C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

door stuck closed

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default door stuck closed

I've done a search and tried everything I've seen suggested. I removed the drivers seat and door panel. I've lubed up the latch assembly with penetrating oil. I've got two passenger latches, one on the door and a spare. I've been playing with both so I can understand how it works. The drivers latch appears to funtion normally except the latch won't release from the striker. The lock rods and both door latches seem to function as they should. Nothing is disconnected and all the levers on the latch assembly have full travel.

Please help, I'm stumped.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:44 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

The door is not locked?
Old 04-01-2006, 05:53 PM
Aflac
Race Director

Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

mine did this..the only way i got mine to open was to fiddle with both handles at the same time furiously. after that, i took the latch mechanism out and sprayed it down with brake cleaner and re-lubed the mechanism.. dont get frustrated...been there and it sucks!
Old 04-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg

Nope, not locked. Unless the lock rods and levers are functioning as they should but the locking mechanism inside the latch assembly is not unlocking.

With the door unlocked, using the door latches you feel it pulling as it should. With the door locked, they are easy to move. I can definatly tell when the door is locked and unlocked. It's just that the sumbitch won't open.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:28 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

There are three levers inside the door latch mechanism. They are stacked one ot top of each other over a common pivot. The top lever is the Open lever. It's operated by either the inside door handle or the outside door handle. The bottom lever is a trigger lever. When the door is closed, against the body stricker, the trigger is set. When the middle lever is in the Unlock position, the upper lever will push against the bottom trigger lever and unlatch the door. When the middle lever is in the LOCK position, the middle lever acts as a derailler. Even though the top lever moves to the unlock position, it now cannot contact the bottom, third most trigger lever. These levers are of 0.070 inch soft steel and are easily bent. Once the inner derailler lever is bent, you just won't be able to get the door to open normally.

Look at a door latch mechanism. The bottom trigger lever can be reached by a long thin blade screw driver. If you don't have a door latch mechanism to clearly look at, buy one. They cost $100 from Corvette vendors. Now practice on the door that does work. (You have to remove the interior vinyl panel.)

I did this. It took a long time of tedious tries and failures. Finally, I did snap the trigger and opened the door.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:40 AM
BanGnGearS
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 79.. my doors are terrible.. i hate to do the tedious things that it involves.. in order to open my driver side door i have to hit the handle real hard an quick for it to pop.. from the inside it operates fine.. on the passenger side the outside handle doesn't work at all, only from the inside... there aren't too many spaces to work on the internals of that door at all... frustrating
Old 04-02-2006, 08:23 AM
Aflac
Race Director

Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

like 68/70 said, the 3 levers make the system work. if you can peek down through the window slot and see the mechanism, you wan the one that is on the lower right (if memory serves right). go buy a piece of metal rod that is just small enough to fit through the slot (coat hanger will not work--not enough spine to it) and bend a small "L" or a "V" on the end of it. slide it down into the hole and get it around the latch tab and pull up. also, if you have small enough arms, take the window motor access panel off and try to reach through that way to the mechanism.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Luckily before this happened, I had pulled the seats to remove the center console. I do have both door panels off. I can push pull stab stick poke and prod that little bastard, but it isn't letting go.

The lever that gets pushed down that releases the latch mechanism moves its full travel. I can take a pick of my spare latch if someone can point to what I need to do to get that thing to let go.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Anyone got any other suggestions?
Old 04-03-2006, 02:54 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Spray the works again with WD-40 or something similar. When this happened to me, it was because the door was locked. I was able to stick a wire hook down through the window crack and help the mechanism get a little more travel as I worked the key back and forth. This might work for you with the handle.
Can you lock and unlock the door? Do you hear it click when it locks and unlocks?
Old 04-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

The lock mechanism seems to be working. The door panel is off, so I can see the rods moving as well as I can feel the difference in the door handles when the door is locked and unlocked. I'm gonna take a wire hanger out and start poking at it some more tonight. I've almost emptied half a can of PB Blaster into the door latch. Everything seems to move freely, that's the most confusing part to me.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:06 PM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

I would just keep playing with those three levers like posted above. If those levers are working correctly and not bent then I would just go back to the origin. Check out your spare and see what has to move for the door to release. My 74 driver door was jammed real nice b/c the release spring (really small thin circle spring) broke off and fell into the latch and binded the son of a.... up. I did the same thing you are; pokin, cusin and given that thing shaken latch syndrom. Spray some brake cleaner or degreeser, use an air comp to blow out any debris and see if any garbage has that thing jammed. Eventually you'll touch something and the damn thing will pop open. Still would buy a new latch to avoid the blood pressure spikes. Good luck.
BTW I had an alaskan malamute, best dog I've ever had unfortunately he passed almost a year ago. Missed him in the snow this year. Definitely getting another one soon. Again, Good luck with both.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:10 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Someone posted pictures of the latch, showing how to pop it open with a screwdriver a while back, but when I did my search the pics weren't hosted anymore. Hopefully, he'll see this and post them again.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Tex71BB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's no consolation, but I'm in the same boat. I've worked several hours on my pass door and it still won't open!!! It's hard not to get frustrated.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:20 PM
stram8777
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the same boat as well, my passenger side door is stuck shut but good. Is this a common problem on sharks? It is killing me trying to get the door open. Though I have to say that my door panel is still on my door and the seat is still in. Any pictures of getting the latch open would be great.

edit:

I just saw the picture. Guess it didn't load before I posted. Thanks that will help out quite a bit.

Last edited by stram8777; 04-03-2006 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

My latch looks little different than the one in the pic, but the small lever where the tip of the screwdriver is located is the same. I've gone so far as to tap the screwdriver with a rubber mallet. I can easily open the passenger door with that method but hat isn't the problem. With my spare latch I can hold that lever down and easily open the latch that closes over the striker. I can't budge the one on the stuck door. I'm thinking that there is something stuck in there as mentioned above. I'll crank up the air compressor and blow it out tonight. I'll take some pics while I'm at it in case it doesn't open again.

This is becoming a real problem. I'm planning on attending a show on the 22nd. Hate to show up and get out of the car all Dukes of Hazzard style.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:06 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

While your playing with the latches from the inside, have
someone kinda push upwards on the door. Maybe the latch
is holding on the striker with alot of weight from the door.

GOOD LUCK

Get notified of new replies

To door stuck closed

Old 04-04-2006, 12:33 AM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Here are some pics of my latch. Click to make them bigger.

Here it is in the locked position:

Here it is in the unlocked position:

Here it is in the unlocked position with the door handle pulled. Notice the red circled area. Both tabs are at their full travel and are resting on the travel stop:

I've checked against the spare latch. The only thing I have left to think is that the latch is not actually unlocking inside the latch housing where it is not possible to see. I have pressed the screwdriver up from the bottom and pressed the levers inside to their full travel. I also blew 100psi compressed air through the thing and nothing came out except a few drops of penetrating oil.

I did change the door weatherstripping about 6 weeks ago. I have pushed the door up, down, in and pulled it out while trying the door latch. This thing just isn't letting go.

Last edited by Ak. Mal; 04-04-2006 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:36 AM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

have u tried to unloosen the door hinge bolts from the inside...., u might be able to get enough wiggle to get it open.

b
Old 04-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Darrel1
Racer

With new seals the force to unlatch goes up until the seals take a permanate set. Here is what I would try (sorry if you have done this already).

1. make sure the door latch is not locked- use your key and watch to make sure the lever on the latch moves, move the **** on the door- make sure the lever moves on the latch

2. Whichever release lever you have the easiest access to, perform the following
While pushing the door in (to relieve the seal pressure), trigger the latch using the lever you have easiest access to. While holding the lever open- manually try and pull the door open.

Quick Reply: door stuck closed