C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how quick an engine reach oil pressure at the start

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 05:56 AM
panic
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Default how quick an engine reach oil pressure at the start

there is an iussue i didnt see here yet...it's about how quick an engine reaches the oil preasure level at the cold start, for example i have two V8 cars, a C3 with a 406ci high output hp that reaches almost instantly its oil preasure level...and a griffith 5 ltr that takes a couple of seconds longer. could we say thet the quicker the engine reaches its pressure level the healthier it is? your inputs will be appreciated, thanks
Old 04-29-2006, 06:16 AM
fl_rider
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default apples and oranges

It could just be the difference in the type of oil pressure guage.

My 78 has an electrical sending unit that is right next to the pump. Pressure registers as soon as I start cranking it.
I had a 72 Chevy I built a 350 for and ran a mechanical guage and it was slow to register. In fact it was even worse in the winter.

I'm not familiar with the Griffith so I really cant speak to that.

Have a great day

Chris B
Old 04-29-2006, 06:25 AM
kb2fzq
Burning Brakes

Default more apples and oranges

....and of course, oil vascosity must also have an effect on this question....
Old 04-29-2006, 07:48 AM
Star79
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by panic
there is an iussue i didnt see here yet...it's about how quick an engine reaches the oil preasure level at the cold start, for example i have two V8 cars, a C3 with a 406ci high output hp that reaches almost instantly its oil preasure level...and a griffith 5 ltr that takes a couple of seconds longer. could we say thet the quicker the engine reaches its pressure level the healthier it is? your inputs will be appreciated, thanks
Wait a minute, you have a Griffith?? I LOVE those, got pics?

Dunno about your oil pressure question, maybe the 406 has higher volume pump since it's a built motor. Or it might just be a Chevy/Ford thing if your Griffith has a SB Ford.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:54 PM
glen242
Melting Slicks

What year Griffith? I had a '67 with the SBF engine and it ran like a raped ape. Supposedly as fast as a Cobra up to 120 MPH. 0-60 was supposed to be 3.9 sec.

Wife HATED it! Too hot and cramped inside. Wanted me to get my GT 350 back.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:20 AM
panic
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Star79
Wait a minute, you have a Griffith?? I LOVE those, got pics?

Dunno about your oil pressure question, maybe the 406 has higher volume pump since it's a built motor. Or it might just be a Chevy/Ford thing if your Griffith has a SB Ford.
here is the griffith, it's a later '96 model, not the classic of the sixties, it's still very quick, she weights only 2.300 lbs and with close to 380hp has very few competitors on the 0/60mph time..
Old 05-01-2006, 08:44 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fl_rider
It could just be the difference in the type of oil pressure guage.

Chris B

I have 3 vehicles and two of them have electronic gages that after starting sweep across to full scale, drop back to zero and then climb to the proper oil pressure.
My corvette is already pegged when the motor starts and I glance down.

Just a quick funny story. My friend was changing oil in the driveway. His wife came out, didn't see him so she just jumped in the car, backed out and went to the local store. Didn't notice the oil pan in the center of driveway nor the warning light on the dash.
When she came home her husband was jumping mad but what could he do. He put oil in the motor and never ever noticed a difference in the long run.

Last edited by norvalwilhelm; 05-01-2006 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:56 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by norvalwilhelm
I have 3 vehicles and two of them have electronic gages that after starting sweep across to full scale, drop back to zero and then climb to the proper oil pressure.
My corvette is already pegged when the motor starts and I glance down.

Just a quick funny story. My friend was changing oil in the driveway. His wife came out, didn't see him so she just jumped in the car, backed out and went to the local store. Didn't notice the oil pan in the center of driveway nor the warning light on the dash.
When she came home her husband was jumping mad but what could he do. He put oil in the motor and never ever noticed a difference in the long run.
Good think he wasn't still under the car with a wrench in his hand!
Old 05-01-2006, 01:10 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

if you have the oil filter bypass valve blocked the oil pressure will come up slower because the oil is not bypassing the oil filter and it take a few seconds for the oil to get thru the filter BUT with out the filter bypass blocked dirty oil is going thru the engine bearings on startup.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:23 PM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A guy here at work has a TVR with a brand new chevy 3.4 crate in it...
Old 05-01-2006, 06:19 PM
glen242
Melting Slicks

here is the griffith, it's a later '96 model, not the classic of the sixties, it's still very quick, she weights only 2.300 lbs and with close to 380hp has very few competitors on the 0/60mph time..
Still made by TVR? Sort of lost track of the performance cars during my child rearing years. SBC, SBF or what engine.

I could see me buying one of those.

Thanks for the picture.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:31 PM
JHT
7th Gear

Default TVR Grifith

I took Second hand 5.0Ltr TVR grifith out for a test drive here in England a couple of years back i was very dissapointed i was the most bloody horrible car i have driven. I must admit it looks great but as we all know beauty is just skin deep. It went like stink once u got it above 3500 revs but nothing below that no torque, the ride was rock hard, steering very heavy it had power steering but you would be pushed to notice, manual gear box shift heavy as hell. In all not very nice to drive needless to say i did not buy the car, They also here in England have a reputation for NOT being the most reliable car in the world. I did buy a 350 C3 a lot better job and sounds a lot better than the TVR a real V8 rumble, Regarding the engine it started life as a Rover 3.5ltr V8 in about 66/67 and got overbored to 4.0 4.2 4.5 5.0 over the years by diffrent companys, I think it was a Buick desine engine of the 1950s and Rover put it in their top of the line cars the original 3.5 being verry reliable and tough. The 5.0 TVR i drove was making about 350 BHP but it must have had some verry big cams in to make that sort of power.

Get notified of new replies

To how quick an engine reach oil pressure at the start

Quick Reply: how quick an engine reach oil pressure at the start