C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine just stalled on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 08:04 PM
tonyk72
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default engine just stalled on the highway

I was driving about 70 and the engine just died. I pulled over and tried to restart multiple times with no luck. I finally managed to get it started with the gas pedal floored. I drove another 15 miles with no issues.
Today I experienced the same symptoms. Right after I started my engine - during the fast idle - the engine just died again. I tried giving it some more gas duing idle and that didn't help. After a few starts, it idled normally.
This is happening about 100 miles into my cam swap. I had also installed a new fuel pump. It seems like a fuel delivery problem to me. Where should I start looking?
Old 09-19-2006, 08:15 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

Mechanical or electric fuel pump?
Old 09-19-2006, 08:17 PM
mr303
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I would check the fuel pump, filter and lines for crap, if your cam was at fault the engine would run poorly all the time. It sounds like your engine is getting starved of gas. If it does it again (won't start) whip your air cleaner off and pump the throttle linkage it should squirt gas from the accelerator pump if you have fuel.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:41 PM
J.Aro75Vette
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad had the same problem with his 77, it happened to him a few times, turned out to be a peice of crud lodged in the carb somewhere, he took the carb out and took it apart to give it a cleaning. Its worked fine ever since.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 355 Posts

Probablly fuel related, but if not, then ignition. I had a Pertronix unit go out, and it acted simular to your car, then went out completely. That made it easy to diagnoise!
Old 09-20-2006, 05:24 AM
justanotherdoe
Racer

Agree that it sounds more fuel supply than cam related. My electric fuel pump went intermittant and the car would die when the pump stopped (imagine that). Fixed the pump, fixed the problem.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:31 AM
tonyk72
Racer

It's a mechanical pump. I'll pull the fuel filters on the Holley and have a look see later today.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:49 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyk72
I was driving about 70 and the engine just died. I pulled over and tried to restart multiple times with no luck. I finally managed to get it started with the gas pedal floored. I drove another 15 miles with no issues.
Today I experienced the same symptoms. Right after I started my engine - during the fast idle - the engine just died again. I tried giving it some more gas duing idle and that didn't help. After a few starts, it idled normally.
This is happening about 100 miles into my cam swap. I had also installed a new fuel pump. It seems like a fuel delivery problem to me. Where should I start looking?
I agree ... fuel delivery. You say new cam. If pump & filters OK... possible it wiped the fuel pump lobe ... or (if you used one during pump install) did you forget to remove a fuel pump rod "stop" bolt at front of motor (binding rod)? Assume you don't have the feed-return lines fouled up/swapped?

*edit* please disregard if mistaken ... seems you used to reside Chas SC ... I'll be there next month for USS Brooke reunion.

Last edited by jackson; 09-20-2006 at 03:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To engine just stalled on the highway

Quick Reply: engine just stalled on the highway