C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off-idle hesitation and "back-fire" through carb

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by olescarb
trial and error costs far too much time
some of us like this stuff so it is time well spent..

Originally Posted by olescarb
but how do you jet a carb without reading the exhaust gas
jet it up until gas is blowin out the tail pipe, then back off a little......i thnk that when you're really tuned to run hard and fast, you would likely choke an exhaust sniffer to death....

fwiw ported does not create vacuume at an idle..
Old 04-13-2006, 09:12 AM
77-4speed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for taking so long to chime back in guys. I haven't had a chance to do any diagnostics. I've been working late and I don't think the neighbors would appreciate me firing up the Vette at 11pm It's on my schedule for Saturday so I'll post back then.

I am going to:

Check carb model#
Check manifold part#
Check that gas is squirting when car is off and gas pedal pushed
Check that the choke plates open up once car is started
Check to make sure the vacuum advance is still working properly
Check timing at idle and at 3000
Check amount of vacuum
If all these pass, richen up the mixture and give it a spin

How do I go about checking for vacuum leaks? I think I might have one in my headlight system. It's easy to bypass the headlight system, but I'd prefer not to.

Thanks for all the help so far. I'll report back this weekend.

Russell
Old 04-15-2006, 05:46 PM
77-4speed
Instructor

Well,

I didn't have a terribly productive day today, but I did get a few bits done. My local autozone was out of timing lights and vacuum pumps so no progress there. However, I did find out the following things:

Carb is an Edelbrock model 1400
Intake is a Weiand 8004
Gas does squirt when pedal is punched (with car off)
Choke plates do open once the car warms up
Vacuum advance is still working

Looks like my hard starting problem is a fuel leak. I noticed the clear fuel filter I installed was empty. As I cranked it fuel slowly began coming back in. When fuel finally made it through the filter, she fired right up. I checked all the fuel lines and it looks like its a line that is under the AC compressor going into some sort of bell shaped metal piece. I don't know if that's the fuel pump or what but the line is rotted and leaking fuel on the frame rail.

After noticing the fuel leak I decided not to drive it until I get that sorted out. I did notice that the passenger side Idle mixture screw was a bit more "in" than the drivers side so I richened it up a quarter turn.

Unfortunately I'm out of town on business for the next 2 weeks so I won't have a chance to get it repaired for a while. But I'll post back when I do.

Russell
Old 04-15-2006, 06:10 PM
olescarb
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

the #1400 is a emmisions replacement carb and may be very lean to allow it to be used as a smog legal carb and if i remember correct is has a small pump squirter that may not squirt enough to prevent a bog when you accelerate the engine under load (in gear) it can be tuned but may take some work i would use a .031 squirter and 71/47 rods with a .098 jet in the primary to start
if you are not married to the carb the 1806 edelbrock thunder (same as a carter avs) is a much better carb with secondarys that are much improved over the old style. good luck
Old 04-19-2006, 08:04 PM
77-4speed
Instructor

Yeah,

I bought it because I was told by an inspection station that I would have to pass a smog test in Houston. As it turns out, I don't and could have gotten any carb I wanted. Live and learn I guess. I'm not married to the carb per se, but I'd like to try to make it work if it's reasonable to do so. If not, I'll switch it out for something more capable.

Thanks,

Russell

Quick Reply: Off-idle hesitation and "back-fire" through carb