C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crossmember mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 01:46 AM
79 t-top
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crossmember mod

does anyone know who on the assembly line decided that in 1979 the 4 speeds needed to be welded in and the autos not... Has anyone modified their crossmember with bolt in style? If so how hard was it Changing the clutch is going to be a little bit more difficult.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:54 AM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It started long before 1979
There are kits available for conversion.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:30 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Bob Onit
It started long before 1979
There are kits available for conversion.
All C3s were that way. Why, I don't know.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:09 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 778 Likes on 557 Posts

Why Chevrolet made the decision to make and stock two different part number frames is beyond me. I know it's not necessarily Chevy's fault for not considering the future uses of the car, but the welded in crossmember sure made it a major PITA for those of us with aftermarket five and six speed transmissions.

ps: 79 t-top: I bought my '69 in Anchorage years ago when I lived there. Loved driving it on the winding roads there (Seward to Fairbanks).
Old 09-22-2006, 10:10 AM
TopGunn
Drifting

Originally Posted by 79 t-top
does anyone know who on the assembly line decided that in 1979 the 4 speeds needed to be welded in and the autos not... Has anyone modified their crossmember with bolt in style? If so how hard was it Changing the clutch is going to be a little bit more difficult.
My 75 is the same way also but you won't have any problems removing the 4 speed with the welded X-member, it comes right out easily. Remove the shifter assembly and bracket, right hand exhaust pipe, pull the transmission back then lower the front down and to the right. I've done mine 3-4 times,(screwing around with my Centerforce II clutch ) The problems start when installing 5 or 6 speed upgrades, then I'd either install a removable one or modify it with flanges so it can be unbolted.
Bill
Old 09-22-2006, 11:37 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 69427
Why Chevrolet made the decision to make and stock two different part number frames is beyond me. I know it's not necessarily Chevy's fault for not considering the future uses of the car, but the welded in crossmember sure made it a major PITA for those of us with aftermarket five and six speed transmissions.
Seems like any potential greater costs of the bolted crossmember would be negated by the PITA of buying and stocking two different frames. From a business view, GM made some odd decisions in that era.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:49 AM
73 red vette
Racer

Originally Posted by TopGunn
My 75 is the same way also but you won't have any problems removing the 4 speed with the welded X-member, it comes right out easily. Remove the shifter assembly and bracket, right hand exhaust pipe, pull the transmission back then lower the front down and to the right. I've done mine 3-4 times,(screwing around with my Centerforce II clutch ) The problems start when installing 5 or 6 speed upgrades, then I'd either install a removable one or modify it with flanges so it can be unbolted.
Bill
Bill
Thanks for the info my 73 will be needing a new clutch soon and I was wondering about that welded x-member as it doesn't seem to have enough space to move it back enough to get the spline out. Really not looking forward to doing this in my garage, but nobody works on my cars but me.
Rich
Old 09-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Graemeinvette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the Bowtie crossmember when fitting a Tremec T56 box.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:04 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Originally Posted by 73 red vette
Bill
Thanks for the info my 73 will be needing a new clutch soon and I was wondering about that welded x-member as it doesn't seem to have enough space to move it back enough to get the spline out. Really not looking forward to doing this in my garage, but nobody works on my cars but me.
Rich
Yup I hear you, same here. I use jackstands and get it up in the air enough so you can move around under the car. I can pull it out by myself using a small floor jack to lower it down but I need help getting it back up in place. My old muscles aren't as good as they used to be! It's not too bad a job.

Good luck with it.

Bill
Old 09-22-2006, 12:10 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Originally Posted by Graemeinvette
Hey what's you opinion on that crossmember??? I looked at a picture of one and I was wondering if the strength was comparable to the stock GM design. Hard to tell from your picture but it looks like you may have welded something to it in the trans mount area. ??

I'm thinking of doing a trans swap this winter.

Thanks, Bill
Old 09-22-2006, 01:04 PM
myoriginal77
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm also interested in a crossmember swap, not sure what to do yet but the LS1 & T56 is getting ready ....

Frank
Old 09-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Graemeinvette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey what's you opinion on that crossmember??? I looked at a picture of one and I was wondering if the strength was comparable to the stock GM design. Hard to tell from your picture but it looks like you may have welded something to it in the trans mount area. ??

I'm thinking of doing a trans swap this winter.

Thanks, Bill
Yeah we had to change the mount slightly to take the Tremec box, photo shows it before painting of course!
Old 09-22-2006, 01:36 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Default RamJet crossmember mod

I elected to modify my welded in crossmember for easy Tremec TKO access. Here are a few pics of how I did it.

Bullshark
Old 09-22-2006, 01:37 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

it started long before '79......... I think ALL C3's are that way aren't they?

don't complain though - at least the guys (like me ) with auto's are lucky enough to have a removable tranny crossmember. On the C1's and C2's NONE of the crossmembers are removable short of a cutting torch. They are all welded in
Old 09-22-2006, 02:01 PM
exdrag77
Instructor

I looked at those a while back. I like them since you don't run the exhaust through the crossmember. I'm planning on a 4 speed auto soon and plan on using the "bowtie" type as well.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:46 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Yeah we had to change the mount slightly to take the Tremec box, photo shows it before painting of course!
Thanks.....file to fit huh!!
Old 09-22-2006, 02:50 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Bullshark...... Really nice job. Looks like you might have a CNC program for the flanges, they're nicely done.

Why didn't you elect to put a 4th bolt on the radius side?? Or am I not seeing something??

Get notified of new replies

To crossmember mod

Old 09-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Bullshark...... Really nice job. Looks like you might have a CNC program for the flanges, they're nicely done.

Why didn't you elect to put a 4th bolt on the radius side?? Or am I not seeing something??
thanks, All I really did was take my sketch and the center section into a friends machine shop who has a high pressure water jet cutting tool.
He generated the program based on my sketch and matched the inner flange cuttout to the crossmember cross section. I then had him weld the two inner flanges to the center section properly squared. It was then very easy to slide the outer flanges on each of the outer sections, bolt up the center and then tack weld the outer flanges in place. I removed the center section and finished the weld on the outer sections. You don't have access to the upper forward corner due to the seat floor board profile. That is why no 4th bolt. I had one of our strength guys here where I work look at it and tell me all is fine. I did have to do a little grinding, cause he didn't follow my sketch exactly. Oh well, you get what you pay for In, this case I got much more than I paid for

Bullshark

Last edited by Bullshark; 09-22-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:18 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bullshark
I did have to do a little grinding, cause he didn't follow my sketch exactly. Oh well, you get what you pay for In, this case I got much more than I paid for
Bullshark
Yes, I'd say you made out real well. I'm tempted to try that instead of cutting mine out then trying to get the new one in the right spot. If I can cut the thing square and make up some flanges like that I'd be happy. Thanks for the tips!!
Bill
Old 09-22-2006, 09:35 PM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 73 red vette
Bill
Rich
Believe me
I have replaced tons of four speeds/clutches on GM cars with bolt on X members
When it came to my current 73' I paid the $400 in labor to have someone else do the job

If I had a lift I would have done it myself but after multiple back surgerys I refused to spend a day on my back
To each his own

Last edited by Bob Onit; 09-23-2006 at 04:35 AM.

Quick Reply: crossmember mod