C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydraulic Cam break-in procedure

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 11:26 AM
luerja
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hydraulic Cam break-in procedure

I know you should as a rule of thumb start the car and immediatly rev the engine over 2000 rpms and vary it a little from 2000-3000 for 20 minutes....

Could I actually drive it on the freeway for this break-in time keeping it within this RPM range? Reason why i ask is that my neighbors are just going love me for running my chambered sidepipe exhaust at those RPM's for 20 minutes

Thanks
jim
Old 12-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Lilysdreamvette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know your situation, but I can't see how you could start it up and get to the freeway while not letting it dip below 2000 rpm at all. then when you are on the freeway, in order to drive while transitioning the rpm to get proper splash to get a good break in, I think you would be pulled over by the cops looking like you were on some serious drugs - slow down - speed up - slow down - speed up slow down - you get the picture. Why take the chance. do it once and do it properly where the car sits. Just my opinion.

Good luck,
Greg
Old 12-03-2006, 12:01 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

You really should do it in the driveway so you can keep an eye on it. Why don't you go talk to the neighbours first? I've found most people are pretty reasonable if they know *why* there's all this noise and they know it will only be for 20 minutes.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:52 PM
blctalon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote is to do it where it sits so you can check it for gas, coolant, and oil leaks.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:50 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Start that puppy up at 3:am if your going to make the neighbors
mad do it the right way. Start it up in the garage make sure you have
good oil pressure no leaks, put the garage door down about three quarters
of the way, you can add fans if you like to help blow out some exhaust fumes,
you don't have to be in the garage all the time its running, with it in the garage
and the door down most of the way the garage will knock off a lot of the sound
waves,

Last edited by Little Mouse; 12-03-2006 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:42 PM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I would have a problem when I broke my cam in, I also have the chambered exhaust. I live in an apartment and talked to the neighbor who would be affected the most. He didn't really care. Sometimes there is someone much further away that will complain. If you own your home, do it at a reasonable time, and let the next door neighbors know, I don't think you'll have much of a problem.
I also thought of trying to pick up a couple of 'junk' mufflers from a muffler shop and temporarily hooking them up to the tailpipes with the flexible style of pipe.
At 2000 rpms the noise is bearable; it's when you start getting closer to 3000 rpms that noise becomes as issuse.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:48 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Don't forget the GM EOS oil additive. Can't recall the full name or part # but do a search. Cam break-in is crititcal to cam life and modern oils are missing what used to help a cam live.

Good luck.
cardo0
Old 12-04-2006, 10:00 AM
Hvymtlc5
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree - with run in place and check for leaks or stuff out of place....when I fired my open header BB two weeks ago the next door neighbor came over because he thought my house was on fire from all the oil and stuff burning off with car running in the garage....didn't say much about the noise.......

Use the GM additive. about 12.00 for a small bottle..anything to give the cam half a chance to survive...thinner oils help too. I used Rotella because of the added zinc content - reommended by COMP Cams.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:14 PM
VCuomo
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe this is a dumb question, but... Is this a hydraulic roller cam? Reason I ask is that I've heard that you really don't need the full-on "20min at 2000RPM" break-in for a hydraulic roller cam.

What say you all?
Old 12-04-2006, 01:24 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by VCuomo
Maybe this is a dumb question, but... Is this a hydraulic roller cam? Reason I ask is that I've heard that you really don't need the full-on "20min at 2000RPM" break-in for a hydraulic roller cam.

What say you all?
Roller cams do not require break-in. The reason flat tappet cams require a break-in is to mate the tappet to the cam lobe.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:53 PM
VCuomo
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

OK, that matches with what I thought. That's why I asked what type of hydraulic cam he's got.

Get notified of new replies

To Hydraulic Cam break-in procedure

Quick Reply: Hydraulic Cam break-in procedure