C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wippers stopped working!

Old 05-20-2006, 09:17 AM
71Vettehead
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wippers stopped working!

The wippers just stoped working! The crowe (sp?) still lifts up but the wipers no worky! Is there somwhere easy to start looking at? Is this a commen troulbe with a 71?

TIA!
Old 05-20-2006, 09:24 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

....wiper motor circuit needs checking..not sure,but think there is an interlock (switch) from vacuum side to electric motor...??? Check fuse first...
Old 05-20-2006, 09:29 AM
71Vettehead
8th Gear

Originally Posted by rihwoods
....wiper motor circuit needs checking..not sure,but think there is an interlock (switch) from vacuum side to electric motor...??? Check fuse first...

Thanks, I'm heading out to work on it now. I'll let you know what (if) I find.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:19 AM
71Vettehead
8th Gear

Found the interlocking switch. But found no voltage on either side of it at all!? Only one wire with voltage to it heading to the motor. Its the lighte green one towards the driver side. Its a 3 wire plug. Life is woul;d be so easy if I had a wiring digram for this beast!
Old 05-20-2006, 09:38 PM
zigvs
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default stuck wiper

I bought my 73 and the guy said the wipers didn't work.I sprayed WD 40 on all the linkages and gave it a wiggle and they work fine.Its a cheap thing to check out.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:30 PM
c3dreamer
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 71Vettehead
The wippers just stoped working! The crowe (sp?) still lifts up but the wipers no worky! Is there somwhere easy to start looking at? Is this a commen troulbe with a 71?

TIA!
A. Check the following ("easy way"):

1. Check 25 Amps fuse located in fuse block. Replace it if necessary.
2. Check black wire condition of wiper switch. It made ground. Check if it is loose or if connector is corroded.
3. Check wire connections of wiper switch and wiper motor. Check if they are loose.
4. Check wiper motor ground. A black wire is responsible to made ground. Check if it is loose or connector corroded.
5. Wiper switch wires are 4: One black (ground), one white, one light blue and one orange. Except the black wire, the other three run to a common independent connection. Check if wire connections are loose or corroded.
6. Wiper motor has 3 main wires: one red, one tan and one black. Black wire is connected to ground and also run to a common connector. Tan wire and red wire run to a common independent connector also. Check connections if are loose or corroded.

From wiper motor:

a. From common connector described in point 6, red wire is connected to a light blue wire. Tan wire is connected to a yellow wire. Black wire is connected to a black and orange wire. Check connections if are loose or corroded.
b. Light blue wire run to a common connector located approximately in fire wall and is connected to light blue wire described in point 5 and related to wiper switch. Check connections if are loose or corroded.

c. Yellow wire run to a common connector located in firewall and continue the run to 25 Amp located in fuse block. Check connections if are loose or corroded.

d. A second yellow wire run to wiper water pump wire connection of the same color. Check connections if are loose or corroded.

e. Black and orange wire run to a common connector located in firewall and continue to run to another common connector, now as an orange wire of the wiper switch. Check connections if are loose or corroded.

B. Complete "Hard Way"

1. Perform continuity test, volt testing, find for open circuit, find for short circuit for described wiring and components. Use voltmeter and other electrical testers.

Last edited by c3dreamer; 05-20-2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:39 PM
c3dreamer
Safety Car

Check also:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1382921

Get notified of new replies

To Wippers stopped working!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wippers stopped working!