C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are these heads

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are these heads

Probably the goofiest ad

"ALUMINUM HEADS ARE DOWNRIGHT IMPRESSIVE ON AN ENGINE, (BRAGGING RIGHTS ARE ESTABLISHED)"

but aside from that rot what do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-C...01677269QQrdZ1
Old 07-04-2006, 03:13 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cali,68,L-79
Probably the goofiest ad

"ALUMINUM HEADS ARE DOWNRIGHT IMPRESSIVE ON AN ENGINE, (BRAGGING RIGHTS ARE ESTABLISHED)"

but aside from that rot what do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-C...01677269QQrdZ1
Without even wasting the click on any ebay ad, David I can tell you that I sure wish I'd spent the $$ on aluminum heads when I built my stroker!

I put all kinds of money into cast iron GM heads with porting, polishing, and stainless valves. Couple hundred bux more and I could have had bigger valves, no need for porting and also would have wound up with my target goal of 300+ HP to the ground.

I came up 35 HP short of my goal and I attribute it all to heads - the rest of my engine came out just the way I want.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:44 PM
djgrelli
Racer

I bought a set of these heads for my son's 23 T-Bucket. It has a 327 vette engine in it. The heads are well worth the money but beware of the large intake runners. The heads would not seal against our tunnel ram (Edelbrock) manifold. They also had a clearance problem with dome top pistons. They hit on the very tip of the heart shape combustions chamber. I wound up selling them to a fellow forum member. Pay the extra money and get a set of Edelbrock Peformers Heads. That's what we did. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:51 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

I can buy those same aisian heads wholesale, complete but disassembled and without "adjustable" plates... I'm tellin' you, his ebay price of $786.50 assembled & delivered w/ adjustable plates ain't too bad ... he ain't makin' alotta $ on 'em. I have seen similar complete assembled Dart Pro 1 Alum on ebay in $750-$850 range. A set of equivalent budget heads in Brodix (IK200) will set you back at least $200 more. Aluminum itself don't make power ... head design does ... most newer heads (including those ebay ones) have an improved combustion chamber design. Ebay 64cc/200cc Alum would definately be a performance upgrade from OE post-70 76cc/165cc Iron.

*edit* Those ebay heads also manufactured w/ 190cc runner ... ask the seller for availability ... smaller usually better for street 350. Anytime you have the heartshape chambers, domes/popups may be a problem ... dish/flattops no problem.

Last edited by jackson; 07-04-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:54 PM
CAGregK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David,

Welcome back!

If you want a high rpm screamer then these heads are fine. 327 with 200CC intake runners will be all top end and you'll have less power putting around town. Torque is better for the street so I'd suggest a 383 or 406 and then use these heads or 195CC AFR's with a 224/230@.050 duration cam and intake to match.

Greg
Old 07-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

All ProComp casting is done in China. Assembly & CNC work is done in California. I couldn't find out where the valve train components are machined. I looked into their CNC 210cc heads for my 406 and found suspect flow #'s published.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Great price....but suspect reliability & quality. I was skeptical to the point of purchasing elsewhere.
Eddie
Old 07-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jackson
. Aluminum itself don't make power ... head design does ... .
Your absolutly correct. But substandard casting, alloys, & foundry techniques does cause cracking, warpage, and fitment problems.
Same issues with CAT performace products. Most inexpensive stuff
out there....but I won't chance grenading my motor because of a cheap bearing or substandard heat treatment process.
Just my .02 thrown in for discussion purposes...
Eddie
Old 07-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

they look exactly like my superflow heads. Probably the same castings.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:54 PM
MCMLXIX
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

"Very few shops offer this level of presicion work." Priceless
Old 07-05-2006, 01:20 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Edzred72
All ProComp casting is done in China. Assembly & CNC work is done in California. I couldn't find out where the valve train components are machined. I looked into their CNC 210cc heads for my 406 and found suspect flow #'s published.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Great price....but suspect reliability & quality. I was skeptical to the point of purchasing elsewhere.
Eddie
Those same heads are sold under a variety of brands. My wholesaler sells em bare or with a choice of known valvetrain parts. They sell em assembled too ... but theirs are assembled in KY. I've handled & inspected bare heads ... they look pretty darned good. Published flow numbers don't mean a whole lot regardless who's making the claim ... I have my own superflow 110 bench ... I can make it read just about whatever I want it to ... so can any other competent operator. I'm leary of asian parts too, but I don't dismiss them all simply because of origin. I have worked on & flown two red chinese fighter trainers w/ radial ... very good motors ... whole plane is very high quality ... all of it mainland (communist-red) china. Been though top of one motor ... through the other entirely. I also get very good service from asian cranks & rods in sbc circle track motors. On the other hand ... we've learned to expect only excellence from the Swiss, right? I worked in top management for a Swiss auto parts mfg with 1'st class capability ... but boy did I see some pure tee crap from them ... along with a Swiss attitude that accepted it. So, anyone with capability can make good stuff ... or junk if they so choose ... asians, europeans or americans. Xenophobes brace yourselves ... looks like GM seeking meaningful alliance with Nissan and/or Renault. Barring some global calamity, and within 5 years, americans will be lining up to purchase new brands of red chinese mfg cars & trucks.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:38 AM
mbeeman350
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'09

I have bought other parts from this Ebay seller "Skipwhite". Good service and fast shipping.
Mark
Old 07-05-2006, 09:55 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,895 Likes on 923 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Check this months Chevy Hi Performance. They did a test on a bunch of heads and I believe those were one of them. They are sold under several names.

I don't think they made the same power as the normal guys....but the price looks great. Just beware...you get what you pay for with heads.

I usually handle this stuff like this. Let's say a few months down the road when all the sticker shock is off for all the stuff you've been buying...and one day you look in yor wallet and you find an extra $200 laying there that no one else is screaming for....then you start thinking about how an extra 30hp or so would be nice and what in the world could you buy for $200 that would give that much power and always be there...never go away. And then I start worrying about the lighter weight of the heads...has to mean less aluminum...then I think about having to sell them to someone else and they won't even give me half of what I paid for them because they know all of this stuff too.

I save a little longer and get the better part!

JIM
JIM
Old 07-05-2006, 10:37 AM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Default HEads from China?

I have to agree with 427 HotRod! Save up some money, spend your $$ on good heads. Not to be a complete redneck, but we drive an American car, a Corvette no less and they need good American parts. I really go to pains to get quality parts. Do it right the first time. Case in point and I putting together the parts for my third brake job in 18 months. I should hvae bought the good parts the first time!

carbster
Old 07-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
Check this months Chevy Hi Performance. They did a test on a bunch of heads and I believe those were one of them. They are sold under several names.

I don't think they made the same power as the normal guys....but the price looks great. Just beware...you get what you pay for with heads.

I usually handle this stuff like this. Let's say a few months down the road when all the sticker shock is off for all the stuff you've been buying...and one day you look in yor wallet and you find an extra $200 laying there that no one else is screaming for....then you start thinking about how an extra 30hp or so would be nice and what in the world could you buy for $200 that would give that much power and always be there...never go away. And then I start worrying about the lighter weight of the heads...has to mean less aluminum...then I think about having to sell them to someone else and they won't even give me half of what I paid for them because they know all of this stuff too.

I save a little longer and get the better part!

JIM
JIM
Point made and received. Thanks

David

Get notified of new replies

To How are these heads

Quick Reply: How are these heads