C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Settle in for a good laugh (a.k.a. what have I done?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 05:24 PM
pingdashf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Settle in for a good laugh (a.k.a. what have I done?)

Ok, so about once every 6 months I get the ***** to work on my car myself. I have no mechanical knowledge and the following story is going to prove that I am worse than bubba!

My carb is broke. I have talked with lars and I was going to send it to him, of course I'm an idiot and didn't get it to him before his deadline. But that is another story. I tried to take the carb off and in the process broke a lot of things. It's just four bolts right?

Well, before I undo the four bolts, I thought i'd remove the fuel filter line. To do so there were a couple of hoses plugged into some blue thing that were in the way. So i pulled them off.

Oops. What have I just broken? And yes, after breaking the first one I thought, "well, the second one wont break".

But, hey, so I have one little blue broken thing, I can still take the carb off since that was the mission in the first place (now i'm starting to forget why I want the carb off if I can't send it to lars, but i'm on a mission).

I guess I could have noticed that the fuel line was twisting, but, I didn't. Now what I have broken?!?

I quit. Anyone want this car? My manhood has been shattered and I have no idea what to do. Anyone know a traveling mechanic since I obviously can't get this to a shop now. I'm going to go cry now.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Star79
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure YOU broke that? Maybe it was the family of squirrels living under your hood that did it

(seriously though, you haven't busted anything that important yet. Vacuum parts can go, and gas line can be replaced)
Old 04-01-2006, 05:45 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

time for a frame off..........
Old 04-01-2006, 05:49 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Bummer dude. It doesn't look too devistating though. Nothing a few $ won't fix.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Aflac
Race Director

Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

the blue thing is a ported vacuum switch. pretty cheap to replace, provided it comes out easy...
Old 04-01-2006, 05:51 PM
evil herbavore
Burning Brakes

Put the tools down, step away from the car, sir......
Old 04-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Red70vette
Burning Brakes

It looks like you have your work cut out for you. Did the squirrels nest there on your watch? Do the nuts on the intake manifold help any?

Seriously though, these things happen and hopefully we learn from them. It can be expensive but we do learn. Keep your chin up and just keep working on it. Use this forum to get information (before you start) and you will find it can be pretty satisfying when you get something done. That is what the fun of this hobby is.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:06 PM
gavanm01
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember, there's company in misery, or something like that...
Old 04-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Aflac
Race Director

Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by evil herbavore
actually that isnt such a bad idea. when you start breaking things, you start making more work for yourself out of frustration. takea break and step back from it and get refocused.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:13 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

Congratulations......you have just completed the preliminary steps to earning your Official Shadetree Mechanics License....
Old 04-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Go Vette Go
Red Road Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 283 Likes on 200 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15, '19

I don't think there is a direct corrolation between experience and mistakes - WE ALL MAKE THEM. My father - a car mechanic by trade - put my clutch is backwards. He should know better - started the car - "Hey Dad - What's the clicking noise"?

Guess we allhave those tales to tell! At least you tried.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:07 PM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Small potatoes! The blue thingy has to do with temp activated vacuum port emissions malarcky. Should be able to order a new one, not a big deal. Or if you're skilled with JB Weld you have your answer, that's exactly what I did with my old motor.

Hey! Guess what! Cheap plastic crap subject to engine heat left to bake for 25 years under your hood is going to break! Happens all the time, not your fault.

The fuel line, sometimes they get bent and you can't unscrew them without twisting them. Or the threaded thingy gets runsted to the line, causing it to twist. I would junk the fule line, find a fitting that screws into your carb and another that screws into your fuel pump, use rubber fuel line and hose clamps to connect em. Should cost you about $10.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:18 PM
JoeRags
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by torqvette
Small potatoes! The blue thingy has to do with temp activated vacuum port emissions malarcky. Should be able to order a new one, not a big deal. Or if you're skilled with JB Weld you have your answer, that's exactly what I did with my old motor.
i believe this is the problem... he's not so skilled.

relax for a while, and take your time when you get back to it. best way to learn is by breaking it the first time around.

oh, and clean all them nuts off the top of the engine. looks like you really did have someone living under there for a while.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:22 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by torqvette

Hey! Guess what! Cheap plastic crap subject to engine heat left to bake for 25 years under your hood is going to break! Happens all the time, not your fault.

The fuel line, sometimes they get bent and you can't unscrew them without twisting them. Or the threaded thingy gets runsted to the line, causing it to twist. I would junk the fule line, find a fitting that screws into your carb and another that screws into your fuel pump, use rubber fuel line and hose clamps to connect em. Should cost you about $10.
BUBBA!! Don't use a rubber hose from your fuel pump to your carb!!! Good way to burn it. Then you won't have to worry about working on it. Buy the correct formed fuel line and replace it in one piece. Under hood fires are no fun. All it takes is one of those little stainless steel clamps to break and it's bye bye vette! I just replaced a clamp on the wife's van today that was put there buy the GM dealership that replaced her rear fuel filter. Twisted the line off, cut it back a couple inches and installed a piece of rubber hose with 2 hose clamps.The 1st hose clamp broke about a year ago. Fuel was spraying out, covered the whole underneath of the pass side( Exhaust side too!). I only had one clamp so I replaced it thinking it was a fluke for it to break. Replaced the other today after the same thing happened again!! It is only temperary till i can get a new line from GM. I'm fixing it right this time. Nothing to mess with!!!
Old 04-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Eric79-L48
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mako
BUBBA!! Don't use a rubber hose from your fuel pump to your carb!!! Good way to burn it. Then you won't have to worry about working on it. Buy the correct formed fuel line and replace it in one piece. Under hood fires are no fun. All it takes is one of those little stainless steel clamps to break and it's bye bye vette! I just replaced a clamp on the wife's van today that was put there buy the GM dealership that replaced her rear fuel filter. Twisted the line off, cut it back a couple inches and installed a piece of rubber hose with 2 hose clamps.The 1st hose clamp broke about a year ago. Fuel was spraying out, covered the whole underneath of the pass side( Exhaust side too!). I only had one clamp so I replaced it thinking it was a fluke for it to break. Replaced the other today after the same thing happened again!! It is only temperary till i can get a new line from GM. I'm fixing it right this time. Nothing to mess with!!!
UGH!! Rubber fuel line?? Holy fire under my hood Batman!

GO here and spend the $30.
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...dept%5Fid=1818

Then get a set of these:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00944986000

And finally one of these:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...ubcat=Wrenches

The right tools help. No pliers or vice grips on my fuel line please!
Old 04-01-2006, 07:51 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

Don't worry so much. Let's say you were able to unbolt the carb without damaging the vacuum port or the fuel line. Then as you were pulling the carb off the intake, your elbow knocked a bunch of those little nuts down your intake manifold. At that point, you would gladly trade a couple of easily replaced parts for your current predicament. So, right now, get out your little shop vac and vacuum up all those little nut shells, then, relax and have a beer.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:53 PM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

This is the way we learn. At least you're not afraid of getting your hands dirty. Disassembly is always the worst part. Finding the replacement part is the next hardest. Reassembly is almost enjoyable. Party afterwards and enjoying your own effort is priceless.

Get notified of new replies

To Settle in for a good laugh (a.k.a. what have I done?)

Old 04-01-2006, 07:57 PM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

I want to watch you fix it....... .....
Old 04-01-2006, 07:59 PM
BanGnGearS
Racer

Sorry to steal your thread, but i eleminated that blue vacuum port that he destroyed.. I dont need that if i eliminated my emissions right?
Old 04-01-2006, 08:36 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by evil herbavore

Quick Reply: Settle in for a good laugh (a.k.a. what have I done?)