Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette Sponsored by
VBP

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 10-30-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
Wrencher
CF Senior Member

Default Oil Pressure line..

I want to revisit this since I am now the one affected. Night before the ALMS race in Monterey and I'm doing some last minute clean-up, brush up against the white plastic pressure line and it disintigrates before my eyes!

If memory serves (such that it is), the original line is a black plastic, much better than the after-market white plastic stuff I used a few years ago when I had the dash apart. So, where do I get it and how does one determine if it's the good stuff? My inclination is to use copper line through the firewall, and then plastic to the block to allow for flex.

However, my engine barely moves on it's mounts, and all the old stuff used copper anyway, so why not just go copper all the way? I certainly wouldn't have to worry about it being affected by the oil, heat, environmet, etc... What say you all?

Hans
Old 10-30-2006, 04:50 PM   #2
genuine1980
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrencher
I want to revisit this since I am now the one affected. Night before the ALMS race in Monterey and I'm doing some last minute clean-up, brush up against the white plastic pressure line and it disintigrates before my eyes!

If memory serves (such that it is), the original line is a black plastic, much better than the after-market white plastic stuff I used a few years ago when I had the dash apart. So, where do I get it and how does one determine if it's the good stuff? My inclination is to use copper line through the firewall, and then plastic to the block to allow for flex.

However, my engine barely moves on it's mounts, and all the old stuff used copper anyway, so why not just go copper all the way? I certainly wouldn't have to worry about it being affected by the oil, heat, environmet, etc... What say you all?

Hans
DO NOT USE COPPER!!!! While copper gives a more accurate reading, it will break faster than nylon.

I had copper in mine from the engine to firewall and three times it broke while driving. Oil pissed out all over the headers, smoke everywhere... WHAT A MESS!!! Barely made it to a gas station each time to temporarily plug the hole until I made repairs.

Now I have nylon running from the block to the firewall and fire wall to dash... hasn't broke yet 3 years later and it gives a good enough reading for the everyday vette user.
genuine1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:11 PM   #3
Gordonm
CF Senior Member

My white plastic line has held up for 10 years now. Maybe I should consider changing it soon.
Gordonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:14 PM   #4
GTR1999
CF Senior Member

I just did this as part of the frame on. I first used the white stuff in the aftermarket kits with all the ferrules, well they didn't seal. Iworked it a couple of times and tried other fittings but that orignal tapered seat is different. I ended up buying the line from a vendor that was already crimped and it have worked ok so far.
GTR1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:27 PM   #5
stingr69
CF Senior Member

Copper will work harden and crack from vibration over time. GM used a copper plated STEEL line for some years so there is some confusion out there on this issue.

Get a proper steel line or use a plastic one. I run plastic.

-Mark.
stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:54 PM   #6
fugawi
CF Senior Member

what about a braided steel line. i see jegs sells them...
fugawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:13 AM   #7
Wrencher
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonm
My white plastic line has held up for 10 years now. Maybe I should consider changing it soon.
Mine looked great, but was brittle as h**l when I started to handle it. I'd really like a source for the black stuff...

Hans
Wrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:32 AM   #8
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
St. Jude Donor '09
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: 1.Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me... 2.That which does not kill me will probably hurt like hell. 3. Islam is the enemy.
Send a message via AIM to Jughead

Click the image to open in full size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugawi
what about a braided steel line. i see jegs sells them...

I didn't take the dash apart so I only spliced it to a shortened piece of plastic to the gauge. I didn't run it completely to the gauge yet.

1970 454- M-22 W/Hurst Comp+ 4 speed, Sidepipes, Mellings, Clevite 77, GMPP Al heads, Manley, Moroso, NO cup holders &

Not Correctly Restored Stingray................
When "Cool" was Measured in Cubic Inches!~Nuthin' Like the Sound of a Solid Lifter BB.

Last edited by Jughead; 10-31-2006 at 04:36 AM.
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
Wrencher
CF Senior Member

Default Not bad..

Using braided in the engine compartment is probably the way to go. I'd guess the under-dash plastic tubing would be fine since it gets no ambient external heat, the oil in the line would be relatively cool, and it wouldn't be disturbed. Gotta find that black line!

Hans
Wrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:03 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Oil Pressure line..

Tags
1968, corvette, line, oil, pressure, presure