C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new pics-rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 11:51 AM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new pics-rear suspension

Carrera coil overs, Frankland quick change-14 gear changes, custom half shafts, custom carrier, etc. etc........................
Old 07-14-2006, 11:52 AM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

oopps....... http://community.webshots.com/user/david788
Old 07-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow nice a quickchange IRS. I see you have the compelte greenwood double a arm suspension also. Nice! Those telescopic axles are just the thing I was thinking about doing, since i'm using a C4 dana44 which is similar to the vipers I was thinking about using shortened viper axles.

Last edited by Twin_Turbo; 07-15-2006 at 05:09 AM.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:50 PM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

thats one sick vette,but in a good way
really mean looking
Old 07-14-2006, 04:59 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Bring that thing to Road America for the VSCDA Fall Festival (September) YOU will have NOTHING BUT FUN!! I always do!!
....redvetracr
Old 07-14-2006, 05:15 PM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You gave TT a bo_er
Old 07-14-2006, 05:50 PM
Tight End 84
Advanced

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
Wow nice a quickchange IRS. I see you have the compelte gulstrand double a arm suspension also. Nice! Those telescopic axles are just the thing I was thinking about doing, since i'm using a C4 dana44 which is similar to the vipers I was thinking about using shortened viper axles.
Ahh so thats what the guldstrand 5 link looks like installed.

Edit: oops

Last edited by Tight End 84; 07-14-2006 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:57 PM
BigBlockk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
Wow nice a quickchange IRS. I see you have the compelte gulstrand double a arm suspension also. Nice! Those telescopic axles are just the thing I was thinking about doing, since i'm using a C4 dana44 which is similar to the vipers I was thinking about using shortened viper axles.
TT I have a question about those axles. Are they just a male and female splined section slipped together with some grease on the sliding surfaces? It would seam to me that in a high load situation (like your car coming out of a tight corner with you standing on the throttle and the tires hooked up) the splines would tend to bind up. Particularly with the outside axle. I was just wondering how these things are made and if they do bind.

Thanks.

BigBlockk

Later.....
Old 07-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Well...not a boner but it's not like you see this stuff everyday

It's not a guldstrand 5 bar, that looks like a stock suspension with 2 trailing rods and 2 lower camber rods (the setting of the forward lower camber rod in relation to the rear sets the toe) this is a greenwood double a arm.
Bigblockk...they really are just male and female splined parts.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:24 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tight End 84
Thats not the Guldstrand 5 link. This is the Guldstrand 5 link.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

it's this: SCHWIIIINNNNGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-14-2006, 07:45 PM
supervette2
Instructor

okay dumb question but whats so great about it. I dont mean this in a nasty way but edumacate me.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:32 PM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

That use to be a vette frame....TT you continue to scare me.

I'd like to hear any pro's and con's on this setup also.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:32 PM
BigBlockk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by supervette2
okay dumb question but whats so great about it. I dont mean this in a nasty way but edumacate me.
The Greenwood rear suspension was the most sophisticated ever put in a C3. The entire car setup revolved around that rear suspension. The stock suspension has some serious shortcomings. The Greenwood suspension was the only one that really solved all of them. It is the grandfather of the C5 and C6 rears.

TT, where do you get those pictures? I've been looking for shots like that. I've seen the illustration but not the car construction ones. I never could understand how they could get all of that upper A arm between the frame rail and the wheel. That is how it looks in the illustration. Now I see that along with the frame rail offset the inner attaching points are farther offset to the center of the car. Now seeing these pictures I have to say to myself "well STUPID if you had a little imagination you could have figured that much out". Sometimes I don't know how I get through the day. Oh well!

Also TT, about those axles. I know that Norval has the stud axles floating on his car but I was wondering about the Tom's Differential IRS that is NHRA certified to 7.50. It has a single member that runs from the differential to the bearing carrier just behind the halfshaft. It appears to take the place of the halfshaft as a suspension member. If this member were made the correct length, I believe you wouldn't need to float the stub axles.

Like I said in my other post, it would seam to me that under high loadings the splines could bind and prevent the suspension from moving or more importantly bind and then release at the most inopportune time. I don't know, maybe I'm worrying about nothing.

Wouldn't be the first time.

BigBlockk

Later.....
Old 07-14-2006, 10:28 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Default rear suspension

This car originally had a greenwood set up but was replaced in 1977 due to rear suspension failures contributing to a season ending crash. The greenwood rear ends of that period were ahead of there time but had flaws. Bob Krekel who built and raced this car was an engineer, it is based off the Greenwood but is heavier duty, its a one of a kind which is always a joy if you need to change or replace anything, I had my hand slapped badly when I changed out some bolts etc, Bob had all specially made, most have special tapers and are alloy, it sticks to the road like a brick. I can provide more photos if interested. Unfortunately this is a case where I understand what Bob did and why, but at times his engineer speak is over my head. The rear suspension always draws WOWS
Old 07-14-2006, 10:41 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Sorry, Bob was a CanAm racer they built or rebuilt everything themselves as most every thing on those cars were custom. The carriers are custom and Frankland rears cage includes top mounts which I'll have to pull up some older body off pics to show. I'll catch hell on this but the only things actually Corvette on this car are an acid dipped frame, door handles, windshield, rear window trim molding, front A arms, and rear bumper/spoiler, and if I remember correctly a 68 vette steering column. If you break it, you make it.................
Old 07-15-2006, 04:14 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

BigBlockk. I don't know what the toms stuff looks like...I;lllhave to check it out. There's not that much load on the splines, only the driving forces and the same system works fine on the transmission of a live axle (floating trans yoke)

I'm not too crazy about floating the stub axles either, that's why I was looking at the viper axles. They are too long but shortening them is a breeze and they are set up for 1350 joints (the older types, later cars have cv joints)

I got the pics from the greenwood pages, the chassis pics are under race cars -> customer cars and then under #3 "none"

This is the whole thing that got me thinking about doing the double a arms, it's just a much better setup than the 5 bar even if you add a 6 link type upper strut arrangement to it. My system will be a tad different, the toe control is in the lower arm, not the upper so I don't have to notch the frame like that and it also allows the mounting of the diagonal rods (that run to the pinion area) to be mounted on the lower amr so that it's always in the same plane. That saves from having to machine intricate angled clevises so that they hinge in the same line (like what greenwood did) and I can mount the shocks directly on the upright instead of the lower arm, makes it more responsive and lessens the load on the rod ends.

Widebody that sounds like my kind of car..my list of original parts included only a modified frame, 2 doors, the door glass and 2 mirrors, the rear bearing carriers and front spindles and the halfshafts. The rest is non stock. Dang I love your car

Last edited by Twin_Turbo; 07-15-2006 at 05:13 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To new pics-rear suspension

Old 07-15-2006, 04:50 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

BTW, Widebody..looking at the pics of your car (can't stop drooling over it LOL ) Don't you have the "wrong" headlight covers? All the wide bodies I've seen had either no exposed lights or these:
Old 07-15-2006, 05:10 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tight End 84

Edit: oops
Now I see where the guldstrand comment came from, made an error, I edited my reply to say greenwood

Last edited by Twin_Turbo; 07-15-2006 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:22 AM
comp
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 68 NJConv 454
You gave TT a bo_er

Quick Reply: new pics-rear suspension