C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Here

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 10:58 AM
75BrownC3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Here

I am new to this forum and I thought I would introduce myself to the crowd. I recently bought from my uncle who is the original owner a 75 Corvette with the L-48 engine and T-tops. He kept it in the garage for about 27 years covered. Every once in a while he would go out and start it up to let it run for a while. When I picked it up, it started right up. He lives about 675 miles from me so I had a covered trailer to haul it back.

Once I got it home, I had all the fluids changed, greased, new tires and a good look over. Everything checked out good except for a leaky brake calliper. I ended up changing both front callipers and brakes. The exhaust was leaking so I had the old exhaust replaced with straight pipes back to the mufflers. I gave it a tune up and I also had to replace the alternator and shocks. I would say that I have about $1200 into this car. Once all the work was done, I shined her up.

What I have left to do:

Replace front and rear bumper covers. The rear cover is badly cracked and the front one is getting a little wavey.

Rebuild the Q-Jet carberator.

Repaint the car since I have to replace the bumpers and some of the original paint is starting to fade in places.

Fix the hood since it sags a little in the middle causing the ends to raise by the windshield.

I think it sits a little low in the rear. I may have to replace the rear spring to get it to normal height.

Replace the emergency brake console since it is cracked.

Replace both seat backs since they are cracked.

Replace the carpeting since it is old and has stains.

Fix the radio since it just went out a couple of weeks ago. The fuse is alright.

I think I have a good car here and it needs just a bit of TLC before it is perfect.

Here are some pictures of the car. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:17 AM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome! Nice looking car and very clean, looks like a real nice find. I have a '75 as well.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:34 AM
RFJohnston
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks Great! Is that visor mirror one of the ones you can write on with a pencil in the white frosted areas to record mileage, etc? Man I haven't seen one of those since I was a kid, and that's a looooong time ago.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:40 AM
G dad
Burning Brakes

Yes another Brown One nice car man
Old 07-20-2006, 12:06 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

That is a good looking car. Good luck in getting all the other small items done to it that you listed.

kdf
Old 07-20-2006, 12:10 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Wooo Hoooooooo! Another Brownie!! Welcome!Wooo Hoooooooo! Another Brownie!! Welcome!Wooo Hoooooooo! Another Brownie!! Welcome!Wooo Hoooooooo! Another Brownie!! Welcome!Wooo Hoooooooo! Another Brownie!! Welcome!Wooo Hoooooooo! Another Brownie!! Welcome!Wooo Hoooooooo! Another Brownie!! Welcome!Wooo Hoooooooo! Another Brownie!! Welcome!

Old 07-20-2006, 12:27 PM
kevinator80
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! Nice car! Why paint it? Imo, it looks too nice in the pics to bother with paint.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:41 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 430 Likes on 308 Posts

That look like a mighty nice car you've gotten there. I have to agree, it doesn't look like it needs paint from the pictures. How many miles are on it? You know you are one of the lucky few to have bought from the original owner. Many people spend a lot of time trying to track the original owner down.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:54 PM
75BrownC3
Instructor

Thanks for all the compliments. There are places where you can see the paint fading from being waxed over the years. I figure that since it has the old type of paint on the car, the new paint won't be able to blend in very well. Besides you can see some places where it is getting some cracks from the stress. I figure if I am going to replace the bumper covers, why not do it right. My wifes cousin owns a body shop and gives me the family discount program. I want to put a little more metallic in the paint this time and probably an extra coat of clear to give it more depth and shine.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:08 PM
75BrownC3
Instructor

Forgot to mention that it has a little less than 46,000 miles. The car is also all numbers matching.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:23 PM
guppie
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Congrats on your purchase and Welcome to the forum
Old 07-20-2006, 05:51 PM
steelblu75
Intermediate

Default Another 75

Hi There! Nice to see another 75. Also noted that you're in the vicinity. Looks like you are out near Jeff City. Welcome aboard!
Bruce
Old 07-20-2006, 06:21 PM
jeffsab
Advanced

Cool period color.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

You've got a gem there. You have a place in our hearts since you shared pics with us on your intro post...we love that! My vette is just twisting over 50K...so I know what you've got there. Do yourself a favor and do an inspection of the front control arm bushings...I could see through mine. Hey! You might still have a build sheet stuck onto the top of your fuel tank!

Is that radio a GM? It looks like is has an 8-track or cassette?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:34 PM
Mike1966
Intermediate

Great looking car. I am new here as well. I would lose the mud flaps and drive the s**t out of it just like it is.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:23 AM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

That is a nice looking car. And sounds like it won't be long before you have her back in great shape and enjoying it.

All these guys that are commenting about their brown cars , and 75's to boot, makes me wish I would have re-painted mine brown back when I restored mine. My '75 was originally Medium Saddle when it came from the factory. Second owner re-painted her Re-sale Red and I repainted her Red again in 2000. Seriously thought about going back to the original color.

Good luck on your project. Most of those things you are fixing are pretty common projects for the C3. Reminds me of when I bought mine and started many of those same repairs.

Old 07-21-2006, 10:47 AM
75ZZ4
Cruising

Great looking car. Low miles. Nice survivor car.
I like it the way it is.

Get notified of new replies

To New Here

Old 07-21-2006, 10:49 AM
75BrownC3
Instructor

Thanks again for all the nice compliments. I live in the Hermann area and I work in Riverport for all you St. Louis people.

RFJohnson: I think is what that mirror is.

Rockn-Roll: That is just an AM/FM mono radio. I have a neighbor who works on electronics and maybe he can fix it for me. How hard is it to get that radio out?

HawkIVette: I think you should go back to the original color. In my opinion, I think they are worth more if the car was left the way it was originally built. That is what I am trying to do on mine. I am trying to keep as much original as possible. I have noticed at car shows recently, that people are starting to get a little tired of red. They are becoming more interested in other colors.

Mike1966: I plan on losing those mud flaps when I repaint the car. I am going to replace them with black ones to help keep the rocks from chipping the new paint.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:07 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 75BrownC3
Rockn-Roll: That is just an AM/FM mono radio. I have a neighbor who works on electronics and maybe he can fix it for me. How hard is it to get that radio out?
I'm not totally sure how to get the OEM radio out since mine already came with it removed. Try to get to it from the sides first before attempting to remove the center dash console...take things slowly so you remember how to put it back together...I also take some video of how things were before I start taking things apart.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffsab
Cool period color.

Perfect way to say it!

It's really great to see this color combination again. It's a refreshing change from red, blue or black, red, blue or black, red, blue or black, red, blue or black, red, blue or black, red, blue or black..........

Welcome aboard!

Quick Reply: New Here