C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braking woes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 09:58 AM
craigbaker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Braking woes...

Hi all,

Following on from my previous post....bought a '75 vette as a weekend toy and maybe something to get to work in now and again. Anyway, I noticed the brakes pulled to one side when I braked. Last night, was driving the car home the brakes completely gave up ! I managed to get home in one piece, thank god, but would prefer not to have to experience that in an automatic ever again!

Anyway, took a look at the master cylinder and one of the compartments looked fine (i.e. nearly full) whilst the other was empty. I filled up and and pumped the brakes a few times but it's just made a wheezing sound, and alas the brakes still aren't working.
Any ideas? I'd fix it myself if it was anything other than the brakes. I just hope that one of the hoses has expired, and other than that, new hoses, bleeding and new pads would get it done.

thanks Craig
Old 07-17-2006, 10:30 AM
lil75vette
Racer

i am thinking one of your calipers went out. Can you see where it is dripping from? ... now that air has been sucked through the master cylindar it will take some time to bleed them out
Old 07-17-2006, 11:22 AM
jeckel
Instructor

Originally Posted by lil75vette
i am thinking one of your calipers went out. Can you see where it is dripping from? ... now that air has been sucked through the master cylindar it will take some time to bleed them out
Old 07-17-2006, 12:03 PM
craigbaker
Intermediate

Thanks guys - I've just bought the car and was hoping to have a little bit more of a honeymoon period before a near death experience!!

Whatever it is I hope this isn't going to be an expensive job.....

Craig
Old 07-17-2006, 12:23 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

its probably a burst rubber hose...if youcan hear it "wheezing"...just look for the puddles and it will lead youto the problem and yes its time for some brake work....which half of the MC was empty?
Old 07-17-2006, 12:47 PM
craigbaker
Intermediate

hi bob,

It was the near side (closest to the windscreen). I filled up and pumped the brakes when I got back - the other side (which was full) bubbled up but the other one didn't. I reckon you might be right as previously the car was pulling to one side, possibly symptomatic of a blocked hose. I'll try the cheapest option first - bleeding, new hoses then see if the brakes respond.

Thanks

Craig
Old 07-17-2006, 04:28 PM
jeckel
Instructor

if it was the rear part of the MC that was dry, you are looking at the rear brakes with the problem. I suggest looking around the hoses and calipers to see if any fluid is around them b4 just changing things around. this way you know what the problem is instead of guessing. just a suggestion.

jim

Get notified of new replies

To Braking woes...

Quick Reply: Braking woes...