C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all Corvette Painters.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Al77Vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

After talking to the painter again, he clarified some things.

Because my car had very few stress cracks he, used the current paint as his first block coat.

If he finds any body filler he will remove it and replace with fiberglass.

After repairs, he will shot the primer block it twice.

At least two color coats.
At least two clear coats and wet sand, and polish

He doesn't wet sand the primer coats.

Picts attached
Attached Images   
Old 02-03-2007, 03:25 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 430 Likes on 308 Posts

I have personally seen a 69 Vette that didn't need color sanding. It was an absolute freak of nature by the painters own admission. He had never had a paint job come out that nice, it was sort of one of those one in a million things.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:32 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

what are you getting then for your $12,000. Sounds like he's taking the easy way out.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Bill Oxley
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Al77Vette
After talking to the painter again, he clarified some things.

Because my car had very few stress cracks he, used the current paint as his first block coat.

If he finds any body filler he will remove it and replace with fiberglass.

At least two color coats.
At least two clear coats and wet sand, and polish

He doesn't wet sand the primer coats.

Picts attached
Just think about it. If you have orange peel in the primer coat, then it will transfer to the color coat. Sure, some peaks and valleys may be filled in, but the primer coat is the "easy to sand" coat, so sand the primer to a smooth surface in prep for the color/clear. And, why build your total paint mils with primer. Get it flat, and then color/clear, and you have more to work with on the color sanding.

The last thing in the world you want is try to color sand, and get into the primer or base. You're screwed then. I'd rather color sand on the clear.

I just went through this big time.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1571356

and had many comments about cost vs. quality.

Bottom line, imho, you get what you pay for.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Al77Vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by turtlevette
what are you getting then for your $12,000. Sounds like he's taking the easy way out.
It's going to cost me well below 12K.

I think I said this wrong. He is going to shot a primer coat then block it, then shot another primer coat and block it.

The big thing was that he doesn't wet sand primer. His quote was "It absorbs too much water."

He did assure me that there would be no orange-peel or dry spots in the paint. And he pointed out examples of each on my car before he started work.

In a month or so I will know for sure.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:18 PM
VolVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't matter how good someone is with a gun, you will need to wetsand and buff to get the mirror-like finish. Paint is atomized and propelled by highly compressed air onto the surface and will be by nature of this process slightly imperfect giving it an orange peel effect. The degree of orange peel is directly proportional to how well atomized the paint is when sprayed. In short, sprayed paint surfaces are all imperfect and to get the mirror-like finish, the surface must be made perfectly flat by wet-sending and buffing.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Al77Vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by VolVette
It doesn't matter how good someone is with a gun, you will need to wetsand and buff to get the mirror-like finish. Paint is atomized and propelled by highly compressed air onto the surface and will be by nature of this process slightly imperfect giving it an orange peel effect. The degree of orange peel is directly proportional to how well atomized the paint is when sprayed. In short, sprayed paint surfaces are all imperfect and to get the mirror-like finish, the surface must be made perfectly flat by wet-sending and buffing.

At this point, I'm sure something is getting wet sanded. I am not sure if it is the color coats, the clear coats and/or both. I was there a week ago and he was working on a motorcycle gas tank with pin strips. You could not feel the strips and the strips looked like they were IN the paint. NOT on the paint.

Quick Reply: Calling all Corvette Painters.