C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer cable removal/installation

Old 07-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Speedometer cable removal/installation

My speedometer cable needs to be replaced on my 79. (original was burned by the exhaust pipe and the cap that screws onto the transmission end was crushed beyond straightenig) Is it necessary to remove the whole dash pad or just the instrument cluster to disconnect the cable from the speedometer? My vehicle does not have cruise cotrol, automatic transmission. How much of a pita is it to remove/install? Do I just lubricate the housing which the cable atatches to the speedometer and transmission end? (I also have a plastic speedo gear for the correct model year)

Last edited by Oldguard 7; 07-04-2006 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldguard 7
Is it necessary to remove the whole dash pad or just the instrument cluster to disconnect the cable from the speedometer?
I can only speak for 1973 model
Theres no need to remove the dash pad or the cluster.
There is a little clip you push in which releases the cable on the speedo end.
The trans end is a thread on deal
Be sure to buy some cable lube.
Again, Im refering to 73'
Old 07-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Onit
Forgot to mention the vehicle is a 79, cable only runs from speedo to transmission. Will edit post.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 257 Likes on 209 Posts

Just replaced mine last week (78'). Easy way is to drop the steering column (just loosen the 2 bolts under the dash and the 2 on the firewall). remove the screws holding the speedo/tach cluster to the dash pad. Pull the cluster out just far enough to get your hand in to depress the clip holding the cable to the speedo head. Pull the cable through the grommet from the engine side. Reverse to install new cable. I remove the seat as well as it makes getting at/under the dash easy (only 4 bolts holding it in).
The following users liked this post:
Primoz (08-26-2021)
Old 07-04-2006, 08:37 PM
LYLE
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Remove the seat and get under the dash with a screwdriver and a light and push the release lever. At the same time have a helper pull on the cable from under the hood. Reverse to install and all you need to do is guide it on to the speedometer.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:39 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Bob Onit
same works for a '79.. no need to remove the seats or cluster...
Old 07-05-2006, 01:19 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

All I did was remove the ductwork from under the dash over to the driver's side lower vent, no tools needed for that. Then the cable was not hard to get to, but I couldn't get 2 hands up under the dash. I pushed the clip on the speedo with one hand while pulling the cable back with a very long set of pliers holding the cable. Pay particular attention to how it is routed under the dash so the new one goes back the same way. You'll have to remove the firewall grommed which will most likely break, but routing through the engine compartment and under the car was very easy. I just didi this the other week, so feel free to PM me with any other questions.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:28 PM
ccs96
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor 06-'07

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
All I did was remove the ductwork from under the dash over to the driver's side lower vent, no tools needed for that. Then the cable was not hard to get to, but I couldn't get 2 hands up under the dash. I pushed the clip on the speedo with one hand while pulling the cable back with a very long set of pliers holding the cable. Pay particular attention to how it is routed under the dash so the new one goes back the same way. You'll have to remove the firewall grommed which will most likely break, but routing through the engine compartment and under the car was very easy. I just didi this the other week, so feel free to PM me with any other questions.
and mine is a 76, I also sleeved my cable with FireSleeve that I sell to industrial accounts. That way if it contacts the exhaust again it will not be burned and melted.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
All I did was remove the ductwork from under the dash over to the driver's side lower vent, no tools needed for that. Then the cable was not hard to get to, but I couldn't get 2 hands up under the dash. I pushed the clip on the speedo with one hand while pulling the cable back with a very long set of pliers
I also had to remove the plastic duct work then I grabbed the cable with my right hand, used my thumb to push in the clip while pulling the cable out
Yes, it is easier with a helper to pull on the cable while you are releasing the clip.
On re-installation you may have to turn the square end of the cable a tiny bit to get it to line up with the hole on the on the inside of the speedo.

I would route the cable, hook up to the speedometer first then hook it up to the transmission last.

Get notified of new replies

To Speedometer cable removal/installation

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speedometer cable removal/installation