C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help- Key in column,wont come out

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 09:59 AM
Cusvet
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help- Key in column,wont come out

I have a 76 and the key wont go to lock so I can take the key out. I've tried pushing the key and pulling the key to go to lock but no go!! It has been slowly harder to get the key out but seems something is worn enough that it wont come out at all now. Is there a procedure to take the whole key mechanisum out of the colunm if it is not in lock and the key still in it? Thanks,Mike
Old 11-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to remove the steering wheel, the telescoping section and gain access to where you can see the housing section where the lock is in. There's a threaded boss just inboard of the cylinder with 2 vertical slots beneath it side to side. Take a small screwdriver and pry in the right slot and the lock should come out.

I'll see if I can find a pic to make it more clear
Old 11-24-2006, 10:34 AM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 260 Likes on 211 Posts

You'll find what you need in one of Jim's papers.

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?page_id=4
Old 11-24-2006, 10:37 AM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Does a '76 have a interlock cable, that is maybe stretched or bound up not allowing the key to come out. On a 4 speed the shifter has to be in reverse and park if its a automatic. Peace,,, Moosie
Old 11-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Green76
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by moosie982
Does a '76 have a interlock cable, that is maybe stretched or bound up not allowing the key to come out. On a 4 speed the shifter has to be in reverse and park if its a automatic. Peace,,, Moosie

The interlock arm is located in the engine compartment on the steering colum just as it passes through the firewall, pull up on it and try the key lock again, there is a steel cable attached to this arm.
Good luck.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:53 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good one, totally forgot about the interlock cable.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:56 AM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 260 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
Good one, totally forgot about the interlock cable.
His profile says he has a Tremec 5 speed, so the cable must be long gone. (profiles are useful)
Old 11-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Duke94
His profile says he has a Tremec 5 speed, so the cable must be long gone. (profiles are useful)

Look at the end of the steering colum at the firewall, there is a lever that once had the cable connected to it, might be slowly rotated on you
Old 11-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Cusvet
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Guys, I had to step away ,but i'm back. TwinTurbo,Duke94,Moosie982,Green76, I read your posts and ill try them all and let you know how it goes. I plan on pulling the Steering Wheel to put on the new custom adapter that Grant Wheels made for me so i could change Steering wheels from the stock one. A hard thing to do on a 76 column. This was orig. an auto. car converted to a Tremec 5speed,so the interlock cable is gone. Thanks again for your replys and will keep you informed on what happens. Best Regards,Mike
Old 11-24-2006, 11:44 AM
Cusvet
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Fevre

Look at the end of the steering colum at the firewall, there is a lever that once had the cable connected to it, might be slowly rotated on you
You peged the problem!!!! It did slightly rotate on me and I put it back in the right spot and I turned the key to lock and the key came right out!!!! Thank You Fevre , YOU THE MAN!! Mike
Old 11-24-2006, 12:06 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

The lower lever on the steering column needs to be in the full UP position in order to remove your key. You may want to wire it or secure it in some other way in that position. BTW, just remember, you now can turn off your engine and lock your steering wheel while still rolling down the road.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Help- Key in column,wont come out

Quick Reply: Help- Key in column,wont come out