C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street & Slalom Suspension System

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 09:50 PM
79Shark
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Street & Slalom Suspension System

My '79 (that I've had and been restoring for 10 years) has a base suspension that I've decided to work on because I'm not really happy with the way the car handles. I was looking in a Vette Brakes & Products Inc. catalog at the Street & Slalom Suspension System and wanted to know what your opinions are of that suspension. I'm not going slalom racing, I just want my car to handle better on the stock 255/60-15 tires! Do you think adding this suspension system will make my vette handle like, or at least as good (or maybe better!) than the '79 Trans Am with the WS-6 pkg suspension I once had? I have always thought that my old Trans Am handled with so much more precision and confidence.
Old 09-04-2001, 12:42 AM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Street & Slalom Suspension System (79Shark)

I recently replaced 99% of my FE7 and it was like night and day. The old rubber bushings were cracked and falling apart leaving lots of slop in the rear end. New springs, shocks, smart struts and loads of other parts were well worth the effort for me. I will replace my 225/70-15s with 255/60-15s next.
Old 09-04-2001, 01:11 AM
xfactor974
Pro

Default Re: Street & Slalom Suspension System (Cajun75)

I think it would be a good idea to go with the Street and Slalom suspension. It'll give you the fiberglass rear spring, and good shocks. I also think it comes with the front monospring conversion also. A nice addition. You'll save weight and handle much better. I would also consider getting the HyperFlex Kit for your car for a full suspension rebuild. My brother did it on his Camaro and it was a world of a difference. Very tight, but not hard or obnoxious.
Old 09-04-2001, 01:59 AM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Street & Slalom Suspension System (xfactor974)

'79 Shark,

I have that system installed on my '69 BB ragtop (no front mono-spring though). I can't give you a before and after comparison as previous owner had it done. Also, he pretty much re-did all the other suspension parts as well.

Overall, the car feels very "tight". Not too harsh (he went with rubber instead of poly bushings), but stiff enough to let you know something isn't stock under the car. Also, with the new coil springs the kit includes it would appear the car is lower in the wheelwell by about 1 or 2 inches.

It's not cheap or an easy install, but it's worth it, in my opinion.

Good Luck, mark :chevy
Old 09-04-2001, 08:42 AM
C3-R
Racer

Default Re: Street & Slalom Suspension System (marky mark)

I converted my car to the Street & Slalom kit this past spring. It has probably been the best single (if you can call it that) improvement I've made to the car.
Old 09-04-2001, 09:01 AM
GWHITE75
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

I put the entire VP suspension package on my 75 back in 94, along with some 255/50-16 BFG ZR1 tires. One of the biggest improvements is your tire selection.

The kit tightened up the suspension and the front monospring is adjustable, as are the swaybars. It kind of reminds me of a refined Gymkhana suspension that came on the 1980's vintage cars.

I did break the 320LB rear spring and replaced it with a TRW spring that seems to give me a little better ride. The kit will lower your car a little, but I have not had a problem with ground clearance, as long as I travel streets I am familiar with.
Old 09-04-2001, 04:53 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

I've had this kit on since spring 2000 and have been very pleased with the results. I also replaced all my bushings with poly's while I was there because the originals were either very cracked or non-existant. The car rides decent without being too harsh, & corners very flat with little to no body lean. The kit isn't too hard to install so long as your old one comes out without giving you many headaches ;) .

You can see the stance of my car with this kit from the pics. I have the coil springs that came in the kit.

Get notified of new replies

To Street & Slalom Suspension System

Quick Reply: Street & Slalom Suspension System