C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 to C6

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 10:01 PM
vettlibito
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C3 to C6

After about 6 months of thought. I finally realized what I want to do, to my Vett. I am going to change everything on my 76' to 06' Parts (Yes I'll be putting the LS7 under the hood..) except body, and in the interior I am going to put new racing seats. My project will start this July.... If anyone has any thought or ideas PLEASE hit me up. I'll also be posting alot of pictures too when I start on my project. After this project is done I am going to start looking for room to squeeze some twin turbos in under the hood(If possible). Thanks Corvette Forum for all your support!

Semper Fi,
Charles T Schneider
Old 04-03-2006, 10:07 PM
frostbitten09
Pro

Nice, Keep us updated thats one project i cant wait to see. Ls7 Twin turbo in a c3, WOW. Good luck cant wait to hear more.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:12 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Based on what I've seen recently on the Barrett Jackson auctions on SPEED TV, you'll stand a much better chance of recovering the huge investment you are about to make if you start with a C1 or C2. A beautiful 58 on a C5 chassis sold for well over $100,000 in Palm Beach last week.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by vettlibito
After about 6 months of thought. I finally realized what I want to do, to my Vett. I am going to change everything on my 76' to 06' Parts (Yes I'll be putting the LS7 under the hood..) except body, and in the interior I am going to put new racing seats. My project will start this July.... If anyone has any thought or ideas PLEASE hit me up. I'll also be posting alot of pictures too when I start on my project. After this project is done I am going to start looking for room to squeeze some twin turbos in under the hood(If possible). Thanks Corvette Forum for all your support!

Semper Fi,
Charles T Schneider

Cool, but pricey, to swap in a LS7 you're looking at $14,000 for the crate, and easily another $5,000 for pullies, wiring, computer, and tuning. This is provided you do your own work. For turbos you'll need to swap the 11:1 compression, etc

Long story short, if ya got the coin by all means do it and post pictures.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:35 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Wow. Not an easy task. You're not planning on just modifying the C3 frame are you? To fit the C6 subframes under a C3 would require so much work, it'd probably be easier to just build a custom frame.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:37 PM
vettlibito
Instructor

I'm not in this for a investment... I want to do these things because I love the thought of it. Something about the Stingray body makes me love it more than any other Vette body. I plan to keep my dream car till I die. I dont even care if after I do this and it makes the car worth nothing. To me it will look like a million bucks.

Semper Fi,
Charles T. Schneider
Old 04-03-2006, 10:43 PM
vettlibito
Instructor

No I am keeping my Corvette (Pic to the left) and ripping the guts out of it all. Then putting ZO6 In replacement of everything. Except frame, body, and interior. The only thing in the interior im replacing is the seats.

Charles
(salutes fellow Vett drivers)

"Corvette a American legacy"
Old 04-03-2006, 10:59 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are keeping the frame, what are you doing for suspension, brakes and rims? Are you goint to use the torque tube and rear mounted trans or a more conventional route with the 6 speed right behind the engine?
Old 04-03-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

You might want to swap to better gauges in the interior in this process...
Old 04-03-2006, 11:14 PM
vettlibito
Instructor

I'm going to try to keep most of that c3 except I'm going for ZO6(probobly C5 ZO6) rims and I'm changing the *** end axle. Trans... I'm not quiet sure with that one yet. On that note I was thinking of going with the flow.... Ahh the gauges.. I really thought about that and looked at peoples center gauge mods they have done, and I was thinking about leaving the MPH, and RPM gauge alone, and Changing the rest to digital. Also changing the old Sterio of course, and buy new speakers for the rest of the car(and still ahve room for the t-tops)

Charles

P.s. While I am doing this to my car.. I'll definitly will be selling parts that I am replacing. The engine is a 350 with only 76500miles on it.. anyone know how much thats worth because I dont..haha.. Check the parts for Sale down the road to see what I'm selling...
Old 04-03-2006, 11:15 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

I'm not in this for a investment... I want to do these things because I love the thought of it. Something about the Stingray body makes me love it more than any other Vette body. I plan to keep my dream car till I die. I dont even care if after I do this and it makes the car worth nothing. To me it will look like a million bucks.

Semper Fi,
Charles T. Schneider
Thats the only way to do it, in my book.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:25 PM
frostbitten09
Pro

Semper Fi,
Charles T. Schneider
Glad to hear this, I dont like how people buy then for an investment,(no offence to them) but a car is something that you should buy for you, an the love of the hobby. I plan on keeping my car till im to old and can pass it down to my kid, and keep it in the family. Granted its a 78 but its my first car, and its a love for the c3s. I can put 50k into my 78 even if its only worht 10k, its priceless to Me and thats all that matters.
Go for your dream, you thought of it now go and do it.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:33 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Cool project by the way.

From your first post I thought you were going to use the C5/6 suspension, driveline, brakes, and wheels and tires.

And you might want to plan what trans you want before you swap out the rear end. The C5/6 trans bolts directly to the differential and requires the C5/6 rear end, axles and suspension to work properly.

If you need any help with the LS7, let me know. It is basically a 427 LS1 with a few twists to the install.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:42 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

Originally Posted by frostbitten09
Glad to hear this, I dont like how people buy then for an investment,(no offence to them) but a car is something that you should buy for you, an the love of the hobby. I plan on keeping my car till im to old and can pass it down to my kid, and keep it in the family. Granted its a 78 but its my first car, and its a love for the c3s. I can put 50k into my 78 even if its only worht 10k, its priceless to Me and thats all that matters.
Go for your dream, you thought of it now go and do it.
I bought mine at 13 and hope to give it to my kids someday. I absolutely love these cars.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:52 AM
Victor
Melting Slicks

I can't point you to a link, but I told myself that if I ever have too much money on my hand that I would buy a new tubular chasis for my C3.

A number of months ago someone posted a link to a business that was building C3 tubular steel frames with C5 suspension components that you could just drop a C3 body onto. I believe it costs somewhere around $12,000. I tried doing a quick search on google, but I couldn't find anything without digging too deep.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:28 AM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Twin Turbo LS7... what do you intend to do to keep the frame in one piece? You need to start with one of these frames: http://phillymotorsports.com/photos/...0406-LIMA1.pdf And I hope that you're loaded.

Oh yeah, Twin Turbos on an LS7 should not be an afterthought. You need to do it all at once. Build a low compression LS engine in prep for the boost.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:18 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like a pretty cool project ,keep us updated.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 to C6

Old 04-04-2006, 10:14 AM
TheWildcat
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default sounds fun

Hey that sounds fun. we (myself and Bob at Bragons Breath Performance) are putting a LS1 in my 82. Bob has done a cam and ported the heads on it. Front and rear Vette Brakes suspension and steeroids. and by the way i have made a 82 tail section with C5 tail lights... good luck on yours.. there is pics of ours on the dragons breath web site.. John
Old 04-04-2006, 11:08 AM
vettlibito
Instructor

Thanks for all the input everyone! Keep it comming.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:23 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Thanks for all the input everyone! Keep it comming.

What frame do you plan to use since the Z06 suspension will not boltup to the C3 frame?

Quick Reply: C3 to C6