C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

350 or 400?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 09:54 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

At what compression does the octane level in the gas need to go up? I thought 10.0:1 was the cut off for regular 87. Am I wrong?
Old 10-11-2006, 10:29 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 527 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
At what compression does the octane level in the gas need to go up? I thought 10.0:1 was the cut off for regular 87. Am I wrong?
Yes, you are wrong. Actually, 10.0:1 would require premium fuel for a typical small block with a cam specing about 220@.050" lift.

Static compression ratio means nothing because when the intake valve is still open as the piston rises, there is no compressing happening. A better metric is "dynamic compression ratio". This takes intake closing event into account and explain how you can have an 11:1 engine with a big cam running on pump gas. Google "dynamic compression ratio" and expand your knowledge.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 427V8
68cc might be a bit small for a 400 without big dishes in the pistons.
My 434 with 76cc heads needed 9cc dishes to keep the compression down to 10.5:1

Get a good aluminum head
You will need at least 18cc dished pistons to get static compression to around 10.2:1 with 68cc heads on a 400.
Eddie
Old 10-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SteveG75
Yes, you are wrong. Actually, 10.0:1 would require premium fuel for a typical small block with a cam specing about 220@.050" lift.

Static compression ratio means nothing because when the intake valve is still open as the piston rises, there is no compressing happening. A better metric is "dynamic compression ratio". This takes intake closing event into account and explain how you can have an 11:1 engine with a big cam running on pump gas. Google "dynamic compression ratio" and expand your knowledge.

Has anyone written a paper here at the forum about static and dynamic compression and how different ends of the motor affect each? I'm interested to learn more from a point of view of the guys with the motors.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Demonic Possession
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 427V8
68cc might be a bit small for a 400 without big dishes in the pistons.
My 434 with 76cc heads needed 9cc dishes to keep the compression down to 10.5:1

Get a good aluminum head
Would aluminum heads work on a metal block?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Demonic Possession
Would aluminum heads work on a metal block?

It's all metal mate. Aluminum is just softer and lighter. Iron, like the block and stock heads, is just heavier and harder. Yes, aluminum heads are put on iron blocks all the time to save weight. It's been said though that the iron heads perform better.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Demonic Possession
Pro

OK, took some pictures of the heads here they are:

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a86...u/202%20Heads/

GM 8991492
F196
Old 10-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Fun71
3rd Gear

It's all metal mate. Aluminum is just softer and lighter. Iron, like the block and stock heads, is just heavier and harder. Yes, aluminum heads are put on iron blocks all the time to save weight. It's been said though that the iron heads perform better.

In addition to shaving the pounds, aluminum also has better heat transfer characteristics versus iron. And since most of the cooling is done in the upper cyclider/head area, this is where aluminum really shines-less heat=less chance of predetonation=higher CR possibilities.
As far as the choice of a 350 or a 400? well MY vote would be towards a built up 350 since IMO they have more options than a 400 does, and by that i mean less complicated when doing the math and figuring out what to buy so on and so forth. Also the 350 becuase personally my driving style is owning the street and holding my own at the track, whereas your style may be owning the track and holding ur own on the street. So i guess it really comes down to preference.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:47 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Demonic Possession
OK, took some pictures of the heads here they are:

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a86...u/202%20Heads/

GM 8991492
F196
That is a 3991492. 1970 and up over the counter head. 64 cc angle plug. Basicly The same head as used on the 1970 LT1. You will have people on here tell you they are crap heads. They are not. They don't flow as well as some of the newer designs but are capable of 400 hp + as is with a roller cam and well matched components. The intake runners are smaller than a lot of the modern heads but they will deliver exellent torque at low and midrange because of the increased port velocity and flow well enough for a well built 350 at 6000 RPM. A little small for a 400. If you open up the intake ports and pocket port them they will run as well as most modern aluminum 180 CC aftermarket heads. Back in the day those were the best available. In the 70's when I was drag racing, I seen a lot of cars pulling 11's with a reworked set of these. I worked in a performance machine shop then and that is all we built for small blocks. Good street heads for a 350.

Last edited by 63mako; 10-11-2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:58 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 527 Likes on 356 Posts

Has anyone written a paper here at the forum about static and dynamic compression and how different ends of the motor affect each? I'm interested to learn more from a point of view of the guys with the motors.
Good info here:
http://www.kennedysdynotune.com/Dyna...ion%20Tech.htm
"Dynamic Compression Ratio Explained"

In our attempt to help our customers understand performance and what makes an engine produce power we are going to explain the concept of dynamic compression ratio (DCR). While seemingly esoteric, this is an essential concept in designing an engine for performance use.

The first thing to understand is that "compression ratio" (CR) as it is usually talked about is best termed "static compression ratio". This is a simple concept and represents the ratio of the swept volume of the cylinder (displacement) to the volume above the piston at top dead center (TDC). For example, if a hypothetical cylinder had a displacement of 450cc and a 50cc combustion chamber (plus volume over the piston crown to the head) the CR would be 500/50, or 10:1. If we were to mill the head so that the volume above the piston crown was decreased to 40cc, the CR would now be 490/40, or 12.25:1. Conversely, if we hogged the chamber out to 60cc, the CR would now be 510/60, or 8.5:1.

Everyone knows that high performance engines typically have higher compression ratios. Simply put, higher compression makes more hp. Higher CR also improves fuel efficiency and throttle response. So why not bump up the CR even further? Once CR exceeds a certain point, detonation will occur. Detonation kills power and it kills engine. The amount of compression a given engine can handle is determined by many factors. These include combustion chamber design, head material, use of combustion chamber coatings, etc. Once these mechanical aspects of the engine have been fixed, the main variable is fuel octane. Higher octane = more resistance to detonation and the ability to tolerate more compression.

The above brings up the question that is often on the mind of performance enthusiasts and engine builders: how high should my CR be? Even if you know all about your engine and have decided what fuel you are going to use, the question cannot be answered as phrased. Why? Because without reference to the camshaft specs, talking about (static) CR is next to meaningless!

How is this so? Well, think about the Otto cycle and how a four stroke engine works. The power stroke has been completed and the piston is heading up in the bore. The intake valve is closed and the exhaust valve is open. As the piston rises it is helping to push the spent combustion gasses out the exhaust port. The piston reaches TDC and starts back down. The exhaust valve closes and the intake valve opens. Fresh fuel and air are drawn into the cylinder. The piston reaches bottom dead enter (BDC) and starts back up. This is the critical point as far as understanding DCR. At BDC. the intake valve is still open. Consequently, even though the piston is rising up the bore, there is no compression actually occurring because of the open intake valve. Compression does not begin until the intake valve closes (IVC). Once IVC is reached, the air fuel mixture starts to compress. The ratio of the cylinder volume at IVC over the volume above the piston at TDC represents the dynamic compression ratio. The DCR is what the air fuel mixture actually "sees" and is what "counts", not the static CR. Because DCR is dependent upon IVC, cam specs have as much effect on DCR as does the mechanical specifications of the motor.

DCR is much lower than static CR. Most performance street and street/track motors have DCR in the range of 8-8.5:1. With typical cams, this translates into static CR in the 10.0-12.0:1 range. Higher than this, there may be detonation problems with pump gas. Engines with "small" cams will need a lower static CR to avoid detonation. Engines with "big" cams have a later IVC point and can tolerate a higher static CR. When race fuel is used, much higher DCR (and static CR) may be used because of the detonation resistance of the fuel. Of course, race motors also have much larger camshafts which is another reason they can get away with such high static CR, often in the 13-15:1 range.

Note: there is some confusion about use of the term "Dynamic Compression Ratio". Some people use it to refer to the characteristics of an engine combo running at high speed. In that case, the engines volumetric efficiency will have a major effect on cylinder pressure. In this case, a larger cam will increase cylinder pressure when within its' rev range. Thus, more power and more cylinder pressure will be created. We prefer to think of this concept as "cylinder pressure" to avoid confusion.
There are multiple calculators available that let you calculate DCR.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:13 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Good link. Thank you.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:17 AM
Vesa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stay away from 350
400 or even better 540
Old 10-13-2006, 03:57 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Vesa
stay away from 350
400 or even better 540
I disagree. Look at the heads. They look nice. If you are on a budget you could build a 355 using those heads, a cheap, newer 350 hydraulic roller block core, line hone, zero deck and bore 30 over. A scat 9000 balanced rotating assembly with flatops and a hydraulic roller and put together a nice 375 to 400 hp. dependable street motor for a pretty reasonable price. A forged 400 and different heads and the cost went to 2 or 3 times what would be in the 355. Power cost $

Last edited by 63mako; 10-13-2006 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:18 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

350s seem cheaper to build on average. More parts available for more bores and strokes. 2 cents.

Quick Reply: 350 or 400?