet raise the roll center from below the ground to about 4 inches above the ground.
We had a fantastic guy Pete that helped with alot of this stuff
I'll donate a set for you to do for me
Old 12-27-2006, 09:31 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

[QUOTE=Jason Staley;1558269513]
Yes I know but I was able to produce these relatively easily and they are 1 1/2 inch longer then stock. QUOTE]Norval, the extenders will raise my ball joints 2" vs. your 1.5". Is the extra 1/2" going to absolutely kill my geometry? If moving the ball joint up 2" will make the camber go extremely negative, won't your longer spindles do pretty much the same thing? Am I missing something? You welded yours in vs. the extenders bolting in .... is it all in the extra 1/2" length? Thanks, Jason
I just read a magazine article on the increase in camber and they found it slightly excessive. They suggested just a little less thickness.
I have run a camber curve on mine when I built the spindles and only got a few degrees.
You should be able to find that magazine article if you do a google search on ball joint extenders.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:36 PM
84rzv500r
Drifting

Mild steel... and cheap...

Installed...

I'll post some more pics as they are approved...

Old 12-27-2006, 11:01 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Originally Posted by 84rzv500r
Mild steel... and cheap...

:
welds at the control arm bushings better be perfect.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:22 PM
84rzv500r
Drifting

Originally Posted by turtlevette
welds at the control arm bushings better be perfect.
They use these on Impala's with hydraulic cylinders for shocks...

The welds look good... I did strip the powder coating off and inspect them. good penitration and nice fillet. I'm still welding on the lowers... I gotta make some 316 STAINLESS STEEL cross shafts for the lowers.

I cant see the aluminum cross shafts in the picture but sharp edges bother me.. Howsabout some nice radii and a little more meat in the aluminum

Now you have gone and made me nervous... I guess I'll just have to take'm to work and x-ray the welds
Old 12-27-2006, 11:33 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Originally Posted by 84rzv500r
Now you have gone and made me nervous... I guess I'll just have to take'm to work and x-ray the welds
Sorry, It'll probably be fine. I saw a mustang with aftermarket welded control arms go into a concrete wall because a weld broke, so i will probably never go to that type of control arm.

I like the idea of the stamped steel stock ones that would actually have to tear into 2 pieces before letting the wheel detach.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:42 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

[QUOTE=norvalwilhelm;1558272417]
Originally Posted by Jason Staley

I just read a magazine article on the increase in camber and they found it slightly excessive. They suggested just a little less thickness.
I have run a camber curve on mine when I built the spindles and only got a few degrees.
You should be able to find that magazine article if you do a google search on ball joint extenders.
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:33 AM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Kid Vette
I thought about these A-arms, but they don't look beefy enough. They probably are, but I went with the VBP powder coated tubular high carbon steel set:
http://www.vbandp.com/detail.aspx?ID=518
Old 12-28-2006, 09:38 AM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MN80Vette
I thought about these A-arms, but they don't look beefy enough. They probably are, but I went with the VBP powder coated tubular high carbon steel set:
http://www.vbandp.com/detail.aspx?ID=518
Same here.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:44 AM
panchop
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by big_G
Same here.
+2 and of course I got a smoking deal from a forum mmember.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

square tubing isn't that strong either, ever wondered why race cars habe frame extensions made from square steel? because in a crash it will collapse a lot sooner than the round tubing, meaning the damage is confined to those sections (we're talking about a crash but not a major crash here) and it's easier to rebuild the car. Same reason why square sections in a roll cageare absolutely out of the question.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:44 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

too bad VBP doesn't sell a offset crossshaft...

the tech is old, so no IP issues...

hint hint...
Old 12-28-2006, 01:50 PM
VBP
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '07,'13

Default Vbp New A-arm Update

We have a new design tubular upper control arm with an adjustable steel offset cross shaft that we are now releasing to production (featured in our new 2007 catalog and January and February magazine ads). Our new set is 2 lbs. lighter than our older box-tube style and is priced at $389.95 for the pair complete with poly bushings and ball joints installed.

BEST OF ALL we are completing the final testing stages of our newer tubular design with aluminum offset cross shafts. This will make the new set 5/8 of a pound lighter than ANY OTHER SET ON THE MARKET . We are just finalizing the strength tests on the aluminum shaft and then this new set will be released to production and they will be priced at $499.95 for a pair also sold complete with poly bushings and ball joints installed. And don't forget we offer forum members a 10% discount

Send me an email directly to pattie@vbandp.com and I will email you back a pic. They are really sweeeeeeet!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!
Pattie
VBP

Get notified of new replies

To Aluminum A Arm Field Reports?

Old 12-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

I would be amazed if they are lighter than the super light adjustable savitske/pole position racing products adjustable ones equipped w/ lightweight alu sleeves and cross shaft...seriously

However, since those are "not for everyone" sounds like a great product.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:50 PM
VBP
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '07,'13

Default O.k. You Got Me

O.K. I guess you got me.

I checked their website and they are pretty fancy control arms, looks good though, and you are right not for everyone.

Pattie
VBP
Old 12-28-2006, 04:15 PM
vetteaddic
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VBP
We have a new design tubular upper control arm with an adjustable steel offset cross shaft that we are now releasing to production (featured in our new 2007 catalog and January and February magazine ads). Our new set is 2 lbs. lighter than our older box-tube style and is priced at $389.95 for the pair complete with poly bushings and ball joints installed.

BEST OF ALL we are completing the final testing stages of our newer tubular design with aluminum offset cross shafts. This will make the new set 5/8 of a pound lighter than ANY OTHER SET ON THE MARKET . We are just finalizing the strength tests on the aluminum shaft and then this new set will be released to production and they will be priced at $499.95 for a pair also sold complete with poly bushings and ball joints installed. And don't forget we offer forum members a 10% discount
Send me an email directly to pattie@vbandp.com and I will email you back a pic. They are really sweeeeeeet!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!
Pattie
VBP
So I can order a set now?

Quick Reply: Aluminum A Arm Field Reports?