C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Thermostat temperature?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 02:34 PM
gmviso
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Thermostat temperature?

Going through the engine of my 77 with 136k miles mostly to eliminate oil leaks, and some PM (like chaging Timing chain.gears). Turns out the thermostat housing has really corroded where the upper radiator hose attaches to the tune of big ***** of missing metal. So since I have to take it off anyway I am just going to change the thermostat while I am at it.

According to www.acdelco.com the correct temp is 195 degrees. However, my engine was operating at 175 degrees according to the temp guage, suggesting that maybe a 180 degree unit is in there now.

I saw someone suggest running a 160 degree but am not sure of the ramifications of that.

I live in Indiana so the annual temperatures are all over the place. Probably will be garaged most of the winter, except maybe when the streets are dry.

So what temp should I put in?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:39 PM
rabiddawg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would go no lower than 180
lower temp thermostats will not remove the condensation from the oil.
but a 195 thermostat is the correct one to use as long as you are not overheating
Old 08-28-2006, 04:07 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

if you still have all the emiision equipment on your car like the A.I.R injectoroe tubes and AIR pump I'd stick with the factory spec 195º t-stat as that motor is SUPPOSE to run hotter to allow the emissions system to operate correctly.
If your emissions equipment has been removed than you can drop down to a 180º t-stat if you wanted or leave it at a 195º unit. Either one will be fine.
I would never run a 160º t-stat.

Remember, a t-stat will only control the minimum operating temp anyway, not how high of a temp the motor will actually get to.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:40 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

IF you have to meet emissions testing standards, and IF you can't meet the requirement with a lower temp thermostat, put the 195 deg. unit back in. Otherwise, put a 160 deg. thermo in and save the engine a bit. The system won't run much cooler with a long run, but it will take a bit longer to reach its max. temp. The thermostat is primarily in there just to heat the water quickly when you need the heater. Since you don't run it in the winter.....

Get notified of new replies

To Which Thermostat temperature?

Quick Reply: Which Thermostat temperature?