C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body off question? brace points

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Mr. No Name
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body off question? brace points

Hey, I have been searching this site for a while now while stripping all the accesories off the vette, and I have seen a few pics of the body being lifted off, but I was wondering if there is an ideal place to lift the body off from... By that I mean is there any one area on the body that is stroner than the other?

Even though I have been a member for a while, I think this is the first time I've posted, but I just wanted to say that all the info I have recieved from reading this site has been invaluable. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:54 AM
Mr. No Name
Cruising

Really? No takers? Seriously, I think I know the answer, but come on, somebody else has got to know for sure...
Old 03-02-2006, 01:07 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's 1 am, people are asleep...

To answer your Q...

I had friends, 3 on each side, under the front wheel opening, under the door, under the rear wheel opening...on the count to three, all lifted and the body was off in a matter of seconds.

If you don't have 6 friends, then a cherry picker and straps placed under the door works just fine. Don't remove the doors during the lifting process.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:17 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

The factory used the fender wells. Hooked it with big padded jaws on an overhead fixture. Litterally suspended it by the fiberglass fenders. I use the same method in my shop except I also support it in the center of the side rail at the rocker panel.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:30 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 74 Posts

body-off
The instructions that came with the lift straps say to place the front hook infront of the doors and the rear hook at the back of the doors. Making sure they hook onto the rocker channels.
If you use them, make sure your rocker channels aren't so bad that they can't hold.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:08 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

There are dozens of books and magazine articles dealing with Shark body removal. Check the aftermarket providers and the magazine web sites for the How-To info. Before you make the lift, you should have a body dolly ready since the body will need to be properly supported once it's off the frame. Good luck.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:50 PM
BigJim13 JR.
Instructor

Originally Posted by redwingvette
body-off
The instructions that came with the lift straps say to place the front hook infront of the doors and the rear hook at the back of the doors. Making sure they hook onto the rocker channels.
If you use them, make sure your rocker channels aren't so bad that they can't hold.
that is certainly the easiest way to go as well as the safest way. the sling is about 70 bucks buts well worth the assurance of not drop the body from 4+ feet in the air. for the hoist you probobobly should get a 1.5 ton hoist (because there isnt much of a price difference between 1 and 1.5) and as where to put it, either build an A frame outta 4x4's high enough or in our case our barn was high enough and the i beam across the center could hold more than enough weight.

and really wouldnt reccomend the friend option. that body weights more than you think and all it takes is someone to give out to send that body crashing to the floor probobly on top of some of your buddies

also make sure to make a cart to set the body on so you can roll it out of the way and out of trouble. the last thng you want to do is put something through the windshield cause that will just make you go BONKERS the cart also suports the body and such so there is no warping in the fiberglass or any splintering of the front end

BIGJIM
Old 03-02-2006, 03:54 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BigJim13 JR.
and really wouldnt reccomend the friend option. that body weights more than you think and all it takes is someone to give out to send that body crashing to the floor probobly on top of some of your buddies

BIGJIM

Sorry, you are wrong on this....that's how I lifted the body on mine...the body is not as heavy as you make it out to be, even with the steering column in place...seats removed, top, hood, and deck lid removed, doors in place....a snap to remove the body....that's all it took, 3 guys per side, and one to roll the chassis out.... .

Last edited by GDaina; 03-02-2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Mr. No Name
Cruising

Thanks Guys!

I've made a body dolly to support the body at the same points that the frame provides. Because I have totally stripped everything out of it, including the glass (I had a basketball hoop blow down and thru it! ), so it should be pretty light. I assume the doors provide extra rigidity when having your buddies lift?

I think I am going to opt for the 6 buddy method. It just sounds like an excuse to have a party...
Old 03-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

The body slings that are available will actually INCREASE the chances of dropping it IF the rocker channels are rusted out. Make certain they are solid before using one of those. I opted for slings that I fed all the way under the body at each pillar post. Leave the radiator frame in place and provide for some support under that once the body is off. Don't leave the nose un-supported. It's a long story but I learned that lesson the hard way.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Gr8Wht
CF Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10-'12

Check this thread out....
Body Lift

I recommend purchasing a body lift strap. Place the straps as shown in my pics. and adjust if needed. I used a thin rope to tie the front-end just to make sure it didn't crack off or fall (from reading here), but it's not necessary. Also, the body lift straps will be longer then needed, so you will have to tie knots in them. The body weights around 800 lbs.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:16 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mr. No Name
I think I am going to opt for the 6 buddy method. It just sounds like an excuse to have a party...
Exactly, I bought a keg, grilled a lot of brats, the wife, (X now) made kraut...it was short work and partied all day and into the night...

Do remove the radiator and leave the doors and the rad support in place for support. You need an extra person to wheel the rolling chassis out from under the frame.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:37 PM
DR.Jay
Burning Brakes

I lifted the body off my '78 by myself with help from my wife to push out the chassis. I had jacked up the body with a floor jack, and blocks of wood until I could get some 4x4s between the body and frame. I then used 4 wratchet straps rated at 900lbs each at the corners. The lift was done a little at a time until I had enough clearance. Then My wife helped roll the frame out of the way.

DR. Jay
Old 03-04-2006, 03:04 PM
CarQz17
Advanced

I hooked two straps to the factory lift holes in the firewall, and one thru the filler neck hole with a 4x4 underneath for support.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:59 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Check this out.
Wonder if Bob has more pics of this?

Looks like a good excuse to go get a lift.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:53 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Another pic...
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Body off question? brace points

Quick Reply: Body off question? brace points