C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery cutoff switch antitheft

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 11:41 AM
pef427
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Onit
We had this same discussion a few weeks ago
If you want a heavy duty cutoff switch here ir is

http://www.spectorracing.com/catalog..._terminal.html
Hey Bob,
The ad says 4 terminal, what are the other 2 terminals used for? Is the red switch removable? Also, to pass tech with NHRA and IHRA would this need to be outside the car or could it be mounted inside?
-P
Old 09-15-2006, 11:47 AM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pef427
Hey Bob,
The ad says 4 terminal, what are the other 2 terminals used for? Is the red switch removable? Also, to pass tech with NHRA and IHRA would this need to be outside the car or could it be mounted inside?
-P
Sorry, wrong link
Heres the two terminal

http://www.spectorracing.com/catalog..._Terminal.html

As far as NHRA I have no idea... it cam be mounted anywhere providing you can make the proper cable
I just know that they are great switches as I used them on an entire fleet many years ago when I was a heavy equipment mechanic

Last edited by Bob Onit; 09-15-2006 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Todbo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy had a pressure switch under his carpet , that has to be pressed on during ignition , I purchased one myself , haven't installed it , got it from a local stereo shop.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:49 PM
73VetteKS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the grounding approach for my 73. Rather than adding a switch, and since I don't smoke or allow anyone to smoke in the Vette, I ran the wire to my cigarette lighter. When the lighter is pushed in, the ignition is grounded. I also hid the wire in a vacume hose from the firewall to the coil. Unless they take the distributor shielding off, they won't find the extra wire. It won't stop someone that want's it real bad. I have fallen victim to it a few times when traveling, when I forgot that I pushed the lighter in.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:50 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

It's a bit of a PIA because you have to raise the hood and futz around with the engine, but I have heard of using a dummy wire between the coil and the distributor cap to disable a vehicle. Unless the thief sees you doing it, that's a pretty tough one to figure out, and the car would crank but never start.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:15 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by norvalwilhelm
I agree. If the starter doesn't turn over it gives them a clue what to look for. I have a hidden KEYED switch that has to be bypassed in a certain way that allows the motor to start. Without this bypass the motor starts, runs fine for about 100 yards and then comes to a stop, not to restart again until reset.
That is the beauty of the MSD (ignition) theft deterant very easy to intall a hidden switch

I saw a TV program where they had 2 ex car thieves try to steal a car for the show. THe car had the steering wheel club, foot brake club, siren and a few other security measures PLUS it had a hidden igintion cutoff.

They worked as a team one guy was in the car in about 3 seconds, popped the hood and the other guy cut the wires to the siren, he hacked thru the club and just ripped the foot club out and then pulled the ignition and was turning the motor over in less than 30 seconds.

He could not start the car and said there was no way he could because he didn't have any idea where the cutoff switch was and he wasn't about to look around for it.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:17 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 549 Likes on 376 Posts

I have an electric fuel pump. The switch to the pump is in the emergency jack compartment in my 68. When parked, I can leave the pump switched off, so if someone starts the car, It'll only run until the fuel bowls empty. One extra advantage of this techique, is that as I walk up to the parked 68 and someone carjacks me, I can give them the key knowing they will drive away and leave me alone. (Assuming the probably brainless carjacker knows how to shift gears!) Of course, they won't go very far, but far enough that they can't force me to tell them how to make the car run.

Actually there's a row of three switches. One switch turns on my Aeromotive fuel pump controller. The controller, when it receives engine tach pulses from the HEI distributor, will power on the Aeromotive pump. The controller runs the pump at slow speed when the engine is idling, gradually speeds up the pump as engine rpm increases, and eventually runs the pump at full speed at high engine rpm's. The second switch, bypasses the Aeromotive pump controller, and applies full 12 volts to the Aeromotive pump. The third switch turns on a Holley blue pump at full power. The Holley is a redundant pump intended to get home on if the Aeromotive fails. The Holley output has a oneway flow valve so that when the Aeromotive pump is running, it won't cause backward flow through the powered off Holley. All this is wired up now. I still have the fuel line plumbing to do for the two pumps.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:03 PM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MotorHead
I saw a TV program where they had 2 ex car thieves try to steal a car for the show.
I read an article many many years ago which was an excerpt from a book that a car thief wrote while he was in prison.

There was one Corvette that he really really wanted to steal. It had a motion alarm on it which would sound off if the car was fooled with.
The author/thief went to the guys driveway every night for a period of time (I dont remember the specifics as it was many years ago) and shook the car causing the alarm to go off then ran away...he contiued this for a while until the owner got tired of getting up in the middle of the night to reset the alarm

So one night the thief returns, shakes the car........and nothing, the owner had disabled the alarm in disgust.

That morning when the owner looked in his driveway I would guess he had tears in his eyes......GONE!
Oh well, just some more usless info I thought I would share .

Last edited by Bob Onit; 09-15-2006 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:19 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Guys, there's lots of good ideas in this thread, don't post them all for the world to see!
Old 09-15-2006, 09:51 PM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shafrs3
Guys, there's lots of good ideas in this thread, don't post them all for the world to see!
Haha, good info for us to prevent some a-hole from taking my baby.

My pops installed a magnetic kill switch in his Firebird GTA but that always acts up at times. Kill switch is a good idea. I guess I'll keep that flaming river keyed batter cutoff on file and wait till i get my engine setup and pick an ignition system.
Any recommendations for an aftermarktet carbed 454 pushing aprox 600hp. Just looking for suggestions, will research and consult my engine builder.
Thanks guys for your input. May the loves of our lives stay safe and our women & children be healthy.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:51 PM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

I diddnt think of that
And I was just knocking the media a day or so ago for giving crimials the resources the needed....
Old 09-15-2006, 10:57 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I think they already know all this stuff, the hard part for them is finding a hidden switch
Old 09-15-2006, 11:11 PM
TEXASRANGER
HOOK-EM HORNS

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 696 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default alarm

I want my alarm to go off, LOUD, and I do not want them to be able to start it. I have a hidden toggle switch that cuts the hot wire to the dist. If I have to leave it parked at a motel over night I pull the coil wire and with the metal dist cover on and the alarm going off..........well. Sure they can hook it with a wrecker but I back it in to make that harder and I have a motion detector as well. But nothing is for sure.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:57 AM
kb2fzq
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 68 NJConv 454
Now how do you block a flatbed??
Park your GT right tight to the vert.....

'course, you're right....if they really want it, they'll get it....
Old 09-16-2006, 08:56 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXASRANGER
I want my alarm to go off, LOUD, and I do not want them to be able to start it. I have a hidden toggle switch that cuts the hot wire to the dist. If I have to leave it parked at a motel over night I pull the coil wire and with the metal dist cover on and the alarm going off..........well. Sure they can hook it with a wrecker but I back it in to make that harder and I have a motion detector as well. But nothing is for sure.
What year is your car,doesnt say in your profile?
Old 09-16-2006, 03:44 PM
TEXASRANGER
HOOK-EM HORNS

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Default vette

The dark gray one is a 81, modded up. The one I am working on now is a 74 BB, changing right now to a ZZ502 deluxe.

3 hours and 15 min to remove the 454, including exhaust etc. Did this yesterday.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:02 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

i let the air out of my tires every time I park, and carry a bicycle pump with me. Nobody will steal my car with 4 flat tires, I come back, pump up the tires, and off I go!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Battery cutoff switch antitheft

Old 09-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PRNDL

i let the air out of my tires every time I park, and carry a bicycle pump with me. Nobody will steal my car with 4 flat tires, I come back, pump up the tires, and off I go!!!
Thats stoopit
Why not drop the spare and mount it.... one less tire to pump up...
Old 09-16-2006, 08:47 PM
TEXASRANGER
HOOK-EM HORNS

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Bob Onit
Thats stoopit
Why not drop the spare and mount it.... one less tire to pump up...

You could just drain the oil out of the engine, that would show them a-holes.....
Old 09-16-2006, 08:53 PM
cmac72
Instructor

I intersepted the 12 volt to the distributor and ran it through a switch hidden in the passenger area of the car. Not entirely foolproof; however, unless you know where the switch is even with the key you can't start the car. Of course, the only drawback is if the switch fails you car dies. Minor inconvenience at highway speeds or cornering.

Quick Reply: Battery cutoff switch antitheft