C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adjust clutch pedal height?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 06:14 PM
mike74v
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjust clutch pedal height?

Does anyone know if there is an adjustment for the pedal height? It's way up above the brake pedal and close to touching the bottom of the dashboard. The Clutch works fine but the Rod is adjusted out almost to the end. Or does this just mean the clutch or pressure plate is getting old?
Thanks for any input.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:46 PM
luerja
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there is an adjustment just under the master cylinder on the inside of the firewall. it usally has two 9/16 bolts on either side of an arm that leads a rod that pivots.

Sorry i don't know all tha names of the parts but you can have someone push the clutch pedal and you'll see the rod i am talking about...

do not adjust you clutch so the pedal is all the way up because you will be doing what as know as preloading the clutch, which is the same thing as resting your foot on the clutch pedal while driving.

hope this helps,
Jim
Old 07-04-2006, 08:51 PM
694speed350
Race Director

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

the clutch pedal height should be above the brake pedal.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:26 PM
StickShiftCorvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by 694speed350
the clutch pedal height should be above the brake pedal.
Not necessarily. The pedals are exactly the same height if you have manual brakes...
Old 07-04-2006, 09:43 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

There is no "up" adjustment, only a rubber bumper on the bracket to prevent chatter. The rod going thru the firewall with the threads and nuts adjusts the free play/engagement point.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:52 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto Big G. Sounds like the little rubber bumper on your pedal hanger may be missing, which is allowing the clutch pedal to swing aft/up further than normal.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:07 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had this exact problem on my 68 until someone on this forum told me how to fix it.
I have power brakes and the clutch pedal should be slightly higher than the brake pedal according to the AIM. Mine was almost touching the dash pad.
My problem was that the pedal stop that is under the dash and has a rubber pad on it was slightly bent and torn partly loose. You have to get your head under the dash to see it. When I bent it back into shape and put JB Weld on both sides to keep it from tearing through anymore, suddenly I could adjust my pedal as per the procedure in the AIM and it ended up being exactly where it should. I lived with this problem from 1972 until last year when someone on the Forum told me how to fix it.
I never knew about the stop bracket before.
After you get the bracket where it should be, yours may be bent or missing, then you can adjust the free play in the clutch with the nuts on the rod to get it exactly where you want it.
Kurt
Old 07-05-2006, 12:32 PM
mike74v
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone, I'll take a closer look at it today. My rubber stop seemed to be in place but maybe it's bent too far back and, luerga, I'll look for some bolts up in there also.
Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To adjust clutch pedal height?

Quick Reply: adjust clutch pedal height?