C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'73 bumper replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 06:06 PM
lagnaf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '73 bumper replacement

I've got a '73 vert and am courious if anyone's run into any problems replacing the front bumper. I ordered a Tru Flex bumper and it simply doesn't fit. There's a good 1 1/2" gap between the bumper and the fiberglass of the front of the car. At issue is the bumper frame structure. It seems to be "in the way" as it were.

Someone told me that they thought I should remove the bumper frame and install the bumper. This isn't something I would like to do.

Anyone run into this same issue? If so... any ideas?

Old 03-03-2013, 06:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YES...I have run into fit issues when installing rigid fiberglass and "flex-glass" bumpers.

I have not nor WILL NOT remove any of the impact structure when installing a bumper cover (front or rear).

I have gone in and tried to find the area where the impact structure is binding with the bumper. Sometimes I can pull the impact bar back towards the rear of the car...so the bumper will fit. Sometimes I have to file or grind on some of the inside of the bumper...along with lightly filing and/or grinding on areas of the front impact bar assembly.

It is a "balancing act"...on where to move "things" and where to grind/file.

Not only that...it is also making sure that the front grilles fit correctly and look correct when everything is installed.

I have tricks in getting the seam between the front bumper cover to the front end so there are no gaps and the bumper is flush. I personally like teh rigid fiberglass bumpers when doing this. The "problem" with the "flex" bumpers...in my opinion is just that...they flex and it is SUPER important in getting the mounting flanges as flush to the body as possible in the mounting areas.

I have done more than I can count and I can EASILY have a 2 days+ in getting everything figured out.

DUB
Old 03-03-2013, 07:16 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

I did run into a similar issue. My beam did not hold the bumper away from the body but it did cause the fiberglass to start showing where the back side of the bumper was toughing the steel beam. I remove the beam.

My install page
Old 03-03-2013, 10:00 PM
mrmagrath
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=DUB;1583268926 I have done more than I can count and I can EASILY have a 2 days+ in getting everything figured out.

DUB[/QUOTE]

And if it takes someone with DUB's knowlege and ability a couple of days to get right.......
Old 03-04-2013, 12:35 AM
lagnaf
Instructor

Default Install page

Thank you so much for the install photos. Very helpful pointers.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:42 AM
WHITE 1974
Instructor

The shop that did the front and back on my 74 does them all the time and as has been mentioned it took a long time and 65% of the cost to do the front as apposed to the back,he did do an excellent job though

Get notified of new replies

To '73 bumper replacement

Quick Reply: '73 bumper replacement