C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone customized their interior...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 10:38 PM
swampblues
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone customized their interior...

custom seats? custom carpet? or custom sheetmetal work?
custom dash (diamond plate?) and doorpanels?
custom gauges? ...

totally abandoning the stock look.

i'm trying to gather some visual ideas and input.

thanks for any replies - silly ones are welcome.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:14 PM
rosslato
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

i've got the ultra lite autometer gages w/angled trim rings. the rest of my interior is mostly stock outside of the steering wheel & stereo. i put the elect fan over ride switch where the seatbelt lites were at.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:50 PM
Silver00V6Camaro
Drifting

Old 08-31-2006, 12:40 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Glance my site real quick, it's a work in progress on and off for about ten years now.....so what's the hurry???

anyway, it's a street driver nearly every day....
Old 08-31-2006, 07:16 AM
my72vette454
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres my dash in the works, the old shifter console was being replaced so I was attempting to fit the stereo in under the center section of the dash but there just isnt enough room to stuff it in there. I made the suround for the center section out of stainless steel so it could be polished to shine like the original. I used mild steel for the filler panel because its easier to cut holes in it to mount the guages. It also bolts into the surround so if down the road I want to change the guage setup I can bolt in a new blank.
Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2006, 07:56 AM
litevette
Melting Slicks

Hairy Glass dash, Autometer ultra lights, B&M pistol grip quarter stick, fabbed door panels, kirkey seats, lokar park brake handle, 4 point harness (forget who made them), light weight mirror.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:22 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Working on it..well actually barely started. When done I'll probably have a custom sheetmetal dash, the whole gauge layout is nothing like stock. I'll most likely have those nice kirkey seats like in the above pics...absolutely love those.

Right now i have the speedo and tach mounted on the dash bar, they will sit in their own pod, all the others will be on the right side (and I've got a couple of others..I think I have 14 in total )

Custom carbon pedals already installed, as well as custom liteweight mirror

Old 08-31-2006, 02:47 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm installing 2001 Celica GT buckets in my '77. Best buckets I have EVER sat in. I'm also wrapping EVERY interior panel in either black leather of charcoal suede. Custom stereo, fully sound and heat shielded. I even installed a rear mirror from a Sunfire that has the little map lights and tied it into the courtecy light system. many other small changes. Nothing stock.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:57 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Old 08-31-2006, 02:59 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's the spring loaded kick in the gonadsmajiggermabob

that's a coil over shock from the rer suspension...I was messing about with it and just laid it down there so it was within reach
Old 08-31-2006, 03:13 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo

that's a coil over shock from the rer suspension...I was messing about with it and just laid it down there so it was within reach

It looks like a professional installation on that photo
Old 08-31-2006, 03:14 PM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha, i had the same question when I saw it in there.
Like the way you set up the guages TT.

And how come your floor is so clean???

Last edited by 68 NJConv 454; 08-31-2006 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:07 PM
panic
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Working on it..well actually barely started. When done I'll probably have a custom sheetmetal dash, the whole gauge layout is nothing like stock. I'll most likely have those nice kirkey seats like in the above pics...absolutely love those.

Right now i have the speedo and tach mounted on the dash bar, they will sit in their own pod, all the others will be on the right side (and I've got a couple of others..I think I have 14 in total )

Custom carbon pedals already installed, as well as custom liteweight mirror

T/T i like the light dash design with the gauges fixed that way, i'd leave that way, maybe only finishing the tubes in brushed alu?
i've been thinking to 'empty' the front of my car cabin many times but i never find the courage to do it...how much weight you've got rid taking out the whole dash?
Old 08-31-2006, 06:32 PM
68vertible
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
I'm installing 2001 Celica GT buckets in my '77. Best buckets I have EVER sat in. I'm also wrapping EVERY interior panel in either black leather of charcoal suede. Custom stereo, fully sound and heat shielded. I even installed a rear mirror from a Sunfire that has the little map lights and tied it into the courtecy light system. many other small changes. Nothing stock.

Some of the same....every surface is covered in a very soft black Italian glove leather, soundproofing and heat shielding everywhere. Working on a sound system now that mounts in the back of the rear compartment since the only stock speakers were in the kick panels. I want it to look like it came from the factory, not a drop-in. Once you get past the 'gotta be original' then the sky's the limit....well maybe the bank balance is the limit.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:49 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 68vertible

Some of the same....every surface is covered in a very soft black Italian glove leather, soundproofing and heat shielding everywhere. Working on a sound system now that mounts in the back of the rear compartment since the only stock speakers were in the kick panels. I want it to look like it came from the factory, not a drop-in. Once you get past the 'gotta be original' then the sky's the limit....well maybe the bank balance is the limit.

Are you covering your stock seats or installing aftermarket buckets?
Old 08-31-2006, 07:00 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

redoign gauge cluster over the winter

amp rack and subs

interior was done with green tweed.... seats need to be done and new steering wheel......

b
Old 08-31-2006, 07:04 PM
68vertible
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
Are you covering your stock seats or installing aftermarket buckets?
Stockers for now, but seriously considering aftermarket....I'm getting tired of laying on my back all the time and there just isn't a lot of ways to adjust '68 seats.

Get notified of new replies

To anyone customized their interior...

Old 08-31-2006, 07:08 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Almost looks like a standard rear deck under your windshield with all those speakers up there. I like the finish on the doors...ver smooth and clean looking. Great looking custom amp rack too...I like how you have the CAPS worked in too.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:11 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 68vertible
Stockers for now, but seriously considering aftermarket....I'm getting tired of laying on my back all the time and there just isn't a lot of ways to adjust '68 seats.

Well, you'll have trouble finding seats narrow enough to fit right, and the tracks become as issue as well when the trans hump widens. I had to do some cutting on my new seat's tracks, and have drilled my own mounting holes. The seatbelts are also an issue, but if I use '02 Camaro style belts I can just grind down the insert tab to match that of the Toyota's and clean it up fro a smooth look.

By the way...these Celica buckets are THE MOST COMFORTABLE BUCKETS I HAVE EVER SAT IN !!!
Old 08-31-2006, 08:55 PM
swampblues
Intermediate

wow - thanks for all those replies and pictures.
i am very inspired and will have further questions.

Quick Reply: anyone customized their interior...