C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found my LS5, now for the questions....

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2001, 09:14 PM
tworottiedogs
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Found my LS5, now for the questions....

First on the list are just a couple of non-technical questions. The plate on the door jam has trim code 417 and paint code 983. Does anybody know of where I can locate what that means?

Start of a never-ending list of questions:
1. The wiring harness is a mess. Does anybody sell pre-made harnesses?

2. Where is the oil presure sender? I looked back behing the distributer but saw nothing.

3. Water temp sensor. Same question, where is it? What color wires go to the sensors? there are wires dangling everywhere that aren't hooked up.

4. There is a rod coming out of the firewall with two small threaded holes in it. It is not hooked up to anything. I think it might control the wiper door. Is that true and if so, what would it hook to?

5. The wipers don't work and I can't get under the wiper door to look around. I think it is going to be wiring but am looking for any suggestions.

6. Vacuum.... The only thing hooked up to the carb is the vacuume advance for the distributor. I am going to buy a headlite and wiperdoor vacuum kit but am trying to figure out if everything is there now. Where would the hose be coming from and where would it hook to?

7. There is a lock on the back of the car, above where it says corvette. What does it do? Ejection seat??

That's it for now. Lots more to come.

Some of the parts on the engine are going up for sale tonight. I'd like to get it cleaned up and looking a little more stock.

Thanks,
Mike
Project 1971 LS5
Old 08-29-2001, 09:17 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Found my LS5, now for the questions.... (tworottiedogs)

Let us know what your selling. :yesnod:
Old 08-29-2001, 09:23 PM
docmow
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

paint code 983 brands hatch green 417 code is saddle out of vinyl
Old 08-29-2001, 09:26 PM
tworottiedogs
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Found my LS5, now for the questions.... (docmow)

That is pretty far from red with a black interior. The parts are now listed on the items for sale forum. Not much for now but more to come.
Old 08-29-2001, 09:28 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have to know the year to help out on the codes. For instance, in 71 417 was saddle vinyl and 983 was Brands Hatch Green.

Eagle products and Lectric limited both make wiring harnesses. I haven't used either. The oil pressure is read directly and comes off of the back of the block with a thin tube going to your oil pressure gauge in the cluster. The water temp sender is in the left head between the #1 and 3 cylinder and I think it uses a green single wire. At least on my 72 it does. If your wiper rod is disconnected you can't get the door to open. I might suggest purchasing an Assembly Instruction Manual from the NCRS for your year. It shows the parts, how they go on, and even has a wiring diagram. Then I would get the GM Service Manual too. Great tips and repair stuff. You really need to sort out the wiper door before you tackle the wipers. They are all interconnected and the door must be open to get the wipers to work on 68-72's. YOur best bet for vacuum stuff is Dr. Rebuild. Good catalog, great vacuum diagrams and tubing. Buy his diagram and trouble shooting guide. The lock should be the security system which is nothing more than a pathetic sounding horn if either door or hood is open.
Gary
Old 08-29-2001, 09:29 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Found my LS5, now for the questions.... (GaryS)

Sorry just noticed the 1971 in the signature.
Gary

keep the questions coming.
Old 08-29-2001, 09:32 PM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

417=saddle vinyl
983=brands hatch green

1. most major vendors do. Zip, CC, etc...

2. just above oil filter boss. rear, driver side

3. left cyl head, with thumbtack style connector. green wire. TCS is on right head with two pronged connector.

4. should be attached to to a vaccum controlled actuator for wiper door

5. ?

6. hmm. carb should have hoses for vac advance via CEC, vapor canister, and power brakes (if equipped). intake manifold has vacuum hoses for headlights, wiper door, etc.

7. alarm activation key switch. cool eh?
Old 08-29-2001, 09:39 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

First on the list are just a couple of non-technical questions. The plate on the door jam has trim code 417 and paint code 983. Does anybody know of where I can locate what that means?

Start of a never-ending list of questions:
1. The wiring harness is a mess. Does anybody sell pre-made harnesses?

Lots of vendors sell them, and most if not all will come from Lectric Limited. They have their own website and you can buy from them direct, but probably no real savings.

2. Where is the oil presure sender? I looked back behing the distributer but saw nothing.

On my 68 underneath towards the back of the engine block...I think more on the drivers side, is a curly little copper tube that runs up thru the dash to the oil pressure guage - it is a mechanical? guage that actually runs off of oil - big mess if the tube breaks. Not 100% sure if 71 is the same.

3. Water temp sensor. Same question, where is it? What color wires go to the sensors? there are wires dangling everywhere that aren't hooked up.

I recently found out.... There is a wire going from my alternator to a plug on the engine block on the drivers side... I think its between and slightly below the 2nd and 3rd spark plug. This, I am told, is the temp sending unit. May have a pic...

4. There is a rod coming out of the firewall with two small threaded holes in it. It is not hooked up to anything. I think it might control the wiper door. Is that true and if so, what would it hook to?

sorry, a rod coming out of the firewall could be lots of things your clutch linkage? ("not hooked up to anything"!!! :eek:) If it is all the way over on the pass side and you are missing the wiper vacuum canister.... maybe it could be for the wipers.

5. The wipers don't work and I can't get under the wiper door to look around. I think it is going to be wiring but am looking for any suggestions.

My suggestion? leave the wipers alone! Work on that much later... Mine still dont work!

6. Vacuum.... The only thing hooked up to the carb is the vacuume advance for the distributor. I am going to buy a headlite and wiperdoor vacuum kit but am trying to figure out if everything is there now. Where would the hose be coming from and where would it hook to?

On my 68 the vacuum for wipers and headlights comes from a port on the intake manifold, behind the carb (between the carb and the distributor). Do you have a vac hose from carb to PCV valve in valve cover?

7. There is a lock on the back of the car, above where it says corvette. What does it do? Ejection seat??

Factory alarm (I think)

That's it for now. Lots more to come.

Some of the parts on the engine are going up for sale tonight. I'd like to get it cleaned up and looking a little more stock.

Thanks,
Mike
Project 1971 LS5

Did you get the hood open yet?? MJ
Old 08-29-2001, 09:40 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Found my LS5, now for the questions.... (MNJack)

oooooooo!!!! a triple poster!! MJ
Old 08-29-2001, 09:45 PM
tworottiedogs
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Found my LS5, now for the questions.... (MNJack)

The hood is open now. I am missing the cable and the handle. I found the green wire coming form the alternator and I found the spot on the head where the sensor would go but it has a plug screwed in. That is first on the list for tomorrow.

No clue on the oil sending line. I can't find anything on the back of the block.

I do have the line running from the carb to the valve cover and the vacuum hooked up for the brakes. Nothing else is branching off and I see a lot of empty vacuum ports on several componants. I need to start a website so I can document this mess.
Old 08-29-2001, 10:01 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,

Can I jump in with some unsolicited advice? Don't do any repairs yet. Nothing, nada, zip, zilch. Don't order any parts, take anything apart, or start tearing into stuff. Take your time to learn what's supposed to be present in all the areas and all the major subsystems on your car. Sounds like there's quite a lot missing, disconnected, and unaccounted for. If you start ordering parts right now, you'll end up placing 5 times as many orders and paying 5X shipping by the time you uncover the full suite of parts that are needed in each area to correct and restore it.

For instance, you say you're going to buy a vacuum hose kit. Sounds like you also need a wiper door actuator at a minimum. There are probably other vacuum components missing if there's no wiper actuator.

Buy an Assembly Instruction Manual (AIM) for your '71 and start digging in. Examine each area and compare it to the detailed diagrams in the AIM. That will give you the most accurate reading on what parts you need.

Sorry to burst in with unsolicited advice, but I've learned this stuff the hard way and try to keep others from making the same mistakes I did.

Shannon
Old 08-29-2001, 10:10 PM
tworottiedogs
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Found my LS5, now for the questions.... (sb69coupe)

I just ordered the assembly manual from Zip (and an owners manual too)

Thanks, and any advice is welcome.

Mike
Old 08-29-2001, 11:02 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

The first thing you need to do is order two books. The first is the Assembly Instruction Manual (AIM) and the second is the Chassis Service Manual for 1971. These two valuable books will guide you through many of your questions.
Now to quickly answer some of your questions.
1. Yes you can buy a complete wiring harness. Many places carry them.
2. Pressure sender should be behind the distributor, your crate engine probably has a plug in the port. Pressure gauge is connected via nylon plastic tube to gauge in dash.
3. Water sensor is supposed to be in driverside head. I doubt that it is hooked up, the wire is a single 18 gauge Dark green wire and the sensor is probably wrong for the calibration of the gauge in the dash.
4. Yes that's the wiper door acutator rod. Pushing the rod in should raise the wiper door.
5.With out the door being open the wipers aren't going to work.
6. Main vacuum to the vacuum tank (under driverside fender) should come out of a manifold vacuum port on the back of the manifold behind the carb.
7. Alarm system arming lock. Horn is behind the left rear wheel next to the gas tank. Relays and flasher are in the bottom of the jack compartment.

I hope this helps you some... GET AN AIM
Old 08-29-2001, 11:33 PM
jeffnles1
Pro

Default Re: Found my LS5, now for the questions.... (Smokehouse69)

One of the fellows in my Corvette Club (you should join a club, a lot of good advice and from people who have been there/done that) told me to drive it for the summer, find out what's wrong and what you want to fix. Order them in priority of things important to you. Here's what he suggested and I did. Once you get past the safety and mechanical things, pace yourself or you'll break the bank the first year. I made a decision to do one expensive thing a year once I got the major stuff out of the way. I just did the AC this year (to the tune of $1000).

1) safety (i.e. brakes, steering, suspension/tires, headlights/tail lights/turn signals, fuel leaks, etc.)

2) mechanical things that don't work or don't work properly (critical things like poor running, vacuum leaks, tune-up, timing, distrib cap rotor, wiring, things that may leave you sitting on the side of the road some lonely night)

3) mechanical things that need fixing, but may not leave you stranded (bushings, shocks, springs, gauges, etc.

4) interior cosemetics & appointments (gauges, interior lights, carpet, seats, etc.) (I questioned that, but he made a good point, where do you spend your time, inside the thing right? OK, point made)

5) Exterior cosemetics/body work (expensive, not safety related, usually)

6) comfort (heat, air conditioning, power windows, weatherstrip, etc.)

I thought this was sage advice. :chevy

Jeff S.
Old 08-30-2001, 03:51 AM
Tomi72
Racer

I don't think this is the actuator rod, if I remember right that's just a threaded rod at the passenger side of the firewall. As others said it's connected to a vacuum canister.

I think this one with two holes (positioned a little closer to the center of the firewall) should be connected to a little L-shaped thingy which in turn presses a button switch on the firewall. The switch should be directly under the hole where this rod comes through. It's supposed to work so that wiper motor only gets juice after the wiper door has fully opened and thus pressed this switch.

If you have manually opened the wiper door have someone press the switch and try the wipers, might be that simple!

rgds Tomi
Old 08-30-2001, 11:07 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

tworottiedogs

They probably put the engine in w/o the senders.

:cheers:

[Modified by Ganey, 9:28 AM 8/30/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Found my LS5, now for the questions....

Quick Reply: Found my LS5, now for the questions....