C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dont Let This Happen To You

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 04:18 PM
rastadr
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dont Let This Happen To You

all excited to go to and be in the show at ecklers, drove the car to work and on the first ramp onto the turnpike BANG and the thing hangs a right off the road. AAA flatbed back home. it seems the upper right control arm somehow popped off the front of the rod. the bolt was gone but i still cant understand the physics involved with how the rod came out of the bushing which is still in the arm. neither the arm nor rod are bent. as it turns out bubba the rastadr assumed that the preassembled A arms with the new poly bushings were tighted at van steel before shipped to me. no blame on art and dan who were concerned and immediately shipped a new rod and bushings reminding me to locktight and tighten em this time. checking the other side revealed they too were loose. the lesson here is dont assume anything anytime especially with suspension. this could have been considerately worse especially at 100 with the cruise control on. it seems that this month alot of not so great things are happening to us here so like me from now on BE CAREFULL.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:29 PM
LittleJake
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW! Glad your allright.

I love hearing about the venders who take care of things even when they werent responsible. I have never had any dealings with Van Steel (YET) but when it comes time I will feel 100% better going into the purchase.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:51 PM
mr303
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is not the first time I have heard of cars throwing bolts and/or bushings after installing new poly bushes. I have just done the front end of my 74 so this is of concern! Do they suggest using red loctite on the shaft bolts? God knows how your control arm slipped off the shaft but still has the bush in it!!! It sounds impossible to me.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:54 PM
genuine1980
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rastadr
all excited to go to and be in the show at ecklers, drove the car to work and on the first ramp onto the turnpike BANG and the thing hangs a right off the road. AAA flatbed back home. it seems the upper right control arm somehow popped off the front of the rod. the bolt was gone but i still cant understand the physics involved with how the rod came out of the bushing which is still in the arm. neither the arm nor rod are bent. as it turns out bubba the rastadr assumed that the preassembled A arms with the new poly bushings were tighted at van steel before shipped to me. no blame on art and dan who were concerned and immediately shipped a new rod and bushings reminding me to locktight and tighten em this time. checking the other side revealed they too were loose. the lesson here is dont assume anything anytime especially with suspension. this could have been considerately worse especially at 100 with the cruise control on. it seems that this month alot of not so great things are happening to us here so like me from now on BE CAREFULL.
HOLY CRAP!!!
This happened to me 2 years ago... and it happened 1 day after I raced my friend (thank god it didn't happen during the race).

I too was at a loss of how the bolt came off letting the upper control arm come off. And left absolutly no damage...

It happened to me at a block from my house, so I was able to limp home without damaging the car.
As far as losing the bolt... I found mine in the fan shroud, check and see if it's there.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:13 PM
GOOSE JR.
Pro

Glad you survived. The vintage cars are alot more interesting to own.

Get notified of new replies

To Dont Let This Happen To You

Quick Reply: Dont Let This Happen To You