C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Clutch problem, I think...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 07:20 AM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Location: Wilmington DE, Drive it like you stole it, 68 327 4 speed coupe
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by halseyb007
I partially purchased the car to learn more about working on them. This does seem to be a very large project for a novice like myself, though I have to say the experience is priceless. Lets put it this way, if I ever have to do this again, I'll be paying someone, but for now, as much as I may seem to complain about the painstaking time to remove three bolts..., I'm enjoying it and learning a ton!! Plus, it will make me feel that much better about driving it, knowing that I put the time and energy into keeping it running well. Cheers!

next time just yank the whole motor tranny combo

then you can paint everything up and slip it right back in
j/k

you've done well getting that far, and if you want to learns you got the best school right there. a few things to think about while its apart

- replace pilot bushing
- new throwout bearing along with pressure plate and clutch
check the flywheel see if there is excessive wear or scoring on the surface
- if you go with aftermarket clutch, you may/ will need to get an adjustable pivot ball as well depending on the set up
- rear seal on the Muncie, and change out the fluids
- bushings on shifter if worn

keep from having to go back in there again

cheers
tim
Old 08-09-2006, 07:54 PM
halseyb007
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Again- Yesterday I got started on removing the clutch. I had to get my brothers help to loosen the bolts because the engine would turn over every time I tried to loosen them on my own. We finally got it, tell me when you can see the problem... ;-)

So I guess that explains the problem I had...

I ordered a new clutch kit for the vette through Corvette Central, the 11" diameter 26 spline kit. Just got an email saying they were out of stock and it wouldn't be delivered until the 22nd of the month- so now I'm depressed that I have to wait- and try to remember how to put everything back together...
Old 08-10-2006, 08:20 AM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Location: Wilmington DE, Drive it like you stole it, 68 327 4 speed coupe
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Again- Yesterday I got started on removing the clutch. I had to get my brothers help to loosen the bolts because the engine would turn over every time I tried to loosen them on my own. We finally got it, tell me when you can see the problem... ;-)

So I guess that explains the problem I had...

I ordered a new clutch kit for the vette through Corvette Central, the 11" diameter 26 spline kit. Just got an email saying they were out of stock and it wouldn't be delivered until the 22nd of the month- so now I'm depressed that I have to wait- and try to remember how to put everything back together...
dont forget summit, jc whitney and jegs...

they ship in 24 hours
Old 08-15-2006, 01:18 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That disk doesn't look used enough...the spring must have got bored.

You could upgrade to a Centerforce Dual Friction like I did...fits right in there...they say to use their fork and bearing and stuff, but I used stock fork and bearing and it works great. I'll bet a local performance shop has one in stock, or can get it to you in 3 days.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:02 AM
halseyb007
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got the new clutch kit- put the disc in. I know that I put the clutch disc in correctly, such that the side that faces the flywheel is facing the flywheel. But, how important is it that the disc is rotated a certain way compared to the flywheel or even the pressure plate be mounted a certain way- I just put everything together without any rotational type alignment. One book I had said that there would be an X or an O or a white mark indicated where they should line up, but I didn't see any thing like that... Is this going to make a difference?

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Clutch problem, I think...?