C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R12 to R134 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 04:50 PM
ThunderMaker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R12 to R134 conversion

I'd like to convert to R134, Has anyone done this to a C3 system? How is it working? Does it work well? Are there any other considerations other than replacing the fittings ?
Old 08-17-2006, 04:58 PM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Click on this link and see what is involved. This very subject is discussed quite often and opinions vary,,,Good luck
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...highlight=r134
Peace...Moosie
Old 08-17-2006, 05:02 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Yes, it's been done.

Yes, there are other considerations. You should switch to the newer barrier hoses and replace all the o-rings with R134a-rated parts, and your VIR or POA system will need to be adjusted for the different properties of R134a.

There have been a number of recent threads on this topic. A search for R134a should turn up a wealth of information.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:05 PM
CraigandJanet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderMaker
I'd like to convert to R134, Has anyone done this to a C3 system? How is it working? Does it work well? Are there any other considerations other than replacing the fittings ?
My 82 was converted. New hoses and fittings, etc. By the book. It now cools very well. No problems whatsoever. We had some near 100 degree heat, and it was comfortable in the cabin at all times. They say it's not as efficient as R12 - at least for a converted unit, but I can't tell the difference. Comfortable is comfortable. I'm not running around sticking a thermometer in my vents

What's nice is that once converted you can basically service it yourself with off-the-shelf kits and R134. Over a period of time, it pretty much makes up for the cost of the conversion.

I know nothing about the "kit" conversions I have seen on the shelf at various stores for $35 or $40, but they sell 'em and said they don't get returns, so it might be worth a try.

Get notified of new replies

To R12 to R134 conversion

Quick Reply: R12 to R134 conversion