C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to mount MSD 6al???

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2001, 01:55 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Where to mount MSD 6al???

I am gonna mount my MSD box tomorrow or monday, however, where do you think i should mount the box. I was thinking about putting it on the drivers side fenderwell. However, someone told me that its not a good idea to put it inside the engine compartment due to heat and in case water gets in there. True or False?? The only other place i could think of is on the passenger kick panel inside the car.

What did everyone else do??
Thanks
Chris
Old 09-09-2001, 02:49 AM
DR'76
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Where to mount MSD 6al??? (74VETTE)

I put mine on the left-most (driver's side) section of the firewall, alongside of where the fusebox wires come thru. There is a nice little "cubby hole" there where the 6A fits nicely. It's also out of site and away from wheel splash. I'm missing that little piece of "floorboard" where the charcoal canister should be, so you may need to remove that to get at the screws... :cool:
Old 09-09-2001, 02:59 AM
fireball
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine is in the windsheild wiper compartment on the passenger side.
Old 09-09-2001, 03:25 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I mounted mine on the passenger fender well and in front of the gills.

Chuck
Old 09-09-2001, 09:06 AM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Like a few on the forum I have mine on the lower valance in front of the radiator.
Lots of air flow which is great for the unit and have been in rain without a problem.

[Modified by 69er, 7:06 AM 9/9/2001]
Old 09-09-2001, 09:50 AM
73 Teach's Pet
Instructor

I have read previously posted threads on this topic, so a little research could net you more suggestions which is where I found the suggestion to mount mine. I mounted my box behind the passengers side lower floor pan shield that sticks out from the car. My box has been there for over a year, and has seen heavy heavy rain yeilding not problems. By putting my box there, the splash pan holds the box in place, so there are no holes to drill and allows easy access, as well as easy installation and removal. The power to run the box can be gotten from the starter, and I grounded the box to the frame. Then I ran the rest of the wires up to the distributor inside some black plastic wire tubing along with the rest of the wiring that goes to the starter to keep the wiring all clustered together. I have found that my MSD box makes radio interference noise. I had to buy the MSD noise filter. Though I have not had time to mount the noise filter, I have read where it is to be mounted as close to the MSD box as possible. I can mount the noise filter onto the frame and keep it close to the MSC box.
"TEACH"
Electronics class.....dismissed!
Old 09-09-2001, 11:19 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 858 Likes on 629 Posts

74Vette I just mounted a 6al on my 69 5 days ago., I mounted it in the passeger side fender in front of the gills on my car. I got my heavy red lead mounted to the batt terminal on the starter and got my switched 12 volts for the wiper motor. This location makes the wires easily reachable to everything. I am using an MSD distributer so I am using the magnetic pickup wires on mine. I found when I asked this question on the forum I got alot of great answers but it seems as if the 6a boxes can fit where tthe 6al's can't like in front of the radiator but that would be a great spot.
Old 09-09-2001, 11:49 AM
Stingy74
Safety Car

You could do as this guy did. Mind you, it is a full drag car. I don't think he minds having it there.
Old 09-09-2001, 02:08 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Where to mount MSD 6al??? (Chuck Harmon)

I mounted mine on the passenger fender well and in front of the gills.

Chuck
Been in same place since spring of 98 without any problem.
Old 09-09-2001, 02:17 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 767 Likes on 535 Posts

Default Re: Where to mount MSD 6al??? (Stingy74)

I mounted mine on the passenger side wheel well behind the expansion tank. I hooked it directly up to the battery because I had the engine/transmission out at the time and it was easy to run the wires through the tranny tunnel. I hooked the ignition wire stright to the fuse box because there is a terminal in the fuse box marked ING on the 71's and thought this was the easist way to do it. I had to drill a small hole in the firewall on the passenger side behind the dash but this was no big deal. It has been there for about 6 months and I have not had any problems with it. I even went through a huge rain storm a few weeks back and checked it when I got home and it was dry and cool. Here are a couple of picture.

John
Old 09-09-2001, 03:24 PM
curly
Instructor

Mounted mine on driverside firewall between powerbooster and outside wall. Move wiperwasher tank to get a drill in there. Can use nuts and screws, backside open at panel past vent screen of wiper box.

Little heat that far from headers. Had one year - no problems. :yesnod:
Old 09-09-2001, 04:12 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,069 Posts

The first thing I would do is take it back and get a quality unit from http://www.cranecams.com Changing plugins and the ruff rev limiter are old tech. My crane unit is on the passenger wiper area. If it fails all I have to do is pug a couple of jumpers together and it's out of the system and I'm on my way again.
Old 09-09-2001, 07:21 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Where to mount MSD 6al??? (gkull)

I ended up mounting it right underneath the expansion tank on the passenger side fenderwell. I put it sideways so the rev limiter access is easy to get to. Thanks for everyones suggestions.
However, my tach does not work now. I am using the output on the distrubutor. Do i have to use the output on the MSD box, or am i definitely going to need a Tach Adapter?
Thanks again
Chris
Old 09-09-2001, 08:20 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,069 Posts

When I had a 6AL my tach didn't work either. It seems to me I just looked over the directions a couple of more times and figured out how to make a change and it worked fine.
Old 09-09-2001, 08:45 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Re: Where to mount MSD 6al??? (69er)

I agree with 69er, that is where the factory put there TI amp. :cool:
Old 09-10-2001, 02:49 AM
fireball
Racer

Here's a pic of mine. There were already grommets in the firewall for the wiring and a little shaving made the rev limiter chip accessible. I have the Ecklers L-88 long hood which totally hides the MSD box. I'm not sure if that would be an issue for the stock hood.

Old 09-10-2001, 09:34 AM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Default Re: Where to mount MSD 6al??? (fireball)

According to MSD, its supposed to be in the coolest place possible and as far away from the radio as practical. I put mine in front of the radiator on the lower valance. You need to extend the wires that they give you in order to make it to the coil. It doesnt matter if water gets on it cause the box is sealed tight. I painted the box black to match everything else in the vicinity and mounted it on rubber cushions. The electronics inside run hot, so you better get a cool location for it...not inside the car , and not close to any heat source.

RR

Get notified of new replies

To Where to mount MSD 6al???

Old 09-10-2001, 04:31 PM
69er
Team Owner

Default Re: Where to mount MSD 6al??? (Rumpity Rump)

According to MSD, its supposed to be in the coolest place possible and as far away from the radio as practical. I put mine in front of the radiator on the lower valance. You need to extend the wires that they give you in order to make it to the coil. It doesnt matter if water gets on it cause the box is sealed tight.

RR
Actually the unit is not sealed tight.It has a water drain hole so water can drain.I believe the 6T is waterproof.
If it's not mounted on it's side or upsidedown water doesn't hurt it.
This was from a MSD rep who I talked to after my box installed behind the dash fried.
The rep said airflow is most important for these boxes.

[Modified by 69er, 2:32 PM 9/10/2001]
Old 09-10-2001, 05:54 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Default Re: Where to mount MSD 6al??? (69er)

Actually the one i have is the MSD6T..and yes, it is sealed tight. MSD calls it Humi-seal. Plus the internals are on special cushions to absorb vibrations, as it is intended for Circle Track cars. I elected to go this route and forfiet the rev limiter feature of the MSD6AL., to give it greater protection from water and vibrations for street use. If you mount the MSD6AL flat on the lower valance in front of the radiator you will not have to worry about water -i had a 6AL mounted there originally and used to get some water on the top from washing the car. Didnt affect it one bit, therefore, i referred to it as 'waterproof' in this flat position in front of the radiator.
Old 09-10-2001, 06:01 PM
69er
Team Owner

Default Re: Where to mount MSD 6al??? (Rumpity Rump)

RR I have mine mounted on the valance too.
If and when this 6A craps out the 6T will be the replacement.
A no worry unit.

Quick Reply: Where to mount MSD 6al???