C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this what they call 'wiped lobe'.....comp cam!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 09:30 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this what they call 'wiped lobe'.....comp cam!!!

Some of you may remember my struggle with the lack of performance with my cam/head swap last year. After trouble shooting for months, I decided to pull the lifters yesterday.

#3 and #4 cylinder lifters are not flat on the bottom anymore. They have a 1/8" concave. Is this a wiped lobe sign? I am pretty sure it is. Also, I can't take out 3 lifters. They are stuck in there pretty tight.

I have been in contact with comp cam since the day I installed this piece of crap. It was installed and broken-in exactly as per the procedure.

I just sent them an email requesting full refund. Let's see what their responce is

Never thought I would be part of the 'majority' of the people with wiped lobes on Crap Cams
Old 04-06-2006, 09:36 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wiped is correct....
Old 04-06-2006, 09:56 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

Just got off the phone with Summit Racing. Basically, the warranty period is over so Summit can't do anything. But if Crap Cams takes it back, Summit will send a new one...

Gonna call CC tomorrow morning...
Old 04-06-2006, 10:22 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Perfect time to get a hydraulic roller. Yes they cost more initially but they don't wipe lobes.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:53 PM
73, Dark Blue 454
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Xe?

Last edited by 73, Dark Blue 454; 04-11-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:10 PM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
Perfect time to get a hydraulic roller. Yes they cost more initially but they don't wipe lobes.
All the more reason for me to get my hydraulic roller....!!!
Old 04-06-2006, 11:25 PM
Bill Baird
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by desi
Some of you may remember my struggle with the lack of performance with my cam/head swap last year. After trouble shooting for months, I decided to pull the lifters yesterday.

#3 and #4 cylinder lifters are not flat on the bottom anymore. They have a 1/8" concave. Is this a wiped lobe sign? I am pretty sure it is. Also, I can't take out 3 lifters. They are stuck in there pretty tight.

I have been in contact with comp cam since the day I installed this piece of crap. It was installed and broken-in exactly as per the procedure.

I just sent them an email requesting full refund. Let's see what their responce is

Never thought I would be part of the 'majority' of the people with wiped lobes on Crap Cams

Yep, the cam's toast.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:20 AM
ltlevil
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why have you been in contact with them since you installed the piece of crap? If you knew it was enough of a piece of crap (or didn't have any confidence in the quality) to be in contact with the manufacturer since installation, why did you install it? I hate this happened to you DESI, but I'm assuming proper break-in, lube and oil was used during the break-in period(I base this assumption on you being in contact with comp cams since installation)? I'm not saying you personally did anything wrong but others here installing cams could use information from lessons you learned.

ltlevil
Old 04-07-2006, 01:20 AM
comp
Team Owner

let us know what they say,,and stay on them
Old 04-07-2006, 05:23 AM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zwede
Old 04-07-2006, 05:45 AM
2th farmer
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 6-8-9 Veteran

Went thru the same problem. Hydraulic roller is the way to go!
Old 04-07-2006, 07:12 AM
Aflac
Race Director

Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

when mine left, the #3 intake lobe looked like a golf ball..
Old 04-07-2006, 07:48 AM
desi
Melting Slicks

I bought the cam in Nov. 04, had it shipped to Canada in Apr.05, installed in May05, tried tuning the motor with different carbs, timing, etc... Contacted CC in Aug.05 timeframe over phone. Sent them emails starting Sep.05. The warranty is for one year, which expired in Nov. 05. Wish I had pulled the cam back in last summer. Car has been parked for winter since Oct. 05.

It's XS256S, extreme solid series. Apparently, a relatively new cam.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:51 AM
comp
Team Owner

I bought the cam in Nov. 04, had it shipped to Canada in Apr.05, installed in May05, tried tuning the motor with different carbs, timing, etc... Contacted CC in Aug.05 timeframe over phone. Sent them emails starting Sep.05. The warranty is for one year, which expired in Nov. 05. Wish I had pulled the cam back in last summer. Car has been parked for winter since Oct. 05.

It's XS256S, extreme solid series. Apparently, a relatively new cam.
i'd still bug them
Old 04-07-2006, 08:54 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

that sucks...
Old 04-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Cory1970
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a friend who broke 4 of their beehieve springs in a race motor. Comp give him some problems at first because their was some issue with clarification of street or race use. Eventualy after a couple of emails and letters they sent him all new springs and gave him a $50credit to make up for the trouble.

Lesson.... If you try hard enough and let them know you are a member of an automotive community (CF) they will usualy give you a new product or money back...... try and try try agian
Old 04-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Obviously something has been wrong from the very beginning since it's never been tuned right....

Brett

Get notified of new replies

To Is this what they call 'wiped lobe'.....comp cam!!!

Old 04-07-2006, 11:59 AM
desi
Melting Slicks

Update: They 'may' replace the cam, but cannot refund any money. I told them I am not willing to try the same cam again, given the issues with the first one.

Let's see what they come back with.

I have not used the CF threat yet
Old 04-07-2006, 12:06 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

What kind of oil are you using? Supposedly, with a flat tappet cam you need oil with zinc in it. Most regular oils don't have zinc any more, but the racing oils do. I checked Valvoline's website and confirmed this. I switched to their racing oil. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:32 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

I am using Castrol GTX. Been using this oil for the last 20 years in ALL my vehicles with no problems.

Just rec'd an email from them that they will replace the cam with ANY cam of my choice, but not refund the money. Given the following information, I think the most suitable cam for me is XE268H. But man, am I ever worried about using that crap

Stock 350, stock pistons, crank, stall, TH400 tranny with 3.08 rear.
Edelbrock performer heads, performer intake, Q-jet.
Hooker headers, true 2.5" chambered duals, no muffler.

Compression Ratio should be 9.2-9.5 range. I am gonna ask for a roller set-up, see if they agree. What do you guys recommend. I have never looked at roller set ups.

Quick Reply: Is this what they call 'wiped lobe'.....comp cam!!!