C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C-3 Project Bonneville update

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C-3 Project Bonneville update

This is an update on our plans - many of you have followed along and helped out in our attempts to get the C-3 over 200 at Bonneville.

Many of you know we've been fooling around with a C-3 and my C-4 running them out a Bonneville just for fun.

So we hit the end of the road with the C-3, we need big HP - right now we are limitted to about 183 mph - and the C-4 - it hits 150 comfortably - but not much more! Both of em are running small blocks. we have been debating about putting a Big Block in the C-3 and getting the HP we need - but that little thing is so sweet on road courses - embarassed more than a few C-5 and C-6 guys. And my C-4 is also built for road courses and open road races.

So we have the engine we need - now what do we do? Last night we finally decided to do it right - we need to build another car specifically dedicated to Bonneville and going fast. And if we do that - well the C-4 is a much better platform to start with - much lower frontal area!

So we are now looking for a C-4 . what we really need is a body in tact and a frame - and preferably a manual trans car (we want the D-44 rear end). Beyond that it can be completely trashed - it's gunna be gutted - 6 point cage welded in, seats, 2 fire systems, parachute - the whole shebang. We don't need a title - we just need a cheap car to start with - anyone have any leads?

So whats this about driving - well if any of you have a POS C-4 sitting around and would like to donate it to the project - we will put you in the car - and make sure you go through the licencing process in the car - as well as get you a couple of runs over 200 mph. essentially - you donate the body - and you can drive it every year if you want!

carl Johansson
(PS I'm double posting this to C-4 and C-4 for sale also!)
Old 12-14-2006, 02:40 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

CJ,
Out of curiosity what would it take (rules wise) to run the car below at Bonneville??
...redvetracr
Old 12-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Originally Posted by redvetracr
CJ,
Out of curiosity what would it take (rules wise) to run the car below at Bonneville??
...redvetracr
I see no car here - if you are talking about the car in your avitAR PHOTO - i WOULD NEED TO KNOW WHAT SAFETY GEAR IT HAS - 5 POINT? 6 POINT CAGE? DIAMETER AND THICKNESS AND STEEL TYPE - FIRE SYSTEM" (oops fat fingers) lug setup, bellhousing, etc

Carl
Old 12-14-2006, 03:50 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

if you are going to buy another car why not a 97 C-5 little better
aero has more wheelbase C-4 95 inch is short for a straitline high
speed car C-5s 105 would be better. sell the LS1 and other parts for a
few bucks.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 12-14-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:52 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

because C-5's cost alot more than a C-4. BTW the records in my class are held by a C-4 as are several other classes - well in excess of 220 mph - so apparently they are not concerned with the "short wheelbase"
Carl

Originally Posted by Little Mouse
if you are going to buy another car why not a 97 C-5 little better
aero has more wheelbase C-4 95 inch is short for a straitline high
speed car C-5s 105 would be better.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:07 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

no doubt a C5 is a little higher but the 97s are getting down on
price.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:31 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,338 Likes on 1,063 Posts

What is the upper $$ limit on the roached out C-4? I'll put my feelers out
Old 12-14-2006, 10:23 PM
Cusvet
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl Johansson
This is an update on our plans - many of you have followed along and helped out in our attempts to get the C-3 over 200 at Bonneville.

Many of you know we've been fooling around with a C-3 and my C-4 running them out a Bonneville just for fun.

So we hit the end of the road with the C-3, we need big HP - right now we are limitted to about 183 mph - and the C-4 - it hits 150 comfortably - but not much more! Both of em are running small blocks. we have been debating about putting a Big Block in the C-3 and getting the HP we need - but that little thing is so sweet on road courses - embarassed more than a few C-5 and C-6 guys. And my C-4 is also built for road courses and open road races.

So we have the engine we need - now what do we do? Last night we finally decided to do it right - we need to build another car specifically dedicated to Bonneville and going fast. And if we do that - well the C-4 is a much better platform to start with - much lower frontal area!

So we are now looking for a C-4 . what we really need is a body in tact and a frame - and preferably a manual trans car (we want the D-44 rear end). Beyond that it can be completely trashed - it's gunna be gutted - 6 point cage welded in, seats, 2 fire systems, parachute - the whole shebang. We don't need a title - we just need a cheap car to start with - anyone have any leads?

So whats this about driving - well if any of you have a POS C-4 sitting around and would like to donate it to the project - we will put you in the car - and make sure you go through the licencing process in the car - as well as get you a couple of runs over 200 mph. essentially - you donate the body - and you can drive it every year if you want!

carl Johansson
(PS I'm double posting this to C-4 and C-4 for sale also!)
Carl, If you want to talk to someone with the record in a C3 on the Salt you need to talk to Duane Mckinney, the name of his car is: Sundowner. Smalblock car , C/BGT class. I'm building one much the same, but maby a slightly larger motor and would put me in B/BGT. His record in C class is 222.67. C3's tend to handle worse than C4's .Are you going to be running Blown or Unblown? I'm on Two crews at Bonn. A 32 Ford, Donavin Motor #299 With the Record " 257.67"MPH, 57 Chevy Big Block car on its first time on the Salt. My Car will be there in 2007. A twin turbo Smallblock with a bunch of boost! If your there in 2007 and see #299 come over and say Hi! Ask for Mike
Old 12-15-2006, 10:37 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,338 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Michael, I'll look you up when I come over there. What are the dates your planning to attend?

Is this what your running in your Vette? I've been looking at that and other injection units using FAST electronics

http://www.hilborninjection.com/prod...Id=52&CatId=37
Old 12-15-2006, 01:11 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Originally Posted by gkull
What is the upper $$ limit on the roached out C-4? I'll put my feelers out
Hey George,
Glad to have you aboard - your BB knowlege will be helpfull - plus we need to get you back out to Bonneville running again.

Price is a bit iffy - we have determined that we don't need a D-44 - in fact a d-36 is plenty adaquite - and available ratios are better - so we are looking for a trashed out non running C-4 with good body panels (paint doesn't matter) and a sound frame . The susspension setup may be desireable as well. we are hoping to spend less than 1K for the body - we have a fairly good prospect in Tx clean and straight - 500 bucks just the frame body and glass - looking to minimize the shipping costs.

Carl Johansson
Old 12-15-2006, 01:15 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cusvet
Carl, If you want to talk to someone with the record in a C3 on the Salt you need to talk to Duane Mckinney, the name of his car is: Sundowner. Smalblock car , C/BGT class. I'm building one much the same, but maby a slightly larger motor and would put me in B/BGT. His record in C class is 222.67. C3's tend to handle worse than C4's .Are you going to be running Blown or Unblown? I'm on Two crews at Bonn. A 32 Ford, Donavin Motor #299 With the Record " 257.67"MPH, 57 Chevy Big Block car on its first time on the Salt. My Car will be there in 2007. A twin turbo Smallblock with a bunch of boost! If your there in 2007 and see #299 come over and say Hi! Ask for Mike
I am very familiar with the sundowner car - what a spectacular machine. we are currently looking to run unblown - although we are toying with blowing the C-3 right now - that would put us up against you - don't want to do that - we would get our asses handed to us!

Carl Johansson

Get notified of new replies

To C-3 Project Bonneville update

Quick Reply: C-3 Project Bonneville update