C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home built spreader bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 10:16 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Home built spreader bar

* Update! Spreader bar and brackets now installed and functional. All in all...a cheap build vs buying a pre made one! Pics Below* Thanks for all the input folks!

Since viewing some others home built spreader bars I decided to tackle one on my own. I have the upper A arm brackets cut and drilled. My question is, if I have adequate clearance from the front to the rear of the brackets to clear pulleys, (with the bar) what is the best orientation for the bar to be mounted in the brackets, or does it matter? Center? Front? Rear?
Thanks for the input!

Last edited by Jclgodale3; 05-30-2006 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:52 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

just my opinion but I would say in the middle.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Meh
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Yeah, I'd say as close to center as possible.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:06 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Two. One front and one rear....unless you can make an "X"

Damn. Wish I had that much room! Mine is mounted, quite literally, on top of the front mounting bolts. Another 1/2" back and I hit the PS pump.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:06 PM
b71vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say in the middle.

Curious to know why you offset the holes ?

That may potentially weaken it, the hole closer to the edge would not be as rigid as if it were closer to the bend
Old 05-23-2006, 11:08 PM
JoeRags
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started sourcing parts for mine today as well.. so I'd like to hear what people have to say.

what thickness material did you use? I have a bunch of stainless 1" stock 3/16 thick.. wondering if it will be strong enough for the brackets. Thinking I might need wider pieces.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by b71vette
I would say in the middle.

That may potentially weaken it, the hole closer to the edge would not be as rigid as if it were closer to the bend
Mainly, just to level the "plane" of the brackets front to rear. Since the front bolts are higher than the rears. Think it's an issue being that the bar will not be right at the hole?
Old 05-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CGGorman
Two. One front and one rear....unless you can make an "X"

Damn. Wish I had that much room! Mine is mounted, quite literally, on top of the front mounting bolts. Another 1/2" back and I hit the PS pump.
? Can you expand on your thoughts?
Old 05-23-2006, 11:11 PM
JoeRags
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by b71vette
looks like he rotated the bracket a bit, it'll sit not parallel with the mounting points... I'm assuming its for clearence purposes, no?
Old 05-24-2006, 12:05 AM
litevette
Melting Slicks

I'd like to see that thing when you get done with it!
Old 05-24-2006, 12:26 AM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by litevette
I'd like to see that thing when you get done with it!
Old 05-24-2006, 07:41 AM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I made my brackets out of the thickest 2" angle I could find. I located both holes toward the top of the angle iron because of clearance issues with a pulley and pulley guard located on the right side of the car. I kept the brackets in "plane" with the a arm too; I thought it would be stronger that way. I located the bar closer to the front of the brackets because that is where it clears the fan, pulleys and fan shaft to the engine. Of course, if you aren't running an engine fan, you will have the ability to mount the rod higher and closer to the front a arm stud.
Bernie
Old 05-24-2006, 09:39 AM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jclgodale3
? Can you expand on your thoughts?
This stuff is difficult to explain w/o pictures!

I'm thinking that forces exerted on the upper a-arm mount happen more or less equally at the front and rear of the mount. If a spreader bar is installed in between the two mounting studs, the majority of the lateral forces (a-arm moving up-down or left-right) are transferred through the bar into the opposite mount. In that situation, the mounts are still allowed to twist (a-arm moving fore-aft) independantly of one another. If we add a second bar separated as far as possible from the first along the length of the a-arm mount we tie that bending moment to the opposite side of the car. Good, but not great. It still allows some movement that could affect caster and steering. If we can make those two bars into the shape of an X (front right mount ties to rear left mount, rear right mount ties to front left mount), we effectively eliminate all independent motion. The driver mount can still push toward the passenger mount, affecting camber, but we would have to build a third member tieing the X to the crossmember to eliminate that.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:58 AM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

Totally agree, X member would work best if tied to the frame/crossmemeber but for the purpose of a street car I doubt you would really notice the difference b/w a highly modified spreader bar and a simple one bar design. Unless your running auto-x.
If you planning on building that "L" bracket make sure you put gussets/triangles to fit in the "L and give it strenth. Also the spreader bar gains the best rigidity when pushing against the inside of the A-arm where there can't be any bend or forgiving of the metal instead of an "L" bracket mounted to the top of the a-arm. Do a search, someone posted a pick of what i'm talking about. When I spring for the dewitt dual spal fans and aluminum radiator I'll be fab'in up an "X" spreader bar that mounts to the inside of the A-arm bracket. Only issue here is adjustability. Haven't figured out a way to allow this "X" design to be adjustable. Good luck.
-B
Old 05-24-2006, 01:03 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Twin Turbo added a gusset right below the upper a Arm mounting studs. I am pulling the motor this winter and will add this gusset also. I will fit it before pulling the motor and make it as big as possible to prevent flexing of the towers.
I totally overlooked a gusset here in the past when adding them everywhere else.
I did go solid mounts to use the block as a stiffening member.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:26 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That gusset is not just a gusset, it's the inner structural part of the shock tower...I still need to finish the inside (after I remove the engine yet again) so it's a square section all the way tp the top. You can see the gusset is cut in 2 where the cross shaft goes through, this will be just a hole when done. To install the arms I have to disassemble them, stick the cross shaft through and bolt it down and then install the rest. That's the only way I can get the tower strong enough and not having to cut it in 2 to slide the cross shaft in.

I have gussets almost everywhere, even on the motor mounts & the rear kickup area.

Last edited by Twin_Turbo; 05-24-2006 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:11 PM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

can you say trigger happy with a welder!

Get notified of new replies

To Home built spreader bar

Old 05-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Voetsek
Intermediate

I don't even have my frame gusseted right now. but I do have a roll cage. I'll add gussets like Twin Turbos and gusset everything else as stated in the chevy power book. I'll try to weld as much seams as possible but, I don't plan on taking of the body so I'll miss the part under the bird cage. I also made the spreder bar out of 1/4 inch flat stock. I didn't bother with the angle iron becuase I don't think 1/4 steel would flex that much.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:48 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mark you still have poly motor mounts?? Why not go solid and use the motor as a stiffening member?
While I hesitated to go solid once I did I don't notice any different in the idle, no harseness in the car.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:56 PM
b71vette
Burning Brakes

Norval, I swapped out to solid mounts on my 71 383 stroker mainly to cut down on the engine torking so much. I never thought about it stiffening the frame though - thanks for pointing that out.

Quick Reply: Home built spreader bar