C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header installation on 1979

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Gary B.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header installation on 1979

I am going to install new tube headers on my 1979 this week end. The instructions that came with the headers, (Dynomax), says the car need to be at least 2 ft in the air. The can has power steering with a/c. Can I install the headers from the top? Any suggestions would be a great help. Gary B.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may be able to install them from the top but usually the clearance is needed because the header often has to go in with the collector pointing down and near the floor before it can be rotated into position.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:23 PM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

You'll need to install them from underneath. The maximum height of most floor jacks should be sufficient and support the car with jack stands. Dynomax fit very well with no clearance problems, if you have a 4 speed you'll need to remove the clutch cross shaft to get the left side in place. Leave the headers wrapped in plastic while you fit them into position to keep from scratching them against the frame. Make sure you have high temp ignition wires and a good quality loom to hold the wires in place. Good luck with your project...
Old 06-27-2006, 02:04 PM
SLine78
Racer

Gary,

My Dynamax headers installed fairly easily from the bottom on my 78. Had to fashion up a spacer for the AC compressor mount.

I did not see in your post what type of transmission is in your vette, but if you are installing true duals on an automatic, you may want to consider replacing you crossmember to one that has exhaust hole opening on both side. Also replace the exhaust hanger on the rear transmission mount, with an older one designed for pipes on both side of the transmision. If you look in the vedor catalogs, you can find the one you need for the size pipe you are using. On my 78 with 2 1/2 exhaust, I think I used the one for a earlier turbo 400 with my turbo 350 to hold the pipes. The 78 AIM shows the turbo 400 setup, but that transmission was not offered in 78.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:33 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

I put my '81 on like 1 foot high ramps and got my long tubes on no problem. You'll need to remove a few spark plugs to get it in position, though.

Get notified of new replies

To Header installation on 1979

Quick Reply: Header installation on 1979