C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body mounts in front of back tires -

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2001, 04:37 PM
de_cat55
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Body mounts in front of back tires -

I had a noise on the back every time I hit a bump. After lots of investigations I tightened the body mount in front of my back tire. The noise stopped for a while but it is back. Do I have to change the mount? How is that mount installed ? If you look from the bottom it is inside the chasis, so I wander how I can replace it. Is the receiving nut welded to the chasis???? :confused:

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-21-2001, 04:49 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Body mounts in front of back tires - (de_cat55)

Nut is caged. You might be able to replace these two mounts by loosening the bolts and raising the body enough to replace the rubber. Go slowly and be prepared for a weld nut or two to break loose.

While there, you might want to take a break and look for your VIN stamping. If it's still legible (probably filled with road gook), it will be on the top of the rail in front of the #4 mount on the left (driver's) side. You should find the same stamp as on your block since they were both stamped at the same time by the same person using the same stamping tool on the assembly line.
Old 09-21-2001, 04:52 PM
roger68
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Body mounts in front of back tires - (Easy Mike)

You might want to also check the rear-most mounts. They're behind the rear wheels, in the rear corners and you can see them by just laying under the car. The entire bolt was missing from one of my rear mounts.

Roger
Old 09-21-2001, 04:53 PM
454Big
Burning Brakes

If your car is older than ten years (should be for a C3 :D ) or the body mounts haven´t been replaced for about ten years you should face the fact that the rubber of the body mounts sags and detoriates.
I guess you should replace the mounts.
Even if we are talking of the early sharks (they had aluminium shims) the aluminium detoriates and crushes to a powder.
Replace the Body mounts!

The receiving nut is a so called cage nut. It is a square nut, that is able to move forth and back in the cage that avoids spinning of the nut.
If the bolt is rusted to the nut, you will kill the cage when trying to turn with excessive force.
Unfortunately you will need a new nut and cage assembly then (available at Paragon).
Hope this helps!
Old 09-21-2001, 05:11 PM
de_cat55
Advanced

I agree, it is best to change all body mounts. What's involved in this work? Do you do one at at time or you have to take all of them out to lift the body? Should I leave it to a professional ?

Old 09-21-2001, 05:18 PM
roger68
Instructor

Just as an FYI, '68s used aluminum body mounts - a one year only thing. I almost ordered poly body mounts, then found out, and verified with my tired ol' eyes, that my '68 has aluminum mounts.

Oops, someone already mentioned the aluminum mounts. As far as the caged nuts, there's a product called PB Blaster (or Blaster PB, I forget) that is the best penetrant I've found. I'd spray the bolts/mounts as best I could so as to do my best to avoid ripping up the cage/nut setup. It would seem like one heck of a job to replace the cages.

Roger

[Modified by roger68, 3:30 PM 9/21/2001]
Old 09-21-2001, 05:38 PM
454Big
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Body mounts in front of back tires - (roger68)

roger68, I´m not absolutely sure, but I guess that all sharks from 1968 to 1972 had the aluminium body mounts.
Can we find out what opinion is correct?
Have you found this year-only special in any piece of literature?
Old 09-21-2001, 05:50 PM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Default Re: Body mounts in front of back tires - (454Big)

[QUOTE]roger68, I´m not absolutely sure, but I guess that all sharks from 1968 to 1972 had the aluminium body mounts.QUOTE]

1973 was the first year that corvettes used rubber body mounts. I have read that it is possible to put rubber mounts on earlier C3's, but it will raise the body by 3/8".

Kevin
Old 09-21-2001, 05:53 PM
roger68
Instructor

Default Re: Body mounts in front of back tires - (454Big)

454Big, I'll have to look for a source for the '68 being the only year for aluminum mounts. It *might* be in Richard Prince's C3 resto book, but I'm not sure - I'm still at work. I know I've read it in at least two places and it is a '68 only thing. It's easy enough to verify on a car - you can clearly see what type mount at the rear-most mounts. I'll dig around and find sources.

Roger
Old 09-21-2001, 11:27 PM
Tahos
Pro

Default Re: Body mounts in front of back tires - (roger68)

"Corvette Chassis Restoration Guide" by Joseph A. Tripoli, Jr. shows on
page 36 a picture of aluminum spacers on a 69 chassis.
Somewhere I have seen that they are aluminum on 68 thru 72 models.
My old 68 rattles in back big time also.
Old 09-22-2001, 10:21 AM
zzrck
Intermediate

Default Body mounts in front of back tires

My '70 also use aluminiun spacers and I've chek in zip catalog (as I will soon replace them) and all 68 to 72 use the same kit wich is with aluminium spacers

Get notified of new replies

To Body mounts in front of back tires -

Quick Reply: Body mounts in front of back tires -