C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 rear brake rivets

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 02:22 PM
davewsr
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 rear brake rivets

I see lots of mention of drilling out rivets to remove the rear brake discs,but I cannot positively identify where these rivets are in order to do so. Can someone tell me how to know what to drill?
The only possibility I see is two flat areas about 3/8" deep located within the lug circle. They look more like the face of the axle then rivets; but I imagine this is them. Just do not want to accidentaly drill hole in the axle face.

Can anyone give me a way to know where these rivets are. Of course the manual is useless. Also what diameter drill?

Thanks
Old 07-15-2006, 02:26 PM
JBB
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by davewsr
I see lots of mention of drilling out rivets to remove the rear brake discs,but I cannot positively identify where these rivets are in order to do so. Can someone tell me how to know what to drill?
The only possibility I see is two flat areas about 3/8" deep located within the lug circle. They look more like the face of the axle then rivets; but I imagine this is them. Just do not want to accidentaly drill hole in the axle face.

Can anyone give me a way to know where these rivets are. Of course the manual is useless. Also what diameter drill?

Thanks

They look like the back of a stud. Do you really need to resurface?
Old 07-15-2006, 02:55 PM
revel_inmy_loss
Instructor

they will only have rivets if they are the original rotors and have never been off... most likely they are just stuck or rusted on
Old 07-15-2006, 05:34 PM
82XFire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default BFH time!

Give em whack with the old rubber mallet! The rivets are pretty prominent if they are there...
Old 07-15-2006, 06:25 PM
mirrorfinishman
Instructor

There will be 5 rivets on each rear rotor. They will equally spaced in-between the 5 wheel lugs. Each rivet head will be about 1/8 thick(above the rotor) with a diameter of about 1/2 inch.

In order to begin the drilling process, you should think about starting out with about an 1/8 inch drill bit and then work your way up to the inside diameter of the rivet. Such as; 1/8, 1/4, 5/16 etc.

You will know when you have reached the inside diameter when you use a drill that is large enough(5/16", 3/8") to drill off the head of the rivet. At that point you should be able to knock thru the remaining portion of the rivet.

It is not a difficult process. It just takes time because you need to start out with a small drill bit and then work your way up in size. And of course, there are 5 rivets per ech rear wheel. So that means you will be drilling out a total of ten rivets.

Just take your time and once you get the first rivet out the remianing ones will get that much more easy.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:26 PM
mirrorfinishman
Instructor

There will be 5 rivets on each rear rotor. They will equally spaced in-between the 5 wheel lugs. Each rivet head will be about 1/8 thick(above the rotor) with a diameter of about 1/2 inch.

In order to begin the drilling process, you should think about starting out with about an 1/8 inch drill bit and then work your way up to the inside diameter of the rivet. Such as; 1/8, 1/4, 5/16 etc.

You will know when you have reached the inside diameter when you use a drill that is large enough(5/16", 3/8") to drill off the head of the rivet. At that point you should be able to knock thru the remaining portion of the rivet.

It is not a difficult process. It just takes time because you need to start out with a small drill bit and then work your way up in size. And of course, there are 5 rivets per ech rear wheel. So that means you will be drilling out a total of ten rivets.

Just take your time and once you get the first rivet out the remianing ones will get that much more easy.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:26 PM
davewsr
Cruising

thanks folks
Siounds like mine have already been removed and I just need a bigger hammer

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 rear brake rivets

Quick Reply: 1980 rear brake rivets