C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I remove the gauge cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 05:31 PM
pdege
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I remove the gauge cluster?

The goal is to install a bulb in the check engine light that was removed years ago. The 4 screws holding the cluster are out and the bottom is hitting the AC control box. Center console loose but can't move it enough to get the cluster out. What little gremlins are holding these pieces in???

.........or should I just pull out my hammer assortment!
Old 08-09-2006, 06:49 PM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If my memory servers me correctly, on my 79 there are two screws on top next to the A/C vents, two along the sides, and two underneath that you'll have to reach from underneath and just behind the front of the console. These last two are probably what's holding you back.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:04 PM
icanfixitforyou
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marshrat99
If my memory servers me correctly, on my 79 there are two screws on top next to the A/C vents, two along the sides, and two underneath that you'll have to reach from underneath and just behind the front of the console. These last two are probably what's holding you back.

Once all of the screws are out, tilt the top of the center gauge console out towards you, then reach around back and remove the center wiring connector from the circuit board, there are two tabs, one at top, one at bottom that you have to squeeze together to get the connector out.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:05 AM
79 Bullet
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

on my 79 I have to remove the side carpeted panel because there are two screws that hold the gauge cluster to the shifter panel. They screw upwards. Don't force it it will break!
Old 08-10-2006, 12:09 AM
gmviso
Intermediate

If your '79 is similar enough to my '77 you might just have to remove the side panel from the center floor console and be able to reach the bulb. It is in a socket which when turned about a quarter turn ccw both the socket and bulb come out. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:09 AM
Wuttin
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 79 Bullet
on my 79 I have to remove the side carpeted panel because there are two screws that hold the gauge cluster to the shifter panel. They screw upwards. Don't force it it will break!
Bingo...leave them out if you think you'll be going back in to replace the rest of the bulbs...you can get along without them
Old 08-11-2006, 08:19 AM
JustForFun
Burning Brakes

why would a 79 have a check engine light. He would have to have an 81 or 82 wouldnt he?

Get notified of new replies

To How do I remove the gauge cluster?

Quick Reply: How do I remove the gauge cluster?