C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZZ4 heads / exhaust header question.

Old 08-16-2001, 07:20 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default ZZ4 heads / exhaust header question.

I am going to switch my stock L-48 over to the ZZ4 motor soon.
What type of exhaust ports are on the ZZ4 motor ?
Will I be able to use my stock exhaust?
Will I need "special" headers, or will normal headers for a 1980 Corvette w/ 350 work.
Thanks,
Old 08-16-2001, 08:49 PM
JCL
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: ZZ4 heads / exhaust header question. (BSeery)

HI BRYAN. I HAD LOOKED AT THAT SET UP ALSO IN THE BEGINNING. ALSO HAD THE L-48. WANTED TO HAVE HH SIDEPIPES AND THE ANGLE PLUG HEADS ON A ZZ4 WOULDN'T WORK. HAD TO SWITCH SOME THINGS SO IT WASN'T PRACTICAL FOR ME. JUST AS WELL. HAD AN OLD FRIEND WHO HAS BUILT ENGINES FOR 30 YEARS DO ME A "383" KICK foot MOTOR!!! COST A LITTLE LESS FOR THE MOTOR THAN THE ZZ4 WOULD HAVE BEEN. MIGHT WANT TO FIND A LOCAL GUY TO DO THAT FOR YOU. JUST A THOUGHT!!! JCL :cool: :chevy THE "383" WITH THE PIPES AND MY BAFFLES MAKE THE VETTE A VETTE AGAIN!!!!
Old 08-16-2001, 10:20 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ

Default Re: ZZ4 heads / exhaust header question. (JCL)

Thanks, but I am definatly going with the ZZ4
Old 08-16-2001, 11:19 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

The ZZ4 has essentially the same head design of the L89 (C4) It has d-ports, with angled plugs.

You should be able to use your stock manifolds, but wh would you want to. I would reccomend going the extra yard and step up to a nice set of headders. The ZZ4 will produce much more HP than you stock motor - provided it breathes properly. Using the stock cast Iorn manifolds will greatly reduce the Breathing capability of the ZZ4. If you are going to spend 3k on the motor spend an additional 500-700 on headers and exahust, it will be money well spent.

BTW... the Hooker Headders will fit on the ZZ4 with out modifications. A couple of the plugs are a little hard to reach but they definately work. See sig! :D

[Modified by Mike69, 9:20 PM 8/16/2001]
Old 08-16-2001, 11:33 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

Jim Pace has D-port Heddars made by Headman for the ZZ4. That is what I put on my ZZ4. You can get them in black or coated. Check out Jim Paces website at http://www.paceparts.com/ (sorry haven't figured out how to post links yet). Look under SPECIALS. Call them and tell them you are installing them in a Vette and they will fix you right up. The heddars start at $169.95 I like them and you can get to all the spark plugs. They also clear the clutch z-bar.
John
Old 08-16-2001, 11:38 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

By the way you are going to love the ZZ4. What a great choice. I am taking my 71 to the track next month and hope to have a 13 second time slip to show off. My friend has a 98 SS Camaro and we have run from stoplight to stoplight and we are very even (who ever gets the holeshot wins) and he just ran his at the track and came home with a 13.62 @ 104 as his best time (his first time drag racing) :eek: I can't wait.
John
Old 08-16-2001, 11:44 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ

Default Re: ZZ4 heads / exhaust header question. (theandies)

thank much -- now to order the motor ---- where is that credit card anyway ???

Honey ??? where did you hide it this time ??
Old 08-17-2001, 02:55 PM
Roofless
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I just installed a ZZ4 with the FB heads and I bought a set of the ne4w Sanderson headers and they7 are great, easy to install and look wonderful. The only negative thing I have to report is that they insist that you don't need to use any RTb to establish a seal and that is definatly not correct. If you arte going to use the standard ZZ4 then the "normal" ones should work.
Old 08-18-2001, 12:43 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: ZZ4 heads / exhaust header question. (Roofless)

what heads does the zz4 use and what are the cam specs? :D
Old 08-18-2001, 11:39 AM
fugale
Advanced

Default Re: ZZ4 heads / exhaust header question. (LT1driver)

LT1 - Concerning your question about the heads and cam in the ZZ4. The pace site at; http://www.paceparts.com does a great write up on the crate motors. It also goes into detail on the specs of the motors. Just to summarize: the heads are Aluminum 58 cc with 1.94 intake and 1.50 exhaust. The cam is a hydraulic roller, lift .474 intake and .510 exhaust, duration of .208 intake and .221 exhaust. What this really means, you got me, other than it is a great combination.

I will, today, start with my own transplant of my L48 to a ZZ4. I'll be doing this myself, with the help of my friends. It'll a few days after the removing the motor to clean up the engine bay. Then will install the ZZ4, probably next weekend. After reading about the Heddman headers at the pace site, I'll be saving my pennies to buy them... I'll re-install my stock manifolds for now...

BSeery, if you need any support or have any questions, feel free to send them my way. I don't promise to have all the answers, but will give you any moral support you may need. I think you have already decided to go with the ZZ4, in my opinion, its not a bad choice.
Old 08-18-2001, 01:28 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ

Default Re: ZZ4 heads / exhaust header question. (fugale)

Fugale -- Is there any chance you could do full right up of the swap for the Tech Tips section ????
I know that I will be doing my swap in about 1 month. I am sure others will be doing a swap shortly or have been thinking about it.

If you could document all the steps that you had to take to change out the motors and the problems and solutions, maybe others would take the plunge and put some more power under their hoods.

If not, send me an e-mail with all of the gotchas and warnings !!

Get notified of new replies

To ZZ4 heads / exhaust header question.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ZZ4 heads / exhaust header question.