C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gremlins Or Bubba

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 11:02 PM
DR.Jay
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gremlins Or Bubba

I was working on the '78 this evening, and had a strange electrical problem. To start I was checking things over for the state safety inspection. When I turned on the wipers nothing happened, so I opened the hood to check the connection all was good. Next I opened the door to check the fuse, and suddenly the wipers & blower started to work. Thats strange? I then closed the hood wipers & blower stoped open hood, wipers & blower start??? Close door wipers & blower stop

Now I'm really curious, so I am thinking that when both the alarm switches close it grounds the wiper, and blower circuts. I ran a jumper wire to the Blower case ground wire, and closed the door, everything stoped. Now I grounded the case to the engine block, and everthing started. I decided it was time to get out the assembly manual. After some reading, and checking all the ground connections, and running out of beer!!!! I found that the connection on the right hand rear side of the block was missing. I did some more checking and found that the wire that Bubba was using for his redneck alarm siren (removed when I first brought the car home) ground was the missing ground wire. I crimped on a new a new loop, and attached it to a bell housing bolt, and all is good. Now if I could just get the horn to work. (bad switch)

DR. Jay
Old 02-21-2006, 11:17 PM
TOM B1
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Keep at it Jay. Grounds are very important to fiberglass cars, Your horns also need grounding, dont think that just because there mounted to metal that the metal part is grounded, cound have corrosion between the bolts or metals, check for continuity everywhere
Old 02-21-2006, 11:23 PM
mbeeman350
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'09

Going throught the same same thing on mine. An all original California car but again..all original. Had grounding problems with parking lights, wipers, horn etc... All I had to due was loosen conections or bolts clean with a wire brush and spritsh (spray) with some WD40 or Silicone to seal it for another 30+ years
Old 02-22-2006, 05:40 AM
kb2fzq
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mbeeman350
...and spritsh (spray) with some...
Spritz?
haben Sie einen annehmbaren Deutschen?
I do...
Old 02-22-2006, 08:03 AM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Location: Wilmington DE, Drive it like you stole it, 68 327 4 speed coupe
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kb2fzq
Spritz?
haben Sie einen annehmbaren Deutschen?
I do...

Ich haben keinen annehmbaren, und ich weise noch nicth was annehnbaren ist??/ Kannen sie bitte eklaraung fur mich: ( wir haben keine umlau )

Tschuss

Die Konig aus Bayern
Old 02-22-2006, 08:20 AM
kb2fzq
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sweethence
Ich haben keinen annehmbaren, und ich weise noch nicth was annehnbaren ist??/ Kannen sie bitte eklaraung fur mich: ( wir haben keine umlau )

Tschuss

Die Konig aus Bayern
Ich habe gefragt, wenn er eine deutsche Familie gehabt hat...
Actually, asked if he was from a German decent....
Yeah...I don't have an umlau either...
Old 02-22-2006, 08:32 AM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Ich habe gefragt, wenn er eine deutsche Familie gehabt hat...
Actually, asked if he was from a German decent....
Yeah...I don't have an umlau either...

Ah so alle ist jest Klar. Ich habe nur gewhonst im deutchland fur funf jaren, ich war ein panzer commander am der alte ost west deutche grenze. Und meine deutch is ein bistien aml Bayerisch.

Servous
Und Tschuss
Old 02-22-2006, 08:36 AM
DR.Jay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TOM B1
Keep at it Jay. Grounds are very important to fiberglass cars, Your horns also need grounding, dont think that just because there mounted to metal that the metal part is grounded, cound have corrosion between the bolts or metals, check for continuity everywhere
I had the body off the car, and I cleaned all the grounds, and used Dielectric grease on all the grounding points to prevent corrosion when I put the body back on. I also replaced any corroded ground straps to all the horns, and lights. It's just good prventative maintainance.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:47 AM
kb2fzq
Burning Brakes

Ah so alle ist jest Klar. Ich habe nur gewhonst im deutchland fur funf jaren, ich war ein panzer commander am der alte ost west deutche grenze. Und meine deutch is ein bistien aml Bayerisch.

Servous
Und Tschuss
Interesting...during the Cold War...not WWII, like during the time the wall came down, I assume? Since both my parents passed away (many years) I've gotten a little rusty, and Bavarian?...I'm trying sweethence...
Old 02-22-2006, 08:51 AM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Interesting...during the Cold War...not WWII, like during the time the wall came down, I assume? Since both my parents passed away (many years) I've gotten a little rusty, and Bavarian?...I'm trying sweethence...
Mach die keine sorgen meine freunde, wir kannen english gesprecht.....

Yeah exactly,, i patroled the border till the wall came down in 89, thought the ruskies didnt actually leave the sector till 90. I was in a town called Bad Kissengen. Our base was Camp Lee at the 1 k zone, and our position was OP Tennesee. Those were some wild days, we were the first americans to go east since the war. what a wild bucnh of parties and women and song. Many a cool story Czech, Slovakia, Poland, Russia, hungary.... the saying used to be show me a former soviet block babe with a boyfrined and ill show you one who wants to date an American

USA USA

Tim

Last edited by sweethence; 02-22-2006 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:11 AM
kb2fzq
Burning Brakes

Very cool....My family is from Deblinghausen...it's upper middle Germany..the Hanover province, grandpa came over in 1895...mom's family was from Romania (actually Bokavina then)...their language was that of the occupier at the time, but was mostly German..rumors were grandma said "The Bear" were the ones to be careful of as far as occupiers...I'm sure the stories are remarkable in your case....maybe we can do an eyeball story or two next time we trip up to Lake Placid...but sun is out, and warming down here, gotta do a slight readjust to the new exhaust on the vette, so better get to it..
Wir werden bald reden
Old 02-22-2006, 09:16 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Der deutchen fraulien mit grossen lungen und nict brazieren ist serr ausgetsichnet

-Mark.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:19 AM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Very cool....My family is from Deblinghausen...it's upper middle Germany..the Hanover province, grandpa came over in 1895...mom's family was from Romania (actually Bokavina then)...their language was that of the occupier at the time, but was mostly German..rumors were grandma said "The Bear" were the ones to be careful of as far as occupiers...I'm sure the stories are remarkable in your case....maybe we can do an eyeball story or two next time we trip up to Lake Placid...but sun is out, and warming down here, gotta do a slight readjust to the new exhaust on the vette, so better get to it..
Wir werden bald reden

Alle so gut, Gluck mit dem Auslassventil !!

Wenn sie in rochester gekommen fur einen schoen besuch sind Ja?

Die Koinig

Last edited by sweethence; 02-22-2006 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:22 AM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by stingr69
Der deutchen fraulien mit grossen lungen und nict brazieren ist serr ausgetsichnet

-Mark.
Groose oder Kleine egal was. Fur mich sind die schoenen Beine das Beste. Im frankoniche ( Franken wald) wir sagen Superduperoberaufenguile !!!!!!

Gut geln?
Old 02-22-2006, 09:24 AM
kb2fzq
Burning Brakes

Alle so gut, Gluck mit dem Auslassventil !!

Wenn sie in rochester gekommen für einen schoen besuch sind Ja?

Die Koinig
That's right...I confused you with the guy in Ausable, really upstate, but you're in Rochester...ABSOLUTELY!! Next cruise out that way, we'll look ya up!
Old 02-22-2006, 09:30 AM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

That's right...I confused you with the guy in Ausable, really upstate, but you're in Rochester...ABSOLUTELY!! Next cruise out that way, we'll look ya up!

yeah he is way up there, near montreal, I up here in the Roc, I started the Upstate NY thread i think you were a part of.

I drove the old boy to work today, DD is in the shop getting a starter put in, you know that old 327 of mine is more reliable that my newer car!! Ive got my projects all stacked up and ready to go. but no garage so ill have to wait for it to warm up

Und Tschuss!!!!

Tim

Get notified of new replies

To Gremlins Or Bubba

Quick Reply: Gremlins Or Bubba