C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

scat crank?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 07:11 PM
LIQUIDDRAGON
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default scat crank?

ok so i know about scat cranks but only the VW ones sense i am a big VW bug fan and i love those little cars as much as i love my vette but i have never really heard to much about their cranks for the SBC 350's and i was wanting to know if anyone on here has one of their cast steel stock stroke cranks and hwo they like it. all comments are welcome.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:39 PM
lvjohn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 71 BB corvette very happy with my scat crank
Old 03-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

I got one in my 357 monster the cast steel cranks are good to 600hp and 7k revs.. Dave
Old 03-16-2006, 08:03 PM
LIQUIDDRAGON
Melting Slicks

thanks for the reply's guys. i ordered one a few minutes before i posted this. i should have it by saturday i think. i cant wait to get it
Old 03-16-2006, 08:05 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Ran a stock stroke 3.48" Scat cast crank in a 370hp 2-barrel circle track sbc (6800-7200 rpm) for 3 seasons with no complaint on crank ... motor finally grenaded when a $75 forged Ross piston's wrist pin boss went one way and its crown went the other. That $150 Scat CAST crank was not at fault ... but was destroyed along everything but the heads. Also had a Scat CAST stroker 3.8" crank in a street sbc ... no problems.

Scat's an asian casting ... (try & find an aftermarket cast crank that ain't) ... but they hold up well. My machinist doesn't like them because they can take a little extra work to balance (true) and some journals not always indexed correctly (true). I'd buy Scat again.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:04 PM
jetvette
Instructor

David Vizard has a great write up on Scat cranks in his "How to Build SBC's on a Budget" I highly recommend the read. Shows and discusses balancing as well as the reasons they are so strong
Old 03-16-2006, 09:13 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I have a Scat 9000 crank in mine, 546HP @ 6500 RPM's not a problem

BTW I read Vizard's book

Last edited by MotorHead; 03-16-2006 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:13 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts

since you already ordered one, i'm not sure what the point of the thread is.
i've heard alot of people say they like them. as for me, i'd never buy one. scat, and eagle, (pro topline, too, i think) are chinease. just aside from the heebee jeebees of putting chinease stuff in my ride, i have a political beef with bejing. so, i don't care if i could get a gold plated diamond cut life-sized doll of pam anderson for $10, i ain't buying it if it comes from china.
but that's just me.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:31 PM
LIQUIDDRAGON
Melting Slicks

i was under the asumption that they were made in house down in Redondo Beach, CA where they are located. am i wrong?

http://www.scatcrankshafts.com/
Old 03-16-2006, 10:36 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

THey ( eagle and scat ) "might" get their steel offshore but the machine work in done in the USA I can't stand the CHinese copying everything either but this is a litte different
Old 03-16-2006, 10:44 PM
thermoquad
Racer

doesn't look like chinamen working on 'em does it? wonder if they're forged or whatever in china and then the finish machine work is done stateside--they evidently hire machinists for somethin'
Old 03-17-2006, 12:23 AM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

There just isn't much that is cast or forged in North America anymore,almost all of the raw pieces come from China and are finished in Mexico,packaged in the States or Canada and called "Made in the USA".Scat,Eagle,Crower,Manley,Edelbrock, Comp,Crane, and the others,you are more than welcome to prove me wrong!
Old 03-17-2006, 07:32 AM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I never thought I'd get this way but I now try to buy US made items. I can't even force myself to shop in Walmart and I'm from the UK.

To each there own but I'm to the point of paying more to try and keep jobs here.

I have however heard good things about Scat cranks. If all machining is done in the US then OK since as mentioned most forgings are no longer done here. Sorry to rant in this thread.

VW's are cool! My brother inlaw used to run rail buggies and built some very strong motors.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:45 AM
LIQUIDDRAGON
Melting Slicks

this is what i owned before the vette

Old 03-17-2006, 07:59 AM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

That is just too cool! Love the flat window ones.
I had MG Migets and AH Sprites before and during the vette. Of course the electrics were replaced with ford or GM items.

Fun making the olds cars with simple motors surprise folks.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:41 AM
LIQUIDDRAGON
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DaveL82
That is just too cool! Love the flat window ones.
I had MG Migets and AH Sprites before and during the vette. Of course the electrics were replaced with ford or GM items.

Fun making the olds cars with simple motors surprise folks.

my uncle is a wiring genious and he made a new wiring harness for the car. the wiring is always the first thing that i try to replace.

Old 03-17-2006, 09:07 AM
vho69
Racer

I use to have A buggy to had A 2275 moter with dual weber 48s and A forged scat crank in that put out about 175 hp. that was A fun ride.

Get notified of new replies

To scat crank?

Old 03-17-2006, 09:18 AM
davidarborg
Instructor

Originally Posted by tfi racing
There just isn't much that is cast or forged in North America anymore,almost all of the raw pieces come from China and are finished in Mexico,packaged in the States or Canada and called "Made in the USA".Scat,Eagle,Crower,Manley,Edelbrock, Comp,Crane, and the others,you are more than welcome to prove me wrong!
Winberg is American forged and finished or am I wrong?
Old 03-17-2006, 09:24 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

For the record. I read a letter written by SCAT president to one of the car mags about 6 months ago. I forget which one it was but it could have been Chevy High Performance or Super Chevy. It was a very well written, articulate letter outlining the company's operations and their goals for quality products. He also went into the off-shore thing a bit. It seems that his company was unable to secure quality raw material in the united states and so therefore was forced to go offshore. Because of the laws and what he referred to as "predatory lawyers and regulations" he cannot state that his products are manufactured in America. He stated that he takes a 500 lb (?) ingot and his people machine it into a 50 lb crank, performing all of the work, quality control, R&D, etc. required to build this product but he cannot state that it is made in America. The letter really opened my eyes into what manufacturers in this country must go through in order to do business here. It amazes me that we have any manufacturing at all given the regulations, social legislation, entitlements, etc. that a company must adhere to. I had to applaud his efforts to keep his employees working. So before you write off any company as cheap foreign junk take a minute and do some research. You may be surprised at what you find. Just my $.02

BTW I did try to google this but it seems the mags don't archive letters to the editor. I wish they did, it was an excellent letter.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:22 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts

vettfixr,
while not trying to turn this into a P&C topic, i'll take some exception to that. actually, and more accurately, i think there was alot left out. what manufacturers can get from china often times costs them less, substantially less, than what they would get from korea or taiwan or some other nation. the difference? they can sell the same product at the same price and put alot more green in their pocket. now i'm all for making a profit so i won't begrudge someone looking for the best deal. i do have a problem when the all mighty dollar trumps morals and people choose to turn a blind eye to the oppressive sweat shops china runs while the money these people hand over for those products are then converted into arms, some of which are pointed at the west coast of our country.
if you think china is our "friend" then many of you have forgotten the last 50 years, and most recently how our "friends" tried to ram our airplane into the ocean and then held our crew and property hostage for 3 weeks after they made a heroic landing on that chinaese patch of dirt known as hinon island.
free china. down with bejing.

Quick Reply: scat crank?