C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

increasing coil spring height?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 09:09 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default increasing coil spring height?

I want my front springs to be about 1/2" to 3/4" taller.

Is there a way to do this or do I just start with new springs and cut away until I get the height I want?

One reason is to level the front (1/4" diff) and the other is to get just a little more height. It is sitting just a little low for my preferences.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:04 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

This what your looking for?
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 10-04-2006, 08:22 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 71roadster
I want my front springs to be about 1/2" to 3/4" taller.

Is there a way to do this or do I just start with new springs and cut away until I get the height I want?

One reason is to level the front (1/4" diff) and the other is to get just a little more height. It is sitting just a little low for my preferences.
The last coil of a spring is bent in an effort to make it flat on both the top and bottom. I would guess that many who cut their springs do not put this bend back in.

Mr Gasket also sells spacers to go between the coils instead of the prior mentioned spacer which goes above or below the spring. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku I believe the car is jacked up to allow the spring to open up and then these blocks are installed (twisted in). The coil spring does not have to be removed. After a short drive around the block, you should be able to remeasure your height to see where its at.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:50 AM
Jims79
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr Gasket also sells spacers to go between the coils instead of the prior mentioned spacer which goes above or below the spring. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku I believe the car is jacked up to allow the spring to open up and then these blocks are installed (twisted in). The coil spring does not have to be removed. After a short drive around the block, you should be able to remeasure your height to see where its at.[/QUOTE]

I used this type of spacer on older car's but cruzer's & ragtops not a performance car like a vette. I can you hitting a dog leg hard & one of these twisted chunks of metal letting loose & going right through your front fender or fire wall...

I would buy new taller performance springs maybe a Gymkhana they don't give as much as the Grand Touring. But what do I know most guys are tring to lower their vettes.

Get notified of new replies

To increasing coil spring height?

Quick Reply: increasing coil spring height?