C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Edelbrock make a good carb?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 05:08 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Speed demon 750 vac secondaries with electric choke if you are interested. like new. ran great. original packaging, manual, video, etc.

$250 shipped.

ccherri@yahoo.com

ps...I ran one of the "edlebrock" carbs and they are crap. dont't bother.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:13 PM
plasticchevy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

edelbrock has a good out of the box carb. But as far as performance goes the Q-jet is a better carb. There's a reason they made & used these carbs for so many years.

The q-jet does require a little tlc. And matybe a little tinkering from time to time. A rebuild kit for a q-jet is cheaper than a new/used edelbrock or holley, and this my friend translates into money I can spend elsewhere.

Doug Roe wrote a book on Rochester carbs and it is without a doubt the most useful piece of literature I have ever bought. He focuses heavily on the Q-jet. I was gonna buy a holley, saw the price tag, bought his book instead and after a couple rebuilds I couldn't be happier with my Q-jet
Old 10-07-2006, 07:55 PM
tigers123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default They all have their problems

Hollies had a problem with power valves and back fires taking them out, Quadrajets have fuel well leaks, I've seen complaints about some the Holley clones as well. To say the current rendition of the Edelbrock is a dyed in the wool carter afb is somewhat of a misnomer, as there have been quite a few changes to the carburetor. They all have their pluses and minuses. I would say for a street car with a mild setup there is not a darn thing wrong with a Edelbrock. The have become extremely reliable. I prefer that to tear downs anyday. However if you are after all out screaming performance maybe the holley or a reworked Quadrajet is more to your likeing. You can also get dual four Edelbrocks which will probably do allright as well. If weber took over edelbrock manufacture it does not mean that the quality has necesarily gone down. Weber has made some fine fuel sytems for a long time. It is all about application and particular problems with each brand. You will not hear me condem any brand just because of a particular problem. And you will not hear me praise any of them for being the only one to use.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:37 PM
jdmick
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like my Edelbrock 1406. Easy to tune, predictable, and reliable. If I'm giving up a little HP that's fine with me.
Here's a Car Craft article on the AFB.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/carb_tuning/
Old 10-07-2006, 08:43 PM
silver74vette
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I bought a 600 CFM Performer for my vette and have been mildly frustrated. I was recently given a Holley 1460 rated at 750 CFM which I installed and ran. I will be buying the correct size Holley at the first opportunity (read: when my wife lets me).

The Holley transitions much better, at least for my mild motor.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2006, 08:53 PM
TEXASRANGER
HOOK-EM HORNS

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 696 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I tried one of their carbs and one of there hp air filters. Ended up sending both back.

HOLLY for me .
Old 10-07-2006, 10:40 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by bondoboy
Your vacuum leak is probably a worn throttle shaft bushing.
My 1972 base engine rochester had a worn base plate at the primary throttle shaft. It was sucking air at the throttle shaft and couldn't be tuned because of it. There are rebuilders that will bore the base plate and bush it. They have an aluminum base plate with a steel throttle shaft through the hole drilled in the base plate. Looked like it was made to wear out. I found my leak with it idling and sprayed some carb cleaner on the base plate to clean it and it sucked it right in, could hear the engine rev a little. I went "Oh wow, no wonder I am having problems tuning it." Had it bushed and rebuilt. Night and day difference. It was incredibly responsive. Liked it so much I got 3 rochesters on my 63 now.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:24 AM
sam74c3
Pro

Opened a can of worms here didnt ya! I told you everybodys got their brand. Seriously...if you're running an average street motor, then an Edelbrock is a good and very simple carb. Holleys being easier to work on is just
Old 10-08-2006, 07:54 AM
jlelec
Pro

Mine runs great, but I would rather have a quadrajet. Mine was already changed when I got the car. I have to agree with the majority, given the choice, go with the quadrajet.. The Eldebrock is a however a good "get you by"..
Old 10-08-2006, 11:04 AM
73'Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by 81corvettevortec
A friend of mine has a 650 edelbrock performer carb that he will sell for about $100. I am not sure how good of a carb it really is. i was wanting a holley 650 double pumper, but this might work in the mean time. my engine is a 355 with vortec heads, KB rotating assembly with about 10:1 compression, Comp cam 268 grind, and a performer vortec intake. thanks for any help or suggestions,

Ryan.
Your engine sounds very similar to mine. I had a 1406 Edelbrock on my engine for quite awhile before deciding to rebuild an old Holley 650 double pumper I had laying in the garage. I was very skeptical at first, but the Holley definitely outperforms the Edelbrock. The Edelbrock will be seeing Ebay in the near future.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:02 PM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sam74c3
Opened a can of worms here didnt ya! I told you everybodys got their brand. Seriously...if you're running an average street motor, then an Edelbrock is a good and very simple carb. Holleys being easier to work on is just
Why is a holley harder to work on? Remove 4 bolts and the bowl and metering block come off. You then have access to the jets, power valve and accelerator pump. Float adjustment is done externally with the engine running.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:18 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Yes they do. And they are very dependable. My Holley was just a source of misery. The Edelbrock #1406 has served me well with no issues for three driving seasons.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:36 AM
saudivette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bondoboy
Why is a holley harder to work on....
I agree. I think you can strip a Holley in about 7 minutes with a Leatherman!

I prefer a Quadrajet but Holleys get my vote for ease of maintenance and adjustment
Old 10-09-2006, 04:21 AM
78CO_VETTE
Advanced

Everyone has their own ideas on carburetors. I myself am not a carb guy, but I can rebuild an Edelbrock with no problem. I like them for their simplicity. Also, I don't think Edelbrock made a 650. It's probably a 600cfm. Summit sell's a Carter thats a 650.
I tried looking up the Carter 650 on summit and cannot find one. Edelbrock does have a thunder series in a 650 cfm. Maybe I am missing something or just cannot find the Carter. sam74c3, If you know where to find a Carter please let me know. A long while ago when the Edelbrock's first came out they were much more expensive than the carter's.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:51 AM
sam74c3
Pro

You're right, its because of the thunder series. I havent delt with them personaly. I can only find the Carter AFB's in my old catologs, so I guess you would have to shop EBAY.

Last edited by sam74c3; 10-09-2006 at 05:24 AM.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:47 PM
78CO_VETTE
Advanced

You're right, its because of the thunder series. I havent delt with them personaly. I can only find the Carter AFB's in my old catologs, so I guess you would have to shop EBAY.
Thanks for checking sam74c3.

Quick Reply: Does Edelbrock make a good carb?